What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We won!

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
<center> </center> <table style="width:100%;padding:2px;margin-bottom:10px;background-color:#0f1a18"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">
</td></tr> </tbody></table> December 04, 2020
art.spliff,

This is HUGE!

Moments ago, members of the House of Representatives voted to approve the Marijuana Opportunity, Reinvestment, and Expungement (MORE) Act, HR 3884, which removes marijuana from the federal Controlled Substances Act -- thereby eliminating the existing conflict between state and federal marijuana laws and providing states with the authority to establish their own cannabis laws free from undue federal interference.

This is an historic day for marijuana policy in the United States. This vote marks the first time in 50 years that a chamber of Congress has ever revisited the classification of cannabis as a federally controlled and prohibited substance, and it marks the first time in 24 years -- when California became the first state defy the federal government on the issue of marijuana prohibition -- that Congress has sought to close the widening chasm between state and federal marijuana policies.

And this important victory is due in no small part thanks to YOU.
Together, over the past few months, we have sent thousands of emails and made hundreds of calls to members of Congress. Today, those efforts paid off.

By going on the record with this vote, House members have set the stage for a much-needed legislative showdown in 2021 when we will have the Biden administration in office — one that has publicly expressed an appetite for advancing the restorative justice remedies outlined in the MORE Act. We are primed and ready for this legislative debate and we expect, ultimately, to win it.

So today we celebrate. Tomorrow, we get back to work. NORML won’t stop fighting until there isn’t a single person in this country put in handcuffs for possession of cannabis and until all 50 states in this country embrace the sensible and pragmatic policy of legalizing and regulating marijuana. But we can achieve these goals if we remain united in our efforts. Are you in?

Thanks for all you do.
Onward,
The NORML Team

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Unfortunately, it still has to pass the Senate and the word on the street is that, it ain't gonna happen.

Makes for awesome headlines, though. Nothing more than a pacifier.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Unfortunately, it still has to pass the Senate and the word on the street is that, it ain't gonna happen.

Makes for awesome headlines, though. Nothing more than a pacifier.

Not when you try to sneak it in with a Covid stimulus package! I wish cannabis was de-scheduled and legal across the planet, not used for political gains... Afghanistan!

TdotGonG

better spread some "special" brownies around sentate to make this pass. Fingers crossed for y'all, but a republican controlled senate allowing legal cannabis...seems like a pipe dream to me. Hopeful that y'all get it though.

Amynamous

I think there’s enough republican senators from legal cannabis states that would support it, or something close to it, if McConnell would allow a debate and vote.
States Rights is SUPPOSED to be a republican ideology. Let each state decide its own path.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I think there’s enough republican senators from legal cannabis states that would support it, or something close to it, if McConnell would allow a debate and vote.
States Rights is SUPPOSED to be a republican ideology. Let each state decide its own path.

states rights IS a GOP centerpiece until a state or DC wants to give their citizens a freedom that GOP dinosaurs do not like... IF McConnell allowed votes on shit he does not like, he would not be the current Senate head, subject to change. he provides political cover for Senators that tell constituents "well, i WOULD vote for that , but Senate leadership won't let us even talk about it..."

PopAndSonGrows

Senate is gonna goose-egg that shit, so don't get too excited.

This IS a step in the right direction, though. Maybe we'll have a united Govt body regarding this, in, say, 2090.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glimmer of hope- Native Americans in Georgia might just be the edge to topple Republican Senate run off elections and DEMS can pave the way to DE/RE-scheduling!! Happy dance!

YES!!!! Indeed, having this measure passed by the House....probably will have to be revisited again after inauguration.

rolandomota

Jan 5 we will know who wins in Georgia run off hopefully Democrat either way fuck their plant counts and legal amounts it's just cool to see it progress I do what I want anyway you should too I can guess how many plants I have I'm tooo lazy to count them 150? 200?

Coeus

Jan 5 we will know who wins in Georgia run off hopefully Democrat either way fuck their plant counts and legal amounts it's just cool to see it progress I do what I want anyway you should too I can guess how many plants I have I'm tooo lazy to count them 150? 200?
another lazy person nice to hear that:biggrin:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
The good news about the coming bad news (economic downturn starting in Jan) is that Mitch's state is Southern agricultural and his constituents (Dem and Rep) may be pressuring him on a State level to come around on the Federal level so they can farm weed.

Money talks, and you know the rest! :D

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Once the feds get control over pot, the corporate moolahs will flow.

Pot stock screaming higher on big volume: CGRW

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Yay lets all celebrate corporate weed takeover! Where's your enthusiasm guys? Lol :blowbubbles:

Sad to say but it's inevitable, I'm sure the Black Market will do just fine and unless they crack down on home grown via smart meters, so will we. ;)

BongFu

Once the feds get control over pot, the corporate moolahs will flow.

Pot stock screaming higher on big volume: CGRW

The game is already full of wannabe Philip Morris's. All it does is speed things a bit. If the US Fed goes legal BTW cannabis prices will plummet because off shore extracts etc will kill local producers on price. This is perhaps the first step towards full Fed legalization and an open market both domestically and internationally.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
..... This is perhaps the first step towards full Fed legalization and an open market both domestically and internationally.

That's how it has been in the past but now with Biden saying (pre-election:bigeye:) he wants to bring manufacturing back to the USA and the constant Republican drumbeat of 'Buy American', the 'international' part may not be so assured, especially as the price in USA comes down!

BongFu

That's how it has been in the past but now with Biden saying (pre-election:bigeye:) he wants to bring manufacturing back to the USA and the constant Republican drumbeat of 'Buy American', the 'international' part may not be so assured, especially as the price in USA comes down!

It would depend on how they legislated it but in the true nature of globalisation I expect it would be a relatively open market driven by commodity prices - the Democrats afterall tending to be ideologically true to neoliberalism and as such globalisation.

The problem with US prices is they are dictated by high production costs when compared with much lower offshore production costs which means US producers cannot compete on a price point basis with offshore producers. For example, field grown cannabis in Colombia or now Mexico (coming soon) used in extraction. I actually know of one Colombian company selling a kg of 90% THC extract for $1,500.00. Predictive modelling also tells us that made in the USA cannot compete against the price points of e.g. made in Mexico etc.

Either way only time will tell.