What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smurfs turf; When life gives you lemons....

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I cannot wait to get this run over with. Mainly for odor reasons, even though im running 3 carbon filters/scrubbers. This is a VERY pungent variety. If i have to work on the plants, or even if i just bump up against them, i cant go out into public the rest of the day. Change of clothes, and shower helps, but theres still plenty of residual reek! I may just as well walk around town carrying a flowering plant because thats how intense the odor is.

Trimming this variety is tough! Not so much labor wise, but on your senses. Some of my best trimmers can only work for short periods at a time before taking a break. It gives them allergies, and one guy breaks out in mild hives. It doesnt bother me that way, but it messes up my sense of smell and taste for a long while afterwards. The smell is great at first, but then after about an hour or two of trimming, it just smells like acetone or some type of solvent. Really messes up my smell bad, and burns my eyes.

The aroma is first a pungent lemon smell, with a skunky backround. If it was grown well, it will then also provide a sweet sugar candy smell, as well as little bit of citrus (orangy).
Over time in curing, the undertones will fade out and you are left with more of the lemony skunky aroma. Less lemon, more skunk at that point. The terp limonene is pretty volatile from what i understand, so that could explain it.

Almost there on the first room. Thanks to everyone for tuning in!

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Back again and all is well.
These buds sure did turn out bigger than I thought. Most of the upper leaves are colored out, and the bottoms are lime green. The bottoms never really turn yellow. If theres no light hitting them, then they dont color so much. Thanks for stopping in everyone, and dont forget we still have room 2 rocking out for another few weeks.

Here we are at 75 days. These may or may not be the last known pics of the contents of room #1.

Room 2, Day 51

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
wow, complete hogs.

I can't wait to see what you pull off of these six sixers. That is one hell of a canopy for only 3600w. And then you doubled it with the 2nd area. You're really putting that little basement to work. Seems super efficient. I'm surprised you are seeing the power bills you are. Just got my latest. Almost $1100, but that's for 12k + split + dehumidifier in an all electric home w/ wood heat.

So ya chopping any day now huh? Would love to see the logistics of taking that down - take pics! Do you hunker down there in the poly'd space and go to town? Hang/dry in the same room I'm imaging or do you take it elsewhere in the house? How do you keep the RH up in these dry winter temps?

I don't know if I've got it in me anymore to harvest out of close quartered residences. Rural is so much easier on the mind. I imagine there is no way to avoid the reek when you start hacking away.

Great job dude. My lemons are much more spear shaped. I love how you managed those bulbess tops...more so on the 2nd crop.

It's obvious you can damn near do this with your eyes closed. Would love to see what you can do in a sealed/co2/ac situation. Put those skills to use. You need a lab dude.. haha.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
Looks like some tasty lemon aid!
I'm drooling
Hope your harvest party is rockin :party:

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
wow, complete hogs.

I can't wait to see what you pull off of these six sixers. That is one hell of a canopy for only 3600w. And then you doubled it with the 2nd area. You're really putting that little basement to work. Seems super efficient. I'm surprised you are seeing the power bills you are. Just got my latest. Almost $1100, but that's for 12k + split + dehumidifier in an all electric home w/ wood heat.

Over 800 bux for 7200 watts. They estimated it last time, so thats why its so much now. The first month bill was only 225. I bet next month is right in the middle of the two, unless they estimate again!! oh crap!

So ya chopping any day now huh? Would love to see the logistics of taking that down - take pics! Do you hunker down there in the poly'd space and go to town? Hang/dry in the same room I'm imaging or do you take it elsewhere in the house? How do you keep the RH up in these dry winter temps?

I just make my way down the middle and chop the tops off flush at the trellis. Theres no leaf matter underneath it. Works great.

Ill probably dry it in the same room with a dehuey and humidifier if needed.

The way i combat low humidity in the winter is to simply fill as much of the room with plants as possible. Do away with walkways and such. That much vegetation packed in a small space puts out a lot of moisture. It stays about 40-50% during lights on with full air exchange every 1-2 minutes, and 45-55% at lights off with 2 dehueys running. I wish i could get it lower! An average room will dedicate up to 1/3 of the space for walkways, reservoirs ect... I say replace it with plants and get more yield and humidity in the winter. If your good, you dont need walkways.

I don't know if I've got it in me anymore to harvest out of close quartered residences. Rural is so much easier on the mind. I imagine there is no way to avoid the reek when you start hacking away.

Yep theres no way with this strain. I just have to risk it. I trim late night. Ill run 3 scrubbers in the trim room, and then 2 ozone generators upstairs, as well as candles, incense, and glade plug ins.
I use the refillable interval fragrance sprayers that spray about every 10 minutes. They go in between the main doors and the screen doors..even when im not trimming. I suggest everyone do this, it has save my ass several times.

Great job dude. My lemons are much more spear shaped. I love how you managed those bulbess tops...more so on the 2nd crop.

Sometimes they stay spear shaped, but after 5 or 6 weeks they usually round out on the tops. Look at my room 2 in the very first weeks, and then look at it now.

It's obvious you can damn near do this with your eyes closed. Would love to see what you can do in a sealed/co2/ac situation. Put those skills to use. You need a lab dude.. haha.

One day brother; one day....

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Hey Im back. I am tired, fingers are sore. Room 1 is down! Judging by the time it took us to manicure, there should be quite a bit more than I figured there would be. Those last 2-3 weeks really packed some weight on.

The quality is some of the best i have ever achieved with this variety.
The only two different things i incorporated into the program was molasses, and boost. It seemed like the boost helped with the quality, and the blackstrap improved the girth. Thats just from my initial observations though.

Heres a few shots before, and during take down.

Dont forget, there is still another show going on in room 2. Stay tuned!

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Quick update on room 2.

I ran out of hygrozyme, and started experimenting with biocozyme. Wrong move!
It started to affect quality big time. Buds want to get airy, pistils growing everywhere, and very long too. Less aroma. Ive been flushing it out. I hope it gets out of the system quickly. Theres definitely some type of pgr or plant hormone in there. Thanks for the f'ing warning Grow More! The yield will be there still, but im just worried about the quality at this point. F*ck me!

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Killer chop smurf. Looks great....

Doesn't look like the funnest strain to trim, but it looks like you got it handled lickity split. They look pretty damn dense being Lemons and all. I hope mine turn out similar... right now they certainly don't look like something I'd normally be thrilled to see at this point in flower. I'll update my thread here in a bit. They are smelling absolutely amazing though.

Know nothing about the biocozyme. Sorry.
A 100% organic biostimulant derived from natural occurring cytokinins, hormones, enzymes, vitamins, amino acids and micronutrients.
Whats up next? You going to try to run another big one before spring and warm weather?
Maybe some Deathstar? :)

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Thanks Chefy.

@Farmer- You should be fine with the lemons. You will be amazed at what the last 3-4 weeks brings.

Its pretty dense for the lemon. I think ill be able to fit a qp into a freezer bag this time;)

I have the dstar on deck with some others as well. Im thinking of doing a bunch of side by sides to hopefully improve my game. Always searching for ways to better myself. I have about 150 different trials written down and the list keeps getting bigger every day. I have figured out a very efficient way to run handfuls of tests at the same time on different varieties without too much extra labor involved. I really dont want to be dosing 20 different reservoirs;)

In Room 2 each row is a different experiment. Boost foliars, fasilitor foliars, harpin protein foliars, and nitrozime foliars at low and high doses. All versus a control group.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Quick question regarding your clone fridge "purgatory".

Is this fridge turned off and you're just using it as a rooting area?
Or is it cooling and you are actually putting the clones in a sort of stasis? Before rooting? After roots?

Looks pretty cool! That's your only fridge huh? Fridge's full - sorry food.

Let us know how your experiments play out. It's so good to here from folks who really know a product is doing something worthwhile or not. As you may realized by now.. I stay away from additives and keep it really simple with Jacks/CalNit. I'll be rocking some SM-90 on top of my jacks soon, but have stayed away from most because it's hard to tell what's worth a damn and what's industry new/hype. That said I'd like to experiment with Ful-Power and did pick up a quart of Nitrozime to play around foliaring it. I've got this atomizer and want to utilize it more. What do you recommend for a good foliar that can be applied weekly? Going to start on Neem in veg for mite prevention, but any other suggestions?

You only did the nitrozime on room 2, 1 application correct? A few days after the flip?
Have you tried this on other strains, or just the Lemons?