What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gelato 33 deficiency

spadedNfaded

Veteran
Hey all, I'm usually pretty good about these things but I need a bit of assistance here.

I've run this pheno of Gelato 33 a few times and I can't seem to place this deficiency that manifests itself. At first I thought it was a cal/mag thing, maybe micro nite deficiency or something like that.

Gelato 33
2 gal Hempy bucket 3:1 perlite: vermiculite
GH 3 part @ bottle directions 3/2/1 tsp per gallon -veg/micro/bloom respectively.
Temps in the 70s
LED SpiderFarmer 4ks @ around 18" away

They're only about a week into flower. When I saw this on my last run they were in promix BX using pureblend pro + calmag + photosynthesis plus + liquid karma.

When I ran it in soil I started noticing this at about 3-4 weeks. This time it's starting earlier and I want to try to nail it down now

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Any help would be appreciated!! Sorry for the pics, I can get better ones if need be. I'm also running GG4, stardawg and lemon tree that do not show these symptoms.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
When I saw this on my last run they were in promix BX using pureblend pro + calmag + photosynthesis plus + liquid karma.

I think:

1. They're overfed.
2. The curled leaves could indicate some pH issues.
3. Promix BX

Pro Mix BX is mainly peatmoss, so it should use a table spoon per gallon of magnesium lime. Absence of which could explain the calcium deficiency and pH issues.

I would say flush, repot and feed a late bloom food or high P/K nutrient at 0.4 EC and 0.1 EC Epsom Salt.

I would have to see more of the whole plant to say more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, it is much less work and less uncertainty if you use solid nutrients and light concentrations of liquid nutrients. For instance supersoil and home made fermented nutrients are very low maintenance and the plants just keep growing.

spadedNfaded

Veteran
Thank you for the response!

I'll try to get some more. Overall theyre pretty healthy. This is the only sign of stress out of 12 plants and it's just the gelato 33. I'm not using Promix right now.

These plants are in hempys using 3/2/1 GH flora series (3 part) for veg. PH is always average 5.8 before watering. Runoff is always less than 6.0

I always thought GH Flora (3pt) was generally mild?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just started running this cut, i think shes a bit nute sensitive. I have like 5 diff things in the same dwc w her and shes doing a light showing like yours.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Its from keeping the roots wet too long. The vermiculite can cause too much water retention and cause bronzing. Pro-mix BX will cause the same problem because it has vermiculite in it as well and will hold the water too long, most especially using it in a humid environments.
If the water concentration of the cells cytoplasm is lower then that of the medium surrounding the cell then osmosis will result in the cell gaining water. The water molecules are free to pass across the cell membrane in both directions, but more water molecules will enter the cell than will diffuse out with the result that water enters the cell, which will then swell up and burst causing bronzing.

spadedNfaded

Veteran
How am I to let a hydro system dry up? Isn't the point of hydro to be in water the whole time? I mean it sincerely. Wouldn't drying out hurt the stability of the system?

I put airstones in the bottom of the pots this time to keep things aerated.

When I had Gelato in promix they did go thru water faster than the other strains I was running. They would almost def be dry by day 2 after watering whereas the other would take another day or so. I ran them in 3 gal pots, half gallon watering every 2-ish days.

ElGato

Veteran
shit bro, from those last shots I think they look pretty dang healthy

I have a few cuts I just took out of the cloner that have a few spots similar to yours, so it probably is some slight deficiency, but I have not had this problem in flower. Hopefully yours will grow out of it.

love this cut, my current go to for something sweet

spadedNfaded

Veteran
She is really good. Even tho I didn't run her properly the first couple times. I'm really trying to nail them this time.

Pretty much all new setup. Switched to dro (hempys) w an airstone this time. GH 3 part instead of pureblend pro and my new LED fixtures instead of HPS.

Also got my GG4, lemon tree and stardawg going in the same thing. But I wanna nip this problem in the bud.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldnt trip at all. They look terrific. Keep doing what you are doing.

spadedNfaded

Veteran
Thanks! I just got nervous because this problem took off last time and really caused some issues with development. Hoping this hydro run nails it better. I've always had good results with hydro.

I just added a tower heater with a thermostat to the room. It's a small room so the environment is easy to maintain. Humidity is around 50%, room temps are kept at 75. Tent temps are between 75-78 depending on time of day.

Nutrients by the bottle, nutrients pH at 5.7-5.8 before adding and run off ~6.0

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I had a few leaves like that recently low on a plant and it was a result of transplanting into a little too hot of a soil mix. Just a couple older fans on the plant showed the same as your pic. Wasn't anything to worry about, they adjusted fine and it was just those two leaves. I wouldn't stress it. Nice plants!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
It looks very good, however some issues are arising. The curled leaves/pH issues are even more evident, and there is a deep green coloration of the leavest that points to lack of magnesium.

I think the best thing is to amend some new soil with a table spoon per gallon of magnesium lime (Maerl) (soak in water for a few days) and repot. As a liquid nutrient, 0.1 EC of epsom salt will help too.

The plant may also already be a bit rootbound. So repotting is the solution to that.

spadedNfaded

Veteran
These plants are not in soil. They are in hempy buckets 3:1 perlite:vermiculite. They've been moved from 2.5qt to 2 gallons less than 2 weeks ago.

They are not in soil. There is no Promix involved right now. Hempy is a hydro style growing method. The pH is supposed to be 5.6-5.8 at mixing.

ElGato

Veteran
These plants are not in soil. They are in hempy buckets 3:1 perlite:vermiculite. They've been moved from 2.5qt to 2 gallons less than 2 weeks ago.

They are not in soil. There is no Promix involved right now. Hempy is a hydro style growing method. The pH is supposed to be 5.6-5.8 at mixing.

i don't know man

maybe you should rip em all down and start from scratch

i keed, i keed:D

spadedNfaded

Veteran
Haha I'm not there yet!

I was just looking for some tips about this particular strain.

I do not need advice about soil grows as this is not a soil grow. There is no soil involved with these.

spadedNfaded

Veteran
I gotcha. Ya know, maybe that has some merit to it. After transplant for hempy you need to keep the res full because the roots haven't filled the container yet. Now that they're stretching and established they're drinking more each day and "drying" themselves out more.

I'll try to wait 2 days between feeds now. I'm switching to 2/2/2 for two weeks before I go 1/2/3 veg/micro/bloom. I plan on giving these a little hydroplex as well during intense flowering weeks.

Latest posts

Latest posts