What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydro drip to no waste?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Someone I met told they grow with 10 inch netpots, hydroton and 5 gal buckets. But instead of dwc or rdwc, he drips just enough to feed the roots. Said if there's feed in the bottom of the bucket, he backs off.

Anyone know what that is?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Sounds like a real low tech nft aeroponic hybride but the idea is cool.
First i thought that parts of the rootmass won't get enough liquid and die off when plants grow bigger since its kind of random where it flows but in the bucket the rh% should be fine enough for roots to stay alive.
Is it a constant drip or with breaks?
Nice thx.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I know somebody that did a drip system without waste for many years. I was very surprised when I learned this. I was frankly surprised that could work. Though it's what most house plants are treated like. I moved his game along no end but it wasn't disastrous anyway.

He did that pH moving thing. Up&Down over a week.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
I used to grow this way but there was always run off. Bucket in bucket with hydroton. Net pot to start, usually in 4" rockwool blocks. Feeding from recirculating reservoir. Inner buckets have the bottom drilled with many 5/8" holes. The bottom bucket has a 3/4" drain , centered 1 " from bottom of bucket. Starts are fed via 2 x1/8" tubing from mainlines off a manifold. Once the plant is well established 2 more feed tubes are activated, So 4 feed lines per plant total. Modified lids are used on the inner buckets to maintain high humidity inside the inner bucket.
rezervoir is maintained as per any other recirculating system but the return is much lower as the emitters are dripping, not flowing.

gmanwho

Veteran
delta9's ppk system is not dtw, i am unsure about the occasional rez changeouts thou

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Sounds like a real low tech nft aeroponic hybride but the idea is cool.
First i thought that parts of the rootmass won't get enough liquid and die off when plants grow bigger since its kind of random where it flows but in the bucket the rh% should be fine enough for roots to stay alive.
Is it a constant drip or with breaks?
Nice thx.

High Frequency/ low volume irrigation

Exactly. The drip is timed during the day. As the plant grows, the frequency is increased.

mowood3479

Veteran
I know somebody that did a drip system without waste for many years. I was very surprised when I learned this. I was frankly surprised that could work. Though it's what most house plants are treated like. I moved his game along no end but it wasn't disastrous anyway.

He did that pH moving thing. Up&Down over a week.

Djm did a cool thread were he showed a coco run he did with a drip system with no runoff..
I think if you google: ic mag djm
Or ic mag Don Juan matus (sp)