What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

county limiting commercial/medical cultivations

eatingglue

Hey icmag forum, I live in SLO County, CA (San Luis Obispo). I go to almost all of my counties meetings pertaining to the counties cannabis draft regulation so I believe I'm fairly current with whats going on. I try to keep up on state and gov. to. Most of the stuff that I don't understand I'm able to look up and find out if its good, bad or neutral. Except some of the board members want to limit the amount of commercial/med cultivation sites. They came up with this idea after they heard Monterey County (the neighboring county to the north) was considering it. Monterey County has since dropped the cultivation limit. My question is is this legal for them to do? There has been random people during public comment get up and say it's not legal for them to do until yesterdays meeting an attorney spoke during public comment and told them it was not legal. I've searched online and can't find any information on this. I'm hoping one or several of you may know.

eatingglue

Oh yes, I'm not really new to this forum, I did create a login last month but have been creeping around on here for years. I never needed to ask a question because it was usually already answered several times. I just had to search. Thanks in advance for any info you have on my counties situation!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ask that lawyer that told them they would be in violation of the law.

He'll be the one w the where with all to shut that piece of local legislation down.

eatingglue

Thanks MJPassion, good idea. I don't recall the guys name. I went to the county site and they have not posted the video yet and nobody I know who was there recalls who he was either.

St. Phatty

I thought this was covered in the Declaration of Independence.

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness".

That includes making a living and growing medically useful plants.

I see counties using Agricultural laws & zoning to try & control rural grows. County commisioners make rules, e.g. regarding setbacks (distance from edge of land parcel.) If the setback is 100 feet, that screws people on city lots, which are often 50 feet wide.

It's very Giving of you to go to all those meetings. 2 Thumbs up !

SLO county may very well try to hide the real law. They can allow unlimited plants, but if setbacks are 300 feet (which I have read in records of some county meetings), that screws a lot of growers on smaller lots.

Basically favoring big business.

EQUAL TREATMENT UNDER THE LAW. <== I wonder about mentioning that. If they are creating zoning rules that favor land-owners with 50+ acres, that certainly doesn't help the 'little guy'.