What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cow and chicken mix manure pellets

Cvh

Supermod
Hi all,

I grew synthetically in Coco for years and currently I'm finishing my first indoor organic grow with biobuzz nute line and additional batguano's, bacteria and funghi.
I learned a ton, to say the least. I studied the books, True Living Organics, Teaming with...series,...etc. I have a good working understanding of how living organic soil works.

A few days ago I bought a big bag of pellets made from mixed Cow and Chicken manure for the regular garden.
The bag doesn't list NPK values because according to the laws in Europe cow manure pellets isn't listed as a fertiliser but rather a soil improver. No need then for the manufacturer to guarantee NPK values.

I searched the forums and googled a lot and I can find only limited stories from people who have attempted to grow with it.

A friend of mine on the forum here actually has grown with it and gave me the following recipe:

2 cups (500ml) of Cow and Chicken manure pellets for 2 gallons (7l) of soil.
Topdress with a handful of bonemeal or a few tablespoons of bat guano starting flowering.

Anyone any experience growing with mixed pellets made from Cow and Chicken manure? Or with unmixed Cow manure or Chicken manure pellets?
Or anyone any info what the NPK values might be? I read all sort of things ranging from NPK: 0,5-0,5-0,5 upto a NPK of 4-3-3...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
Chicken has a lot of uerea. That means ammonia. I have used very old and composted cow manure. Only as a soil improver, a half base with peat for organic matter.

I'd be afraid of chicken manure. It's stronger due to the ammonia but about as strong as goat manure in npk. So about 3 or 4 nitrogen. That'd be %.

So half the nitrogen as high n guano.

Cvh

Supermod
Great replies guys. Thanks a lot.

Smug_Pepe, would you mind explaining to me why this is not so good for indoors? Wouldn't it work?

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe use it only outdoors because manures smell like shit when it gets wet? :biggrin:

I've only tried manures outside. :tiphat:

Cvh

Supermod
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. :)

I think it's well composted. The bag says it will not burn the plants.

Arnold.

My chicken manure says 4-3-3 + 9Ca0

Don't know what cow manure would do to the equation.

Chicken manure pellets are quiet nicely balanced. If those hybrid chickens wouldn't get a quality feed, they would get ill or don't grow as rapidly. Takes less than two months from egg to fried chicken.

T

Teddybrae

Hi ... I think you're approaching this the wrong way round. the fertiliser needs to be fitted to the task ... the aim ... the outcome. eg: what outcome do you want? then how do I get it ... ?

Easy7

Veteran
Chicken scratch is the most common fertilizer there is. It does stink, it's the bacteria. When it gets wet it stinks. Kinda like butthole.

It works it's just a bit harsh. Not enough phosphorus for flowering and too much nitrogen for buds. A little bit will green it up.

Just mix it with soil. Hate to try and make a tea out of it.

Honestly these are the best

Compost
Goat manure
Kelp
Guanos
Humic acids

I could grow fine dope all day with those. Even in native soil.

Cvh

Supermod
i grow inside in 100% cow manure
smells sweet as a summer day

Only in Cow manure? Pellets? Does that go good? No N deficiencies during veg? How much a gallon do you use?
I think it might work then with my bag with mixed cow and chicken pellets.

Also no topdressing with low N and high PK fertilizer starting flowering?

Would you also mind sharing a picture?

Thanks.

igrowone

Veteran
Only in Cow manure? Pellets? Does that go good? No N deficiencies during veg? How much a gallon do you use?
I think it might work then with my bag with mixed cow and chicken pellets.

Also no topdressing with low N and high PK fertilizer starting flowering?

Would you also mind sharing a picture?

Thanks.

indeed, only cow manure with a few amendments, bone meal and dolomite
the pellets you have, that's a mystery as to how they will work
and no N deficiencies during veg, but i veg only for 3 weeks, micro grower
i read up on some experiences here, some raved about the taste about the taste/smell you get just using cow manure
i won't contradict them, does nice in that department
not a real dense soil nutrient wise, it's good but if you want the real dense stuff extras probably needed
here's a pic of my last grow 5 weeks into flower, flavor is turning out real nice

Attachments

• flower5.jpg
    flower5.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 38

Cvh

Supermod
Allright! Thanks for sharing.
Your plant looks great btw.

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
one more thing about the composted manure
i pasteurize it, heat in a oven for a hour(or so) at about 200 f
it will contain fungus gnats as a rule

militia420

If things are composted properly and long enough there should be no bad smell guys.

I bought this "Niu Organic" hawaii chicken manure bag in Hawaii. I'm having a hard time finding recommendations on ratios for adding. One lady I spoke to at the store said they just spread it around their fruit trees and it keeps them happy but I want to know I'm not under or overdoing it.

This manure is supposed to be composted and not "hot". It does stink of urea or ammonia. Can you please give some guidance on potential nutrient ratios, and how many teaspoons/tablespoons/cups per gallon for a potted plant? I'm going to keep searching on here. I found one person saying 2 cups per gallon but that sounds like a lot and that there could be potential for burn.

Help?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I bought this "Niu Organic" hawaii chicken manure bag in Hawaii. I'm having a hard time finding recommendations on ratios for adding. One lady I spoke to at the store said they just spread it around their fruit trees and it keeps them happy but I want to know I'm not under or overdoing it.

This manure is supposed to be composted and not "hot". It does stink of urea or ammonia. Can you please give some guidance on potential nutrient ratios, and how many teaspoons/tablespoons/cups per gallon for a potted plant? I'm going to keep searching on here. I found one person saying 2 cups per gallon but that sounds like a lot and that there could be potential for burn.

Help?
That does sound hot. I have heard cups/cubic ft, not per gallon. Where I have seen tbs/gallon. A little does go a long way.