What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
So its been 10 days and 50% of the cubes have roots and have been transplanted into cups.
I know if I upped the temps into the 75-80 range I would see roots as early as 7 days. But Im ok with 70-75 range for now. I have put in fresh cuts and cubes to replace the rooted and transplanted ones. Ive got 60+ phenos I need to backup, so I can put into flower!

Mengsk

In the interests of time and sharing with anyone who might be interested I wanted to get these up. Truly deserving a more formal tutorial with better description and photos, hopefully as long as it works ok I can follow up.

First basin has maybe 2-3 cc of bleach, 0.5 cc wetting agent, 45 cc 3% h2o2, and filtered water. The second and third are filtered water rinse basins. The heating mat has a thermostat set to 28 degrees C for a few days until roots appear then 20-25 C to prevent infection. Scissors are sterilized with 70% isopropyl alcohol between cuts and an underwater 45 degree cut is made with an xacto blade on each cutting before placing it into cloner. Just filtered water with 75 cc h2o2 in the cloner now but I'll likely add Maxsea 16-16-16 at 1/4 teaspoon/gallon or so. Credit is due to this website for the idea; proper reference and results pending :)

Attachments

• bubble_cloner1.jpg
    bubble_cloner1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 20
  • bubble_cloner2.jpg
    bubble_cloner2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 22
  • bubble_cloner3.jpg
    bubble_cloner3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 19
  • bubble_cloner4.jpg
    bubble_cloner4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 19

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the interests of time and sharing with anyone who might be interested I wanted to get these up. Truly deserving a more formal tutorial with better description and photos, hopefully as long as it works ok I can follow up.

First basin has maybe 2-3 cc of bleach, 0.5 cc wetting agent, 45 cc 3% h2o2, and filtered water. The second and third are filtered water rinse basins. The heating mat has a thermostat set to 28 degrees C for a few days until roots appear then 20-25 C to prevent infection. Scissors are sterilized with 70% isopropyl alcohol between cuts and an underwater 45 degree cut is made with an xacto blade on each cutting before placing it into cloner. Just filtered water with 75 cc h2o2 in the cloner now but I'll likely add Maxsea 16-16-16 at 1/4 teaspoon/gallon or so. Credit is due to this website for the idea; proper reference and results pending :)

What is the pH of the water?

Mengsk

Still waiting on a pH meter, if it is 5.5-6.5 after adding nutrients then no worries.

Last edited:

starke

Since this thread got bumped yesterday, I'm going to throw this out here.

The wick cloner I made based on a DIY here on IC is documented with pictures earlier in this thread. I have had tremendous success with it going on two years now. A couple of the grand-kids came to visit two weeks ago while I had the cloner apart and drying outside. It became a toy, actually several toys - especially the wicks. Long and short of it...no more wick cloner.

Unfortunately I was also needing to cut clones as backup stock for the strains I commonly run. Not wanting to go to the store to build another cloner, I took two of the wife's food storage containers (she really is a good sport) and filled them with rinsed (still damp but not dripping) perlite. I cut the clones as detailed earlier in this thread and put them in the perlite. Then I poured in enough ph 6.0 water to just leave a slight (maybe 1/8 inch) layer of water on the bottom of the container when looking up through the clear bottom.

Today is the 12th day since they were planted and this is the result. I think I have just simplified my cloning even further:

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That is some crazy ass impressive roots, and at only 12 days?! That's incredible! Do you know the room temperature and humidity offhand? And it looks like that's a heating mat, what do you keep that set to?

starke

That is some crazy ass impressive roots, and at only 12 days?! That's incredible! Do you know the room temperature and humidity offhand? And it looks like that's a heating mat, what do you keep that set to?

Room temperature ranges between 78 - 82 and the humidity is usually around 55% - 65%. The long black heat mat no longer works and is only there to fill over the cut out pattern in the plastic shelf underneath it. The two containers are sitting on an old Wally World heating pad connected to a thermostat. I keep it set to 79 with the temp probe pushed down into the perlite. Temp ranges between 77 and 81.

Going to conduct a further experiment with some Skywalker Kush and Big Bud x White Widow clones in a same type container only sitting on top of my homemade LED light bar. They will only receive the light reflected from the walls and whatever additional heat they may receive that is rising off the LEDs. No humidity dome. I'll throw some pics up when I get a chance.

starke

OK - let's try this:

Four Big Bud x White Widow fem clones and four Skywalker Kush clones cut, soaked in water with Superthrive for a couple of hours, then into the perlite container. Only thing I'm going to do is be sure just the slightest amount of visible liquid water stays visible on the bottom. Sitting on top of the homemade LED light as stated above. Going to wait two weeks and give them a gentle tug.

Mengsk

In the spirit of 'open book' I guess rather I should have an actual grow log/journal, I think the temp in the bubble cloner was too high, still dipped them in h2o2 again and set to 75 F.

Have to get some cuttings going and so the tried and true:
6NugT4G.jpg

Goats

Since this thread got bumped yesterday, I'm going to throw this out here.

The wick cloner I made based on a DIY here on IC is documented with pictures earlier in this thread. I have had tremendous success with it going on two years now. A couple of the grand-kids came to visit two weeks ago while I had the cloner apart and drying outside. It became a toy, actually several toys - especially the wicks. Long and short of it...no more wick cloner.

Unfortunately I was also needing to cut clones as backup stock for the strains I commonly run. Not wanting to go to the store to build another cloner, I took two of the wife's food storage containers (she really is a good sport) and filled them with rinsed (still damp but not dripping) perlite. I cut the clones as detailed earlier in this thread and put them in the perlite. Then I poured in enough ph 6.0 water to just leave a slight (maybe 1/8 inch) layer of water on the bottom of the container when looking up through the clear bottom.

Today is the 12th day since they were planted and this is the result. I think I have just simplified my cloning even further:

View Image

View Image

i remember seeing a thread about this cloning method a few years ago and always thought it looked neat. seems to work great for you :tiphat:

starke

Today is day 13 since the beginning of this experiment and so far it is a failure. No sign of roots and two of the Skywalker Kush clones have leaves starting to fade from too much light. I don't think the medium temp is staying high enough, especially after the lights go out at night. Going to re-soak in Super Thrive and put them in the same trays on the heat mat and under the cover. Maybe the results there will be as before. We shall see in another two weeks.

picture.php

MrBungle

Why so many leaves on the cuttings? I like to leave just the top and maybe the top full set...

I think the cuttings are living off the reserves in those extra sets of leaves, not needing to root...

Maybe the heat mat will help, but I'd try and hold off on covering them up... If they got this far looking that healthy without a dome, they don't need that extra humidity to root. It is only helpful the first few days while the cuttings are acclimating in really adverse conditions, other than that they should be fine without a dome...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
In my humble opinion, too many people over-complicate cloning. It's supposed to be very easy for like 95% of all cannabis plants, and the other 5% are the ones that need a little help, maybe some hormones, maybe an aero-cloner, things like that.

After all the years I've been growing, having tried every possible way, experiments galore, every type of media... nothing is as effective and care-free as this thing:

cDiI83C.jpg

They are sold everywhere imaginable, from Home Depot to Walmart to Dollar General to whatever the equivalents are in your country. They come with those expandable puck things which suck, so throw them immediately into your compost heap. Then go buy a bag of these:

depV6fb.jpg

Only take cuttings from smaller, pliable growth tips, rather than harder branches. No rooting hormones are necessary. Setup the jiffy greenhouse thingy and fill it with untreated tap water, don't even bother with pH or anything. Not necessary. Put it under dim lighting, preferably fluorescent. Open it up once a day and fan it out with your hand or something. If the room where the clones are is comfortable to you, then it's too cool for the clones. If you are *just* slightly a bit too warm, your clones are probably happy. Do you see lots of condensation on the dome? Maybe even forming big drops that are condensing and dripping off the ceiling of the dome and down the walls? Yep, it's a good environment. Do you only see a fine mist in there? Like a fog, but no real globbing of water drops anywhere? It's probably a bit too cool still, and it will take longer this way, so warm it up, or put a heating pad under the mini greenhouse.

Always take more cuttings than you need. If you can swing it, try to take double the desired number. 50% success rates in cloning are practically guaranteed using this method, and 75% or greater rates are easily attainable.

Less is more when it comes to cloning.

cone

AP

Here's what I was talking about, The first & only time these have been opened since they were taken.
For lighting it's an HLG135 dimmed 60 inches above the plants.
Taken from a plant that was just over 10 day's flower, Surprised me tbh bud.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php