What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mars Hydro FC6500 vs Gavita 1700e

Cheedale

Hi so I just took delivery of a Mars Hydro FC6500. I must say on first impressions the build quality looks fantastic.

I’ve turned the light on and used the dimmer but I’m yet to put it in action. I am already using the Gavita led so it will be interesting to see how it compares. It is verry very close to the Gavita in design and even has a few features I prefer like being able to place the driver remotely and the folding design is very nice. The Gavita is difficult to transport and store.

I really hope this light is as good as it’s specs say it should be. ?

A question for Mars Hydro. I’ve noticed you have used two different lm301b as well as the Osram reds. On my Gavita all the Samsung leds look the same.

Why is there this difference between the lights? and what does this mean for the light spectrum and intensity / efficiency?

Many thanks.

Fixer

Good luck! I'm doing the same thing with a couple of different brands. Should be interesting.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Hi so I just took delivery of a Mars Hydro FC6500. I must say on first impressions the build quality looks fantastic.

I’ve turned the light on and used the dimmer but I’m yet to put it in action. I am already using the Gavita led so it will be interesting to see how it compares. It is verry very close to the Gavita in design and even has a few features I prefer like being able to place the driver remotely and the folding design is very nice. The Gavita is difficult to transport and store.

A question for Mars Hydro. I’ve noticed you have used two different lm301b as well as the Osram reds. On my Gavita all the Samsung leds look the same.

Why is there this difference between the lights? and what does this mean for the light spectrum and intensity / efficiency?

Many thanks.

Hi Cheedale, welcome to join in us here.
The samsung chips that we used for FC6500 are 3000K and 5000K. The reason that we use both is because we want to offer a more balanced spectrum so that growers could get better yield. :D

Could you pls share some pictures here?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Many thanks.

Those improved diodes should make this a much better light than Mars is known for. Maybe they finally highered someone who knows their stuff

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking at the YTVideo close up with the light on, it is very similar to the spectrums I chose back in 2014 (mixing cw, nw, ww), but I also incorporated ~ 5% 450nm and used 630s as 660s weren't very good back then, PLUS, 630 provides 95% of the red that our ladies desire to produce phatnuggz

Cheedale

Hey Mars that’s great. Thanks for getting back to me. ?? do you have the spectrum readings you could post up? I have a apogee par meter and will be testing the unit in the coming days? Another quick question. When you do your par output test is the light 12” from the grow tent floor or from the top of the light meter?

I think you should send the fc6500 to migro for a review on his channel. If these are the real deal they will be selling like hot cakes. I know I’ll be buying a lot more.

Many thanks.

I think you s

Cheedale

So the Gavita is made up of the pale yellow Samsung leds (cool white? 5000k) and the Mars Hydro is a mix of pale yellow and a more orange yellow (warm white? 3000k?)

To me this sounds like the Mars Hydro will have more in the red spectrum end and therefore be better for flowering.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
So the Gavita is made up of the pale yellow Samsung leds (cool white? 5000k) and the Mars Hydro is a mix of pale yellow and a more orange yellow (warm white? 3000k?)

To me this sounds like the Mars Hydro will have more in the red spectrum end and therefore be better for flowering.

It is correct. And we also add more 660nm chips to promote the flowering stage.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Hey Mars that’s great. Thanks for getting back to me. ?? do you have the spectrum readings you could post up? I have a apogee par meter and will be testing the unit in the coming days? Another quick question. When you do your par output test is the light 12” from the grow tent floor or from the top of the light meter?

I think you should send the fc6500 to migro for a review on his channel. If these are the real deal they will be selling like hot cakes. I know I’ll be buying a lot more.

Many thanks.

I think you s

For sure, here is the spectrum report for FC6500 @120V.

We will consider to send one light to MIGROW.

Attachments

• Spectrum.jpg
    Spectrum.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 55

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

The prospect of having to swap 600 bulbs weighs heavy sometimes. I think it's safe to say that people want to put up a light and use it for both grow and bloom. To that end, most people are going to want the warmer light. I have to think Gavita make the light in different colours for different users. Cool white is traditionally a veg light. There have been times where users have flowered with cool colours but long term these users tend to find a mix of warm and cool lamps is better. I have been there myself. In time I decided the blues offered an instantly better photo opportunity. The bud a little tighter looking. The weight down and the smoke not improved.

I'm full 3K + 660s and would go warmer.

If you really want some figures, the experiment has been done within the cfl/led comparison thread. Maybe more than once. It's good having a number of screw in lamps to swap colours at will. It gets things done.

If the Gavita are selling me 5K for flowering, I need to read that thread to.

Latest posts

Latest posts