What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs on buds

Hookahhead

This mean looking dude stopped by today.
picture.php

Last edited:

Vesnican

moths most likely, ones around here are night flyers

I have pics of eggs somewhere and will try to find them
BT or row covers help as well as hand picking

Look closely and you can tell a moth has been on your bud by looking at the color difference of the pistils, some will be slightly darker in color, matted down ever so slightly. Look under and on top for yellow/white eggs.

Kill them all when you do see them, take no prisoners
Good luck with them this year

This Is great finding Rico. I have noticed darker color of pistils and was aware of starting budrot. There was none and later on a budworm was there. Few seasons ago when I was facing their raid, I have noticed that after sunset many of them crawled out of the inner bud space and were easy to spot on the buds.

Man, I really love nature and hate to harm anything, but that was real pleasure to cut those bastards in to 2 pieces with my scissors :angrymod:

Hookahhead

Hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like a shield beetle, aka stink bug. They potentially feed on plants with piercing mouth parts and utilize a chemical defense. A few are predators of other insects.

Shield bugs have glands in their thoraces between the first and second pair of legs that produce a foul-smelling liquid, which is used defensively to deter potential predators and is sometimes released when the bugs are handled. The nymphs, similar to adults except smaller and without wings, also have stink glands.

The nymphs and adults have piercing mouthparts, which most use to suck sap from plants, although some eat other insects. When they group in large numbers, they can become significant pests.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentatomoidea

Favourite Bug and(one of my) favorite flower!

Favourite Bug and(one of my) favorite flower!

Romulan. Put out mid June at just under a foot tall (from seed started in Feb/March). Showed faint signs of powdery mildew (less then 5 leaves got slightly dusty this season. Nonetheless, Tough resilient vigerous.
I defoliated one fan leaf(mistake) next time I'll trim away the bottom sucker branches(they still look decent weight wise. Onset of flower slow but this past week (week 7ish) exponential changes over night for past few days..

Attachments

• DSC_0598.jpg
    DSC_0598.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 20

Hookahhead

Nice shot of the honey bee with full pollen baskets PDX! I frequently see bee’s around males, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one visit a female. Maybe tag that bud and see if it ends up seeded? Thanks for sharing.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I had a interesting year outside, Found lots of spiders. White spiders, I didn't bother killing them or moving them off plants.. And lots of flies, i think just normal house flies?

Also quite a bit of yellow jackets once buds started stacking, And always had the honeybees around...

Found one praying mantis creeping around on the ground, that was after chopping most the plants down

Latest posts

Latest posts