What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AC power vs hps heat

IngFarmer

I am setting up a sealed room and I'm really not sure if a domestic ac can handle all the heat produced by multiple hps...
so the question is, can a domestic multisplit ac of freezing power 9000BTU or 12000BTU keep cool a room to a temp of about 27-28 degree celsius containing about 8 to 9 of 600 watt hps bulbs?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if you have the lights linked with thru-flow ducting venting that hot air outside, it should not be a problem, i don't think. if you have open bulb set-ups w/no venting. i'm not so positive. someone with more definitive knowledge is bound to show up...

IngFarmer

Unfortunately there will be no venting of anytype for now, the idea is to use the hps for a grow or two and quickly start switching to led panels...
Or I can cool tube all the hps bulbs and vent some heat outside whilst the ac cools the room, but soon led panels will come in soo there will be no venting, so I need to know the power needed to cool such a room assuming there are 9 hps 600 watt bulbs with no venting of anytime...

GonjaLove

I run 4K hps with a 15k btu ac and most of the year it does the job. Middle of summer not so much my temps will go to around 85 in summer. I can't see a 9k or even a 12k keeping your room cool.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ehh you would need a proper heat load calculation few can do.

Undersize and you dry out the room, oversize and you're short cycling the AC. I would plan to handle 30kbtu. A burner (if used) and DH produce significant load.

brown_thumb

I prefer redundancies so I'd probably opt for two smaller units with one set 3-4 degrees (F) warmer than the other. If one unit can't cool the room then the other will kick in. If one unit fails then you still have another to continue cooling while the other is repaired or replaced. Two 9K BTU would be the minimum I'd opt for in my area and with your lighting... 105F and sunny here, during summertime. I'd probably opt for two 12K BTU just to be safe. Not only will having a second unit provide cooling if the other fails but it's more efficient in cooler months because only one smaller unit will be running.

Latest posts

Latest posts