What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slow Development of Trichomes

bathroomgrower

So, here's the deal. This is my fifth grow and I'm doing a sativa strain and I got the beans from Gorilla. I started two at the same time and one is coming along normally insofar as trichome development and one is showing no trichomes whatsoever and both have plenty of white hairs and the buds are coming along in size. I've read various reasons as to why this may be so, and the one that pops up the most is that the sativa strains take the longest to mature. Has anyone had any plants never development trichomes? I'm in the fifth week of 12/12. Both plants are definitely girls and not hermies. I did cut the light to 10 hours a day a week ago and still no evidence yet of trichomes. Maybe I'll cut it to 8 hours a day soon, as I've read that has sometimes been a trigger to get the trichomes going. Any thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance from the southeast USA.

St. Phatty

So, here's the deal. This is my fifth grow and I'm doing a sativa strain and I got the beans from Gorilla. I started two at the same time and one is coming along normally insofar as trichome development and one is showing no trichomes whatsoever and both have plenty of white hairs and the buds are coming along in size. I've read various reasons as to why this may be so, and the one that pops up the most is that the sativa strains take the longest to mature. Has anyone had any plants never development trichomes?

They might still be killer plants. Not sure what exact Sativa strain.

It sounds like they're under artificial light. Is the light bright enough to recreate sunlight ?

One way to test a plant is to pick some of the lower growing tips, and chop them up, and make cookies or some other edibles.

That can provide a great buzz.

I've had plants that developed fewer trichomes. Most of the time I find that more trich's = more potent.

But some Sativa strains are potent without being trich covered ... I am told & believe.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's genetics. You can't be doing anything but to grow something different. And please don't cut the light hours. That won't help you at all.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah dont cut the hours..

A picture might help us diagnose if there is anything other than genetics holding the trichs back but yeah that does sound genetic.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen plants NOT develop trichs...
Or rather very very few...
It took a mag glass to even find what was developed on this particular plant and when dried & cured... the plant was complete garbage. A waste of time & space but not a wasted effort as there is always something to learn from every single plant you care for.

Give that gal a couple more weeks & do what you like with the lights. Cutting the hours will only diminish the yield and make your electric bill a bit smaller too.

bathroomgrower

I've seen plants NOT develop trichs...
Or rather very very few...
It took a mag glass to even find what was developed on this particular plant and when dried & cured... the plant was complete garbage. A waste of time & space but not a wasted effort as there is always something to learn from every single plant you care for.

Give that gal a couple more weeks & do what you like with the lights. Cutting the hours will only diminish the yield and make your electric bill a bit smaller too.
Thank you for noting that you've never seen trichomes before. As I said, this is my fifth grow, so the soil PH, light per square foot, temperature, air circulation etc. are all within parameters. The beans came from the same batch/strain and the one producing trichomes is doing very well. It makes me wonder if a different bean was accidently placed in with the other ones. And you're right..... there's always something to learn from every grow, so no wasted effort..... thanx again.