What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stem boring pest?

KONY

Veteran
I believe this is the side effect or eggs of some pest? But doesnt seem to be a common cannabis pest??

Sorry for the mediocre picture, but found it on a few different ChemD plants. The plants are not horribly unhappy or happy. Showing some variagation but nothing horrible.

I noticed when whipping off the "stuff", there is a giant hole left behind. The other clue with this symptom is that is only occurs at node junctions or areas of the stem I previously bent over and supercropped?

0E9YH6C.jpg

buzzmobile

Veteran
Cannabis Pests

Probably the worst pests are stem-boring caterpillars, especially in fiber crops. Two economically important pests are the European corn borer (Ostrinia nubilalis), and the hemp borer (Grapholita delineana).

Unfortunately from the picture your Cannabis looks bored. ;)

Dog Star

Veteran
Thrips know also to bore stems and then you could also sees like those on your stem..

KONY

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies. I tried getting more pictures yesterday, will upload them today, or take more and upload those...

I noticed after wiping off some of this stuff, a few hours later I went back into the room right before lights off and it had reformed, not as much as before, but there was some again. If the insect is inside boring away, the stuff it bores out has gotta go somewhere?

Got some BtK today.

Upon further inspection of the veg room, I found multiple white moths flying around. I had been leaving the garage door cracked pretty much the whole summer every night to let fresh air into the lung room of flower. Realize I need a screen going forward, least till winter.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Firefox says this is an insecure link.
Just get rid of the "S" after http, and the link works fine. There has been a bunch of links in the last year or so that are plagued with the same problem, most of the time their SSL certificate is simply out of date :)

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Carefully split the stem with a razor blade and find what is hiding in there.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just get rid of the "S" after http, and the link works fine. There has been a bunch of links in the last year or so that are plagued with the same problem, most of the time their SSL certificate is simply out of date :)

HAHA... I typically get a "can't load the page" warning. Never got an insecure link warning until now.

Thank You.

Hope you get it figured out KONY.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
HAHA... I typically get a "can't load the page" warning. Never got an insecure link warning until now.

Thank You.

Hope you get it figured out KONY.
As I good buddy. I just happen to know what the "fault" is on reputable sites.

UR welcome :)

KONY

Veteran
100% confirmed this is some sorta of moth larva. Found one of the little bastards tonight. It's not quite an inch long, probably 3/4rd. Has a black head but no individual black spot segments like the european corn borer.

HVYE5Ja.jpg

Last edited:

Andyo

Veteran
stem borer

stem borer

Told you it was a stem borer,
my outdoor plants wilted above the bored hole because it ate the pith I cut them off just below the hole and dripped pemethrin down in.
ended up with 80 bushes.

I had pith taking stem borers! A

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Spinosad is supposed to fuck up caterpillars of all types. I'm pretty sure it works on corn borers as well, but only in that larval stage.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spinosad is supposed to fuck up caterpillars of all types. I'm pretty sure it works on corn borers as well, but only in that larval stage.

I don't think that you'll get to the larva if they're already inside the stems.

Unless there is a product I am unaware of:
Surgery/Amputation is the only cure without some form of systemic pesticide.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?

Couldn't you just inject spinosad into the stem? They do stuff like that all the time with trees and corn and stuff.

KONY

Veteran

I had read somewhere that once they go in a stem they don't come out, however I have found multiple larva outside of the stem in veg now. In this case Spinosad or BtK should definitely treat them.

Did some more scouting too, originally thought this problem was strictly on the chemd's, however have found it on gg4 and cookies now also. I have not been taking care of veg nearly as well as I should have and now its starting to show. Every plant showing the symptoms isnt as happy as it could be. Nearly all of them needed transplant before they got it OR were allowed to dry out to the point of drooping multiple times in their life.

It seems easier to blame the help, but luckily all is not lost. I still have a few dozen healthy clones, and atleast 6, probably closer to 12 different great moms.
I think I am the first person I've ever heard of to get stem borers indoors though. As a result I will leave this thread up and all the info to help anyone else down the road.

Edit: I believe this is the adult form of that larva, but not 100%:
wHLMkSp.jpg

bjETlDs.jpg

Last edited:

KONY

Veteran
Good news. Less than 24 hours after spraying Bt-K at 15ml per gallon, the previous damage to the stem and 'sawdust' like granules that were coming out have stopped completely.

I don't know if the larva is dead yet, however they have definitely stopped feeding and are now starving to death.

To clarify: I sprayed down the whole plants top and bottom well as the instructions said, however I also sprayed directly into the holes and sawdust like stuff that was around them

Last edited: