What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watering in ROCKWOOL

So this is my first time using this media. It is called FWOK, which is made up of bulk rockwool and foam cubes (to hold oxygen). I just transplanted out of 1/2 gallon pots in to 3 gallon pots. Plants were drinking once a day. They would be significantly lighter the next morning.

I transplanted these 3 days ago, and they were getting light today so I fed them. At this point should I be watering once a day to keep fresh nutes and oxygen in their system, or let them get significantly more dry and then feed them?

I see a lot of people watering once a day or more from rooted clone.

Attachments

• FWOK GG4 week 5 3.jpg
    FWOK GG4 week 5 3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 21
  • FWOK GG4 week 5 2.jpg
    FWOK GG4 week 5 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 31
I have never used this specific system but I do use Rockwool cubes to fill my media space in my netpots.
I would be very consirned with this method of drying out too much. It seems like alot of labor to water every day. Should you miss 1 day and they dry out, they could die. (Note I have killed plants in DWC from going dry. They last about 6 hours after the water runs out.

I would put an inch of water in your trays, Let the rockwool suck up the water to feed the roots. But you will also need to consider the build up of alge.

Fatboyjay

I just posted in the new growers section and they told me not to let it dry out too much. Just sharing the advice I was just given.

I would cover them with foil as close to the stem as possible.
Keep as much light as you can from reaching the wool to reduce algae buildup.

Meison

Don't over water, never. It slows down the growth if the RW is soaked wet.
I feed everyday for 2mins in E&F, you can check my thread, you can see I work with 4inc RW, clones go from 1.5inc to 4inc cubes straigh to flower, or veg as a future mother.

If you let it dry out a lil bit (enough that you feel its moist but it looks dry to the eye) that's the point where you want to water again! If you let that it dry more it damages the roots. Never let it full dry, or soaking wet, in case they are left soaking wet just squeeze them really nice and smooth without damaging the air pockets in the cubes!

Works great for me so far, I've been using RW for 2 years now, DWC specialy, drip (in slabs and cubes), E&F and hand watering! No problems so far! Never had algae on top of my cubes, I usually cover them with "eva" rubber (that's how we call it in my country) its nice because it doesn't take any water, and its light proof! Really cheap, I buy a sheet 1mx2m long for 150$ pesos, that's around 6 bucks I believe

JointOperation

how big can a plant get in a 4 or 6 inch rockwool ? and still flower out nicely? i wana try to switch 1 light to rockwool.. but im stuck. i might just get those coco cubes

Meison

Well my botafumeiro clones went from 3inc to 14inc tall right after I put em in the flower tent, they are 20 days old and they are BIG! Next time im going to top them before switching rooms on them.

On the other hand the ones I'm vegging can yield nicely after main lining and some FIM/TOP is done! In 4inc cubes

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I've had plants finish up 5 foot in rockwool. Had a friend finish them up around 6 1/2 foot tall.

dreaded

I use Grodan granulate absorbant.... & flower in 1 gallon pots... water every oher day....4' -5' plant size.....
you don't want it to dry out...but mine holds water pretty good..

ICbuds

Veteran
You can grow 2x the plant in 1/2 the medium with rock wool. I've grown outdoor like plants with ebb and flo buckets in rock wool.
picture.php

Rondon

4 inch block on a uni slab blows hugos away. Top drip to waste. Its what Iam running under some lamps and its pretty damn fool proof. Flora flex caps are genius. Feed when trying tk establish roots early you want them blocks damn near dry but not quite..then feed again. Blows them up. Then once they are rocking..feed when 50 to 70% dry down till 10 % runoff. 1.0 to 1.8 EC feeds. Ph 5.5 to 5.8 Get er done

noknees

4 inch block on a uni slab blows hugos away. Top drip to waste. Its what Iam running under some lamps and its pretty damn fool proof. Flora flex caps are genius. Feed when trying tk establish roots early you want them blocks damn near dry but not quite..then feed again. Blows them up. Then once they are rocking..feed when 50 to 70% dry down till 10 % runoff. 1.0 to 1.8 EC feeds. Ph 5.5 to 5.8 Get er done

I dont care if this is over 3 yrs old or not...thats one helluva crop pic. Nice!!!

this.