What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Friend needs help with an outdoor plant

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hey ya'll a buddy sent me these photos and was really worried about how they look. They are a kush but not known more than that so maybe an 8-10 week flower time. It's been hitting 14 hours of sun since mid august, definitely been flowering for 3-4 weeks now. I personally think it's too yellow for where it is in flower, but I don't have any real outdoor grow experience so I was hoping people could chime in. :tiphat:
IMG_20180911_161520.jpg
IMG_20180911_161512.jpg

T

Teddybrae

That plant is DRY! It looks finished to me ... or ... with fan leaves like that I know I won't get much more growth out of it so I 'd pull it and call it a

satisfactory guerrilla grow.

Coulda been fertilised more during its life by the looks ... but basically good.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The ground is pretty wet, it's basically a field. I'd think it was a pH thing locking out nitrogen over just plain dryness, but I honestly don't know that's why I was asking. So thanks for all responses I will forward all info. :tiphat:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Alright he just updated me and said that it rained a fuck ton yesterday, and before the rain it looked green, but that is how it looks today, so I guess it's a lot more quick of a change than I understood from our first communication. I feel like that big of a change that fast is bad, more so than just topping some nutrients will fix.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Just guessing here but its been pretty wet this year and with all the rain recently maybe it has been a combination of leaching nutrients out ie. Under fertilized and PH issues in the soil due to it not drying out properly. Looking at the leaves I am really leaning PH. Personally I would watch it closely the next few days and worst case you yank it and chalk it up to a short speedy high. The longer it is in the ground the more mature it is getting, Good luck.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The way the reed things around the plant itself are also yellowing out, I was leaning towards them just using all the nitrogen in the soil, then with the heavy rain I guess leaching out whatever was left leaving them starving? I agree if it starts to look any worse they should harvest it early.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
The PH is waaaaay off dude. And its waaaay too wet and has root rot Im sure. Call it a success and harvest! theres no coming back from this. Even though its not even close to done. Next time have him use a camo grow bag and fill with FFOF mixed with alittle happy frog and chunky perlite.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
It looks like a bog from the reeds.. that's a wet spot to put a ganja plant.. its probably flowing with water only a few feet down..

She wants food and yeah the pH went well out of range by the look of it..

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
The people are right, the spot is too wet. Reed in itself is an indicator plant for permanently wet soil.

U

Ununionized

Since it's been sitting with it's feet wet so long it might have root rot. Just a few patches of root rot breaking out in wet, heavy soil like that seems to be, can kill the plant.

What happens, is the fungal material breaks down the root as it spreads, and shortly, there's an air void- a huge one - and the entire root section becomes occluded by this (these) huge air pockets.

Plants lifting nutritional water out of the ground relies on it's pulling it upward: siphoning it upward, via the means of the roots using a system of very, very narrow individual vascular tubes going all the way into - eventually, the leaves.

The leaves, when sunlight hits, start shucking water out of the pores on the leaves that leak this water and the water, going OUT,

creates a suction, which then causes the entire vascular system to work.

When the things get broken down from drowning, and start rotting away, it's kind of over for all vascular performance of that region because these suction forces are interrupted by the open gaping holes in the otherwise sealed, vascular system.

I'm not saying that's what it is for sure because I haven't treated root rot and thought about it for a long time, but - you see how the plant looks like it's been heavily, heavily poisoned by nitrogen?

But then none of the tips of the still-growing leaves, are burn't off, and for that matter, neither are the tips of the dying ones?

Yeah what thats' a sign of is the vascular system of the roots has had cell breakdown to the point there are beginning to be rotted-through roots, and the various contaminants the vascular system is being impacted by without filtration by the root hairs, - bacterial infection sets up in it too, a lot of times of course, and it's just a party of poison in your roots, and it makes the whole plant look badly burned, with terrrible pH issues.

If that's wrong somebody will come correct anything I said that is, but I'm pretty sure that plant's got the burned look of having it's roots suffer from outbreaks of rot.

I could be wrong, I hope I am. Good luck with your plant.

Last edited:
U

Ununionized

I looked at it again, because the idea flowed so fast that it was root rot I thought I might not be paying attention and better look some more, but that's what it kinda looks like, knowing where you're growing.

Do ya notice, that one of the main looks about the plant after I say it, is that - it's removing all the nitrogen and nutrients it can, from all the leaves, to try to keep transferring as much as it can, to those growing flower nodes, - the entire reason it ever lives in the first place, it's reproductive organ?

Yeah that's a sign to you the plant is able to transfer stuff around within certain parts of the vascular system, there's just no new nutrition coming up from the roots, hence the newest leaves, just being yellow as living f***. They're not getting any at all in interest of keeping the flowers alive as long as absolutely possible.

The plant's stripping all the nutrition it can from older fan leaves, and the ones it was trying to sproud as the roots stopped functioning, show various degrees of some deficiencies or apparent poisoning - or very strong pH attack - but many growing leaves arent' twisting, and the tips of none of them are showing that legendary tip burn that means they got too much nutrition and started pumping it up through the plant killing the tips of all the growing leaves.

Just one anonymous person on the internet's opinion, but that's kinda what it seems like to me, I'd be surprised to dig that plant up and find a large, reasonably white and healthy root system big enough to support that plant's vascular demand, for feeding the old transpiration process that makes lots and lots of big fat well fed flower and leaf material.

Last edited: