What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nimbin in the offseason

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I'm planning on traveling to New Zealand in late 2012/early 2013. After that I'd like to check out Nimbin as I've heard it's all the rage, but I'll be there during a time outside of the festival. I'm coming from the US, so I'll need to do the travel logistics, of transportation, place to sleep, etc.

What do you think? Worth it? Skip it?

Last edited:
W

wilbur

depends what you like. I don't stay in town long when I visit friends near there.

the townies always want to sell me dope ... when I say nope they look at me all suspicious and say "... where ya from then?" as if I must be a narc.

I think the real Nimbin happens away from town ... probably by invitation only.

gr0wm3

nimbin is not like it once was 25 or 30 years ago .... There was once a cannabis cafe scene in nimbin, not anymore though ..... and the street merchants work in pacts ..... in groups and attempt to rip off the unsuspecting ... time and time again, better scoring elsewhere nowadays unfortunately... it consists predominantly of those that have drug habits and the oldschool hippie stoners of the past seem to have disintegrated from the area.....

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
nimbin is not like it once was 25 or 30 years ago .... There was once a cannabis cafe scene in nimbin, not anymore though ..... and the street merchants work in pacts ..... in groups and attempt to rip off the unsuspecting ... time and time again, better scoring elsewhere nowadays unfortunately... it consists predominantly of those that have drug habits and the oldschool hippie stoners of the past seem to have disintegrated from the area.....

Ah, interesting. Yeah not my scene. Skip's writeup was interesting (and well done, best I've seen), and if I were planning to go during MardiGrass with friends/etc I'd definitely do it, but offseason alone just seems expensive/unnecessary based on your description. A few others have echoed your sentiments on other boards.

I guess I'll have to go to Nepal. Shucks! :D :D

gr0wm3

Ah, interesting. Yeah not my scene. Skip's writeup was interesting (and well done, best I've seen), and if I were planning to go during MardiGrass with friends/etc I'd definitely do it, but offseason alone just seems expensive/unnecessary based on your description. A few others have echoed your sentiments on other boards.

I dont have too much guff for nimbin but regardless, trust your instincts ..... its best to avoid nimbin if you want to score decent erb' theres acceptable erb' all over oz and not difficult to find any ... i speak from experience with nimbin ....

peace n pot,:gday:

Skip

Veteran

Hey, not sure if you're American citizen or Brit, but India is a great place to visit these days, with long-term visas available! You can stay up to 10 years if you're a yank! And of course Nepal is just over the border...

Say hi to the Dalai Lama for me, if you visit Dharmasala!

purplepig3

I went on a day trip from Byron bay to Nimbin picked up a some really good sativa
and had a brilliant xmas in Byron bay its a wonderful part of Australia to visit
if you get the chance .

yeah well, I went to Nimbin about 10 years ago, and I found it a bit sad, just a lot of drug fucked people around, and I think most of them weren't on pot.
I enjoyed the hemp embasy, but i heard about 3 days before I got there speed freaks had run amok and smashed up the rainbow cafe and several other places.
Picked up a hitchhiker on the way there and he was from Brisbane and was just going there to stock up on speed.
The funny thing I found about Nimbin was that in the the daytime there are heaps of people around but when the sun sets the place is deserted, there is no nightlife there, I was wondering where all the people go.

Kangativa

Veteran
There is a lot more to this North Eastern corner of NSW other than Nimbin.
If it was me I would do your trip there and go in there expecting the worse and you might be pleasantly surprised, anyway you can make up your own mind, but this area is full of outdoor festivals, great beaches and lots of live music happening somewhere at sometime.
There are halls scattered all through these hills that have stuff going on all the time and you wont have any trouble getting what ever you like.
There is also the country side and always there is a beautiful spot somewhere around the corner.
Its the lifestyle that makes this area special and if you walk in with a open mind and not like a man on a mission I am sure good things will happen for you.
Good luck with your choice:gday:

dundee

gr0wm3 and Kangativa pretty much summed it up, there are lots of other great places and festivals along the east coast worth the trip, but if you are close check it out for a day and experience it for yourself. It is hard not to get ripped off there but I guess its part of the experience.

Hope you enjoy your trip!!

slshemup

Ole Sinbin is worth a look just don't get conned into handing over your cash for what you cant see.as stated by others the NSW North East coast is a great place to travel to it's such a diverse area with so many different things to see and do.Nimbin was a great place 20 to 30 years ago a bit ho hum now.

TheBudFather

I hated Nimbin... the locals were mainly pure trash... I seen some of he dirtiest nastiest sights ever in Nimbin, with young kids about... it was disgusting... The best thing in Nimbin was Rolf Harris's painting on the wall... leg end :O)
Get your Budz & get out...
We travelled all over Oz, going back & forth to Nimbin ever cpl weeks to top up...
We always stopped off at the famous rocks for a good dip... & we loved going back to Murwillumbah for a few drinks in our crazy ass bar... Tuesdays: topless waitresses all day long & bonkers drunk driving locals... good times.
You can get a bus once a day to Nimbin from Murwillumbah, make sure you don't miss it, otherwise you will end up in the same crazy bar we ended up in.... we nicknamed it 'Dusk till dawn'... had many a fukkd up day/night there...
Otherwise, get your weed & head to Byron... try to stay at The Happy House if it's still open, 'an illegal hippy retreat' you can smoke all day long, indoors & out, & get pretty much any high you want from the owner! & smoke up on the beach all day long... perfect.

I went there about 10 years ago; I found it pretty sad. Lots of drug fucked people just sitting around. Lots of powders being sold on the street.
A few days before I got there the powder sellers ran amok and smashed up the iconic Rainbow Cafe and a few other nearby businesses, so I never got to go the the famous rainbow cafe. I didn't need to buy because I came well prepared, but I would say some of the businesses there sell and would give a better deal than the street sellers.
I don't remember ever seing anyone there smile or look happy, except maybe the guy in the hemp embassy; I think his name might be Joe Cannabis.

leafman

nimbin is pretty average imo. not like it once was by a far stretch and with cameras on all the roads in and out. just doesn't feel like a nice place these days...

waveguide

Veteran
haven't been there, but the campground (and a hotel?) are ascribed to freemasonry, which is pretty much like "this party place run by child molesters".

spend there around a week 2 yrs ago in a yha hostel i think. it was around 20mins by walk outside of town. was a nice place to chill out in the jungle and a good place to relax after fcking crowded eastcoast with all that stupid backpack fuckers.
nice to go there if u are already around but not worth a long journey.

had some cookies and a smoke and was almost freakin out in the jungle. went to bed at around 9pm because it was too much lol

Latest posts

Latest posts