What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why bother keeping mother plants?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Now that it's legal in some states, does anyone here just buy clones for the next round from a nursery? Kind of like when I buy a tomatoe plant for my veggie garden. :biggrin:

M

moose eater

I'm sure there are some. The retail rec cannabis shops near me sell clones for ~$30/each. An adult can have up to 6 plants, with a 12-plant max per household, with only half of those legally permitted to be in bloom. (Despite the Ravin Decision's last intepretation by the legislature/courts years ago specifying nothing over 24 plants; we'd lose that, in my opinion, if we were to challenge the newer plant count limits, but that's a side-issue).

So if you're going to deck out a legal garden here with 12 plants for two or more adults total, you'd be looking at $360 for something you could do for yourself.

So yes, I have seen persons buy cuttings from the stores, but I don't know of too many. They must be out there, because the stores keep stocking and selling them.

Now that it's legal in some states, does anyone here just buy clones for the next round from a nursery? Kind of like when I buy a tomatoe plant for my veggie garden. :biggrin:

Last edited:

zilo

id rather pop seeds and keep it clean and know what im actually getting.. lot of shops arent really verified cuts and most of what is on the shelf isnt clean

mushroombrew

Veteran

I have acquired a huge collection of elite clones in the last 6 months

Here is what rode in with them:-

Red Spider Mites
Two Spotted Spider mites
Broad Mites
Russet Mites
The most aggressive PM I have ever seen. Thriving @ RH40%
Fungus Gnats
And my personal favorite Root Aphids yay!!

The only Clone vendor with clean clones on the West coast is Dark Heart Nursery.

I have never had a single pest issue.

Everybody else just sprays so they look clean when you get them. Just wait 3 wks and see what happens. Same dirty shit every time.

So fucking Lame.

So yeah go buy all the clones you want. And QUARANTINE them!
Preferably in a different area code from your grow!!

Jhhnn

Veteran
I have acquired a huge collection of elite clones in the last 6 months

Here is what rode in with them:-

Red Spider Mites
Two Spotted Spider mites
Broad Mites
Russet Mites
The most aggressive PM I have ever seen. Thriving @ RH40%
Fungus Gnats
And my personal favorite Root Aphids yay!!

The only Clone vendor with clean clones on the West coast is Dark Heart Nursery.

I have never had a single pest issue.

Everybody else just sprays so they look clean when you get them. Just wait 3 wks and see what happens. Same dirty shit every time.

So fucking Lame.

So yeah go buy all the clones you want. And QUARANTINE them!
Preferably in a different area code from your grow!!

Seeds are def safer. I get fungus gnats from outside but gnatrol whips their bug junkie asses with ease. I had thrips once, three years ago. That's it, the extent of my bug problems growing from seed.

I know a few growers personally at this point & the only one who hasn't had some evil infestation or another in the last few years takes in no clones, either. He does keep mothers, ones he started from seed.

I'm def not in it for the money so I don't have to deal with what's trending, ya know? I've grown some damned nice weed with mid priced seeds, too, easily the equal of dispensary weed people bring around.

I don't need no steenking marijuana farm super bugs...

coldcanna

Veteran
Having a nice quarantine area is a must for me. I grow in a separate building from my house and will keep new cuts or anything coming from outside in a bedroom for a few weeks and keep an eye on them. I dont spray them with anything on purpose just to see if anything is on them. Other thing is root aphids sometimes they wont show up until flower so even if you just take an unrooted cutting you are also doing yourself a favor

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Having a nice quarantine area is a must for me. I grow in a separate building from my house and will keep new cuts or anything coming from outside in a bedroom for a few weeks and keep an eye on them. I dont spray them with anything on purpose just to see if anything is on them. Other thing is root aphids sometimes they wont show up until flower so even if you just take an unrooted cutting you are also doing yourself a favor

Unfortunately, I found out recently just how important quarantining new in coming cuts is. Luckily I caught shit before it became a bad problem, but definitely learned that from here on out to keep new arrivals seperate for a few weeks

Gry

Keeping a cabinet full of safe clean mothers feels like peace of mind.
That may be a bit of an illusion, but it does make me feel better.

M

moose eater

2 cabinets measuring 18"W x 50"L x36" H, with two 4' double shop light hoods each, and 4200k LED for 4 bulbs each.

I've gotten gnats and thrips from garden amendments, but nothing else.

Time spent searching for keepers is valuable. Planting new, or something unfamiliar each time, takes a lot of repeat effort.

Keeping a cabinet full of safe clean mothers feels like peace of mind.
That may be a bit of an illusion, but it does make me feel better.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Quick logical question (not trying to stir shit up):

Comparing two specimens--mother (grown from seed) and a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone. If the environments are the same for both...then why would one degrade more than the other?

mushroombrew

Veteran
Quick logical question (not trying to stir shit up):

Comparing two specimens--mother (grown from seed) and a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone. If the environments are the same for both...then why would one degrade more than the other?

If you can keep them both stress free there will be no difference.

It is when the mother is stressed.

Or that clone you took stressed. And then you took another clone from that stressed one.

That's when drift occurs.

M

moose eater

But lacking a truly perfect environment (and I know of few truly 'perfect' environments) won't there always be some level of stress?

My understanding in the past was that genetic drift would occur in a clone-to-clone-to clone perpetual sort of arrangement, but much more slowly than if a female plant repeatedly, generation after generation, self-pollinates via male stress flowers (*which I've noticed some on the boards seem to equate to being a true hermaphrodite, which is counter to what I'd learned over the years; male stress flowers on a female bud being completely different than a true hermaphrodite).

I have a Sensi Seeds California Indica mom (a bit of a misnomer in its name, from what I understand) whose genetics have been in perpetuation, clone-to-clone, for ~20 years now.

She's become more sensitive at times to changes (deficiencies, efficiencies, disease, etc), but still, in proper circumstances, the best producer I've had so far, and when happy, quite potent and resinous.

And lord knows, she's seen some stress in that 20 years, lemme tell ya'. :biggrin:

In terms of disease or stress resistance, over-all, there's little doubt that those more recent varieties I have/have had, from seed, with far fewer miles under their 'belts,' have been more resistant to these issues.

Or that clone you took stressed. And then you took another clone from that stressed one.

mushroombrew

Veteran

I should have added it is impossible to keep either totally stress free indefinitely. Something environmental will happen in 20yrs right?!

The act of cloning/rooting in itself could be a stressor. And the hormones.

I grow so much from seed these days I have lost respect for most elites.

Pumping out clones/flower is so boring to me. That is the "work" part of this industry. The masses expect consistency which I find consistently boring.

The fun is seeing all the wonderful variations and infinite combinations. That shit is the "fun"

Perfect example Gelato #33. I got the Legit cut. Looks really pretty.
Smells nice. Tastes good.

Many better things to smoke in my show. You just don't know them by name...yet haha!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've grown "The" cut of ECSD, the cut preferred by the original breeders. It's *HOW* old and not a thing wrong with it? This is clone, from clone, from clone, from clone and so on. Almost triple odor control required, healthy she-beast, fantastic terpene and cannabinoid profile.

Truly spectacular specimen.

Yes, I'm sure inferior genetics will have issues at some point. :)

five2ohh

I've never kept mother plants because I never seem to have enough room for them. If I had the space I'd probably keep moms as a back up .

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...

Setting aside the "drift" discussion, if two plants are in the same environment (mom & clone) and if the environment is perilously attacked--then yes, both plants will become affected. Glad we agree on that.

Logically speaking, separating moms from the production plants would be the best practice--giving them a special separate room with it's own environment, preferably at a different location (to prevent cross contamination from "humans").

In other words, just having moms in the corner in the same room with production plants may do nothing but provide the gardener with a sense of "false security" that their plants are safe from "genetic drift". A broad mite on the hunt--does not know the difference between a "mom" or "child"; it just knows it's lunch time. But having a broad mites at location A (production) and not at location B (mom room) would be the preferred outcome of a bad situation.