What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MyDx personal analyser

audiohi

Veteran
I got the new one, it's nice. Seems to work better than the beta version. I wish I could tell you how accurate it is...

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one came in the mail today.... time to start reading about it and get to some home testing...

oldchuck

Veteran
I just received my unit and the results have been outstanding so far! I am very impressed with how this technology is moving along and look forward to seeing the analyzer get closer and closer to GC accuracy.

I came across this on their website as well:

https://www.cdxlife.com/accuracy-specs/

Well, I like those accuracy numbers. I guess I'll give the new one a try out. It has just been sitting on my desk for a few days. I was wary when it showed up, spent a lot of time with the first one with very disappointing results.

SpaceBros.

Well, I like those accuracy numbers. I guess I'll give the new one a try out. It has just been sitting on my desk for a few days. I was wary when it showed up, spent a lot of time with the first one with very disappointing results.

Please let me know how you go with the new sensor. I'm probably going to pick one of these over the next day or two ;)

Rickys bong

Veteran
Their "Accuracy Specification" is quite entertaining...

How can they specify a percentage of any of the components this devices supposedly analyzes without knowing how much mass has been placed in the sample insert?

"Approximately 40-50 mg of flower sample was ground against the rim of a MyDx Sample Insert and filled to the Brim" SERIOUSLY? that qualifies as analytical sample preparation?

"approximately 40-50mg" gives a 25% error window to start with, and to have any hope of actually reading a percentage the device should have an entry field for weight of sample.
...but they claim 9% variance for THC. When there is little THC present in the flowers, its primarily THCA which gets converted to THC when heated.

At the very best the "sensor" might detect the presence of terpene vapor. That might get compared against a database and a randomizer spits out approximate guess of THC numbers.

I'd like to see it tested with leaf or maybe crap quality weed to see what numbers it generates.

Or put a chunk of shatter in the sample tray and see what comes out... Or a sample of THC distillate (Clear) which has very little terpene profile...

THC or THCA has very little vapor pressure so I'm very skeptical their sensor can detect it at all without high heat.
They also claim "our data will only be as accurate as the reference database" which suggests all they are doing is manipulating known testing data and presenting it as actual analysis...

If there was a decent technical description of how it worked it might be worth taking seriously. But there is absolutely nothing other than essentially: "the sensor detects stuff, our algorithm does stuff and the result are accurate"
Obviously if there was proprietary tech involves they would want to protect that but there isn't even a vague description of how this thing can quantify components of a sample without any entry of the sample mass, any description of how the vapor flow is analyzed, any description of sensor response or linearity or even the most basic description of how the sensor is calibrated or responds to known standards.
Not to mention Zero mention of what terpenes it is actually detecting. Lots of semiconductor sensors have been developed, but they are usually highly specific to detecting one chemical.

Flashy website and press releases though...

SpaceBros.

How can they specify a percentage of any of the components this devices supposedly analyzes without knowing how much mass has been placed in the sample insert?

"Approximately 40-50 mg of flower sample was ground against the rim of a MyDx Sample Insert and filled to the Brim" SERIOUSLY? that qualifies as analytical sample preparation?

"approximately 40-50mg" gives a 25% error window to start with, and to have any hope of actually reading a percentage the device should have an entry field for weight of sample.
...but they claim 9% variance for THC. When there is little THC present in the flowers, its primarily THCA which gets converted to THC when heated.

At the very best the "sensor" might detect the presence of terpene vapor. That might get compared against a database and a randomizer spits out approximate guess of THC numbers.

I'd like to see it tested with leaf or maybe crap quality weed to see what numbers it generates.

Or put a chunk of shatter in the sample tray and see what comes out... Or a sample of THC distillate (Clear) which has very little terpene profile...

THC or THCA has very little vapor pressure so I'm very skeptical their sensor can detect it at all without high heat.
They also claim "our data will only be as accurate as the reference database" which suggests all they are doing is manipulating known testing data and presenting it as actual analysis...

If there was a decent technical description of how it worked it might be worth taking seriously. But there is absolutely nothing other than essentially: "the sensor detects stuff, our algorithm does stuff and the result are accurate"
Obviously if there was proprietary tech involves they would want to protect that but there isn't even a vague description of how this thing can quantify components of a sample without any entry of the sample mass, any description of how the vapor flow is analyzed, any description of sensor response or linearity or even the most basic description of how the sensor is calibrated or responds to known standards.
Not to mention Zero mention of what terpenes it is actually detecting. Lots of semiconductor sensors have been developed, but they are usually highly specific to detecting one chemical.

I'm starting to thinking you are right. Unfortunately I just ordered one and promptly downloaded the app. The app is just plain buggy and cumbersome and it appears it can't be used if you're not logged in to their system and connected to the internet. Very suspicious to say the least ...

Needless to say I've already asked for a refund prior to receiving the device. I guess it a case of wanting something so badly to work that I believed it to be so. Now I do believe the electronic-nose technology is out there and researchers have used it to accurately determine Myrcene levels in fruits. But these guys I don't know ...

Looks like I'll be going with TLC for my analysis from now on.

montys

I can only agree

I can only agree

I was buying the Mydx Analyzer for testing industrial hemp with low THC and higher CBD content.
From my experience the device is just guessing what you insert in your test tray. I was trying it with different samples of THC-low industrial hemp and also different THC-rich strains and extracts.

The device always showed me a THC content of between 15 and 20%. The low THC strains (ranging from 0.2 to 0.3% THC content, guaranteed by breeding company) gave me this result as well as some THC rich samples I tested. Even the ICEolator extract gave me a result of *only* 16%.

The device is clearly doing something and the specific value graphs look nice but in the end it's just hokum.

my two cent regarding the Mydx: I think I will sell it and with the money get some gas chromatography analysis instead.

ECtraveler

Veteran
I had friends do a fairly comprehensive comparison test with pre-tested meds and the results were off by up to 50%.

SpaceBros.

Yeah it's not THC it's TCP as they say over at CDx life lol It really makes you wonder what it's actually measuring and how it does it. It's also very suspicious that you need to be logged in to their database and connected to the internet to get your own test result.

Can anyone even confirm their sample is clearly vaporized after testing?

Rickys bong

Veteran
From my experience the device is just guessing what you insert in your test tray. I was trying it with different samples of THC-low industrial hemp and also different THC-rich strains and extracts.

The device always showed me a THC content of between 15 and 20%. ...

Yup. highly glorified random number generator. I'm sure if you put lawn clippings in this thing and entered Blue Dream into the app it would still come back with a number between 15 and 20%.

They raised a bunch of money recently so a long con seems to be the business model they are pursuing. Tons of press releases on the web but zero product reviews other than here.

For the money get a thin layer chromatography kit.

RB

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Yup. highly glorified random number generator. I'm sure if you put lawn clippings in this thing and entered Blue Dream into the app it would still come back with a number between 15 and 20%.

They raised a bunch of money recently so a long con seems to be the business model they are pursuing. Tons of press releases on the web but zero product reviews other than here.

For the money get a thin layer chromatography kit.

RB

lol, this product is literally vaporware. WHILE 1=1 {RND(strainName)}

Last edited:

audiohi

Veteran
They also had high level people leave the company right around the time of public release. That's not at all a good sign in my view.

NotaProfessor

I'm guessing the sensor works on NIR (near infrared) wavelengths. NIR analyzers don't need much sample prep (no extraction necessary, no weighing), they are fast, and given a good enough database, are good enough to give the tolerances the manufacturer is trying to attain.

30 years ago my buddy got to do his work on a (then) newfangled NIR, which they used to analyze whey powders for a calf feed company. Then the lab across town got a NIR for analysis of dairy feeds/forages such as hay and silage. I was working in a lab that did it all with wet chem methods and an atomic absorption spec and it took a minimum of 8 hours for us to process and analyze a sample. NIR was akin to voodoo back then but they could do it in minutes (with an original IBM PC grinding the numbers, 10MB hard drive, 4.77Mhz processor). So 30 years later, processing power and memory has increased 500 to 2,000 times and they've been able to miniaturize the NIR components to cell phone size.

That's my guess what makes it tick, but they do say on their Indiegogo page "To learn more about the sensor technology underlying MyDx, please contact us." so perhaps that's the thing to do. My curiosity isn't piqued enough to ask them tho.

cannabull

This is reeeeediculous on so many levels. don't you think if they could easily test things like, ohhh, food, water, and air in this revolutionary new way it would be bigger news? that kind of device might appeal to roughly 6 billion people for survival, not just trying to identify the terps in their recent dime bag pickup.

If it worked on any level to provide anything of use, why wouldn't every lab in the country replace $100k machines with this thing?

I give this company 6 months before they are forgotten. Even if they could measure something and it correlated across strains (doubtful) they will never ever be able to sell enough devices to hit some sort of critical mass for it to be of any use.

SpaceBros.

This is reeeeediculous on so many levels. don't you think if they could easily test things like, ohhh, food, water, and air in this revolutionary new way it would be bigger news? that kind of device might appeal to roughly 6 billion people for survival, not just trying to identify the terps in their recent dime bag pickup.

If it worked on any level to provide anything of use, why wouldn't every lab in the country replace $100k machines with this thing?

I give this company 6 months before they are forgotten. Even if they could measure something and it correlated across strains (doubtful) they will never ever be able to sell enough devices to hit some sort of critical mass for it to be of any use.

It really pisses me off that these guys can do this. Isn't it clearly a case of false advertising. I kinda got suckered in and you can even see in my earlier posts I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and somewhat vouching for them. Makes me wanna punch Daniel square in the face. I was actually dumb enough to order one but after downloading the crappy app I cancelled my order before the unit arrived.

Like really why the f*ck do I care how a strain makes me feel or what ailments it helps with and why am I forced to share my data with their database these are my tests results for my eyes only! I just want raw data to use for my own breeding projects.