What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odour

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Originally I didn't have a carbon filter in my veg tent, as I thought the odour of growing cannabis mostly came from the buds. I didn't expect it from the plant itself.

I installed a carbon filter to the fan intake and although it has alleviated some of the odour, it hasn't eliminated it :(

Plants are in their 3rd week of veg. (5 weeks from seeds popping) Is this normal? I have been told that green crack is a stinker, even outdoors I gather that the "whole" neighbourhood will know what you are up to! My current grow:

• Gdp;
  • Dt;
  • Tw; and
  • Gc
So, because 4 different strains it is next to impossible to nail the real culprit or do veging plants emit odours as well, understanding that perhaps some are "stinkier" than others?

I ask the Q because I have found out not to use odour eliminating products in the outside space, if I don't have a dedicated intake (e.g I suck from the room, not outdoors), that the function is to "coat" stinky particles and because they are now heavier than air, will drop to the floor. However, having the intake in the same room, will cause the "odour eliminating products" to be sucked into the tents ambient air = not a good thing.

What say you? :)

Palindrome

King of Schwag
U need the carbon scrubber on the output vent, not the intake, unless I missunderstand something.

carbon filters have to be the right size for the fan, so you don't pull air thru it too fast.
So if your filter is placed on the exhaust pulling air out of your room/tent, and your still having odour problems in veg.

Your filter is either too small for the fan, the carbon is old and wasted or a leak.

That's my best guess, to why you haven't eliminated the odour.

insomniac_AU

U need the carbon scrubber on the output vent, not the intake, unless I missunderstand something.

carbon filters have to be the right size for the fan, so you don't pull air thru it too fast.
So if your filter is placed on the exhaust pulling air out of your room/tent, and your still having odour problems in veg.

Your filter is either too small for the fan, the carbon is old and wasted or a leak.

I agree with all of that :)
Always fit the scrubber before the extraction fan. It's pointless filtering incoming air. You want to take the smell away from the air going outside. I replace mine every 12 months just to be sure. It kills almost all of the odour.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

I agree with all of that :)
Always fit the scrubber before the extraction fan. It's pointless filtering incoming air. You want to take the smell away from the air going outside. I replace mine every 12 months just to be sure. It kills almost all of the odour.
Thanks guys That is why forums are so challenging! One Q, 2 different answers :(

The filter is brand new and its rating is well within the fans capacity.

One says on the suction side of the fan whilst the other on the discharge side of the fan. We can't have it both ways or, am I missing something.

I guess I might have asked is the odour permeating from/through the tent? Most setups I have seen have the carbon filter on the suction side. Hence, why I set my op that way.

Another stupid question. Are these filters by-directional e.g work both ways, or should the flow be from the outside towards the center (of the filter) e.g it is not designed to be used on the discharge side? I ask because of the pre-filter is on the outside?

i think he means intake side of his exhaust fan; pulling dirty air tru filter into fan out the fan exhaust into outside/room

the only fiter you use on the intake (tent air intake, not fan intake!) would be a dust/hepa filter

rub the stem to find the smelly cat

i have veggies in my veggie tent, to hide any non veggie vegging plants smell, like mints or basil

as youre said, the prefilter is on the outside, and thats the most efficient way of using them, blowing tru a filter is only okay for space issues

or turn down the fan, too much air = less filtering

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
i think he means intake side of his exhaust fan; pulling dirty air tru filter into fan out the fan exhaust into outside/room

the only fiter you use on the intake (tent air intake, not fan intake!) would be a dust/hepa filter

i have veggies in my veggie tent, to hide any non veggie vegging plants smell, like mints or basil

as youre said, the prefilter is on the outside, and thats the most efficient way of using them, blowing tru a filter is only okay for space issues

Thank you :tiphat:
Outside of the zipper and the bellows the tent is air tight, and yes the intake (passive intake) is equipped with a HEPA filter. I will do a scratch the trunk test tomorrow. I believe it is the Gc that is the culprit.

Since I am not having humidity problems< I may turn down the fan and see if that helps. Herbs are in season therefore mint might very well be an option.

insomniac_AU

Sorry I shouldn't have used the word "before".
Yes what I meant was your extraction fan will usually be hanging inside your flower room. The air being extracted should be drawn through the carbon can, through the extraction fan and out of the room via a duct. This is the way I do it and just about everyone I have seen. The fact that the air is being drawn from inside the tent/room means there will be a negative pressure. Assuming the air going out exceeds the air going in there won't be any odour leaks.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Sorry I shouldn't have used the word "before".
Yes what I meant was your extraction fan will usually be hanging inside your flower room. The air being extracted should be drawn through the carbon can, through the extraction fan and out of the room via a duct. This is the way I do it and just about everyone I have seen. The fact that the air is being drawn from inside the tent/room means there will be a negative pressure. Assuming the air going out exceeds the air going in there won't be any odour leaks.
Thank you sir for the clarification :)
The tent is under a neg pressure regardless of fan #s (190 CFM). Tent normal, turn the fan on = tent sucks in! Fan & filter capacity = 7 times 30 (25-30 exchanges/hour). I am doing 210 exchanges/hour

Easy7

Veteran
Always filter exhaust. Ideally filter then dump outside. Winter the heat is helpful, so exhasting into a room after filtering. A couple of layers of security are helpful.

If the tents are in a room, it's best to keep that room shut. Veg plants stink, buds reak. Drying bud can also be in a tent.

insomniac_AU

Always filter exhaust. Ideally filter then dump outside. Winter the heat is helpful, so exhasting into a room after filtering. A couple of layers of security are helpful.

If the tents are in a room, it's best to keep that room shut. Veg plants stink, buds reak. Drying bud can also be in a tent.

Yes everything I do is in one room. Veg chamber, flower chamber and drying racks. I don't have a separate filter for my veg chamber but air for it is drawn from inside the grow room and is exhausted inside the room. That is then drawn into the flower chamber, is filtered and then exhausted outside. My setup is very small so this works. At the end of the day what you want is any air leaving the room to first go through a carbon filter.

I draw my air from inside the house which gives stable temps year round. My exhaust goes into the roof cavity and up to the whirlybird.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Thank you sir :tiphat: That was Easy, no pun intended :)

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Everyone have told u the same thing, but you made my point. When you say you have a air exhange at 210 times pr hour.

Unless your filter is taking up ½ of your tent, it can't handle scrubbing that much air that fast.

Turn down your fan, so it pull the air slower thru the filter. This way the carbon filter can catch the odoure particles.

Imagine catching a baseball at normal speed, then imagin catching it 28x normal speed.
It will be very very hard.

Your carbon is your outfeald players, the odour particles are the baseballs. Your fan is your "batter robot" shooting the baseballs out in the feild. Turn down the fan speed, and your carbon will be able to catch all the odour particles.

Latest posts

Latest posts