What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hurricane Irma, Category 5 and heading for Florida!..BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

brown_thumb

A neighbor here has a brother who owns a 'hurricane-proof' home in Rockport, Texas. The home is fine... except Harvey blue the roof off and it's completely soaked inside. Hurricane-proof.....

Satyros

Given how often the area gets these things, how come everything seems to get built out of wood? I'd expect heavy duty wind farms, wave power generators and hurricane proof buildings to be standard by now. Just lucky in the UK I guess. 2 weeks of sun and 50 weeks of clouds seems a good deal right now.

A lot of the coastal stuff is presumed to be disposable and replaceable--more of a "rebuilding" industry than making castles. Also there is not much stone in Florida or most of the Atlantic Coast until Maine.

Anyway, that's what the construction people told me--why build anything that lasts, when I can get another job to go repair what's left?

Looking like it's going to follow Florida's west side up towards Tennessee right now.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Satyros, thanks man, didn't know that about the geology of the states.
Figured maybe the tale of the 3 little pigs hadn't made it to the states. Didn't consider that jobs and material transport costs would be put ahead of safety.

St. Phatty

You just summed up the United States.

About 46 Superfund sites in the path of the Storm.

Not good for drinking water supplies.

I can guarantee you that very concerned water scientists expressed grave concern about that simple problem - and were over-ruled.

Which happens very often in the US.

I am surprised at some of the passive responses I am witnessing to the storm.

One woman acquaintance, the proverbial Facebook friend, is planning to sit in a frame built house in Tampa and pray ... literally.

That is their plan. She's about 45, would have been 20 when Hurricane Andrew happened. There's a new husband there to advocate for a more surviveable plan, but that does not appear to be happening.

It looks like a lot of folks on Florida's West Coast thought it was going up the East Coast.

Then they woke up Saturday morning & found out that the path had shifted.

Meanwhile, East West highways are a traffic jam - and North South highways are worse. So all of a sudden the whole situation is looking like the intro to a disaster movie like "San Andreas".

Hurricane Andrew surprised people by turning at the last minute and plowing into Homestead, Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew

That could still happen with Irma - but I wouldn't plan on it.

Badfishy1

A lot of the coastal stuff is presumed to be disposable and replaceable--more of a "rebuilding" industry than making castles. Also there is not much stone in Florida or most of the Atlantic Coast until Maine.

Anyway, that's what the construction people told me--why build anything that lasts, when I can get another job to go repair what's left?

Looking like it's going to follow Florida's west side up towards Tennessee right now.

Sorry m8 could you please elaborate on what your construction people told you. After Andrew in 91 fl went to some of the strictest building codes in the country specifically in regards to wind ratings. Another homestead will NEVER happen again in Fl. I'm not sure if anywhere else in the country requires impact glass. Also not sure if anywhere else in the country requires or inspects truss to tie beam strapping. Also MOST infrastructure is ran underground to prevent massive long term power outages.

Anyhow in ft Myers waiting this bitch out with wife due Tuesday and a 14 month old. Good luck to anybody still here

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Sorry m8 could you please elaborate on what your construction people told you. After Andrew in 91 fl went to some of the strictest building codes in the country specifically in regards to wind ratings. Another homestead will NEVER happen again in Fl. I'm not sure if anywhere else in the country requires impact glass. Also not sure if anywhere else in the country requires or inspects truss to tie beam strapping. Also MOST infrastructure is ran underground to prevent massive long term power outages.

Anyhow in ft Myers waiting this bitch out with wife due Tuesday and a 14 month old. Good luck to anybody still here
congratulations fishy.:tiphat:. hope you took the la Maze classes..
you gonna be a bizzy fishy the rest of the week.. hi mom.

St. Phatty

https://www.tampabay.com/

Tampa Bay Times for on-the-ground type coverage.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/weath...g-room-man-accepts-wifes-challenge-to/2336892

And it wasn't even a classic Z.

Hurricane Irma Surf Reports
https://new.surfline.com/surf-news/...ng-surf-fl-lingering-fun-surf-northeast/10059

Cocoa Beach, Florida - Surf report
http://magicseaweed.com/Cocoa-Beach-Surf-Report/350/

Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
http://magicseaweed.com/Cape-Hatteras-Surf-Report/399/

Further from the storm, better waves.

Wave Height plot. 40 feet seas 10 miles from Miami - WHOA !

irma_090917_WP1-1560x1170.png

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
The eye has just passed over the keys and its still a category 4 right now.....Looks like its headed straight for Ft Meyers on the west coast of Florida...

Good luck to Badfishy1 and any other Floridians coming under this Hurricane.

Hope ya'll make it out un-scathed.

Badfishy1

The eye has just passed over the keys and its still a category 4 right now.....Looks like its headed straight for Ft Meyers on the west coast of Florida...

Good luck to Badfishy1 and any other Floridians coming under this Hurricane.

Hope ya'll make it out un-scathed.

Thanks m8... hope others get off easier than it appears I will living in ft Myers

Buckeyebandit

i'm on the west coast just north of you badfishy. sounds like 80-100 mph winds for me. might be out of power for a while but ready non the less. 2 generators and food in crock pots to re-heat once the storm hits. plenty of beverages to get me thru. best of luck to all down here riding it out

MagniKhan

Veteran
Good luck to all of my fellow Floridians.

Windows boarded, yard cleared, 22kw generator in garage (and the supplies needed to set it up) and a small generator to run while I set up the big one. Water and food stocked (dog food also) up.

Now it is just hurry up and wait time and hope for the best.

Already seeing a few squall lines here in the Tampabay area.
Be Safe,
MK

Latest posts

Latest posts