What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plan to take clones from a Russet mite infested plant - will this work?

tilopa

My veg room has russet mites. I'm going to destroy most of the plants and reset the room.
However, there is one strain I grew from seed that I'm hopeful will yield great flowers that I just don't want to scrap. However, if I think there is even a 10% chance that the mites will remain by keeping the clones I would not do it. I just don't want to have to fight with these little monsters.

So, here is what I'm thinking might work. Take 3 plants and put them in another room that is clean. Before putting them in that room I will dunk them in a 5 gallon bucket filled with a solution of Forbid. Then 4 or 5 days later dunk them in a solution of Avid. Then 5 days later either spray them with Micronized (Wettable) sulfur or use Grandevo and Venerate xc. I'm not sure if the residual Avid would kill the microbials?

Then I would take cuttings, put them in my cloner which I will relocate to my room. After clones are fully rooted I will dunk them in Forbid and put them in the newly scrubbed veg room.

Would this have a high probability of completely eliminating the mites and prevent their return?

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Russets are pretty easy to eradicate in veg with just sulfur alone. You dont need all the expensive/toxic treatments like once thought. Just spray em down thoroughly every 3 days with sulfur solution until you see healthy new growth that you can take cuts off of and then dip those cuts in sulfur. Quarantine your treated cuts in a separate space and clean the heck out of your veg space.

After they root, use a scope to see if any mites are still present before introducing them back to your clean veg room. Continue spraying sulfur weekly for 2-3 weeks after that, as maintenance.

I grow outdoors so I like to treat all my plants with sulfur 1-2 weeks before flipping to flower.

Russets are pretty easy to eradicate in veg with just sulfur alone. You dont need all the expensive/toxic treatments like once thought. Just spray em down thoroughly every 3 days with sulfur solution until you see healthy new growth that you can take cuts off of and then dip those cuts in sulfur. Quarantine your treated cuts in a separate space and clean the heck out of your veg space.

After they root, use a scope to see if any mites are still present before introducing them back to your clean veg room. Continue spraying sulfur weekly for 2-3 weeks after that, as maintenance.

I grow outdoors so I like to treat all my plants with sulfur 1-2 weeks before flipping to flower.
you got a sulfur spray you can recommend me?

St. Phatty

I think you're almost better off, because you know what you're dealing with.

I think you have a good chance of getting to the point of a mite free rooted clone.

Not sure about dipping clones in Safer's soap when they are trying to root.

I find dip tanks of Safer's work way better than Safer spray. Which basically means buying the Safer concentrate, and mixing up a bunch in a 5 gallon bucket.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
If taking cuttings soak in water for a minute every 3 days. Do the same holding inverted in rockwool cubes and first planting containers or drench with mist getting bottom of leaves for 3 weeks to be safe.