What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Up in Smoke, 500,000 forced to evacuate in Oregon

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
The West coast is burning up, homes lost and grows destroyed, it's gonna be a dry Autumn in more ways than one. :whistling:

Good luck to all affected!:good:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I don't know trichrider but it could have something to do with that old adage, 'misery loves company' is my guess. :tiphat:

Badfishy1

smoke filling the air here in western WA. cannot put the old hound outside, he can barely breath as it is. poor bastard.
many arson arrests being reported.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com...ted-and-planned-attack/?utm_source=whatfinger

what kind of person would intentionally cause fires that damage and destroy peoples lives? rhetorical question...i've already a good idea. mrs. rider suggested burning them at the stake.

What kind of people? The same type of people using Goring’s tactic leading up to the rise of Hitler. The same people using an identical flag to the militant wing of nazi Germany. The same people who project everybody as a Nazi... I’m sure you can guess who these people are. Good luck to anybody in danger.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I hope this storm they are showing comes in and rains, giving them a break. I live in a fire prone area and am just holding my breath. Australia had a horrid fire season as well. My thoughts and well wishes go out to everyone who has lost their lives, and the folks who have lost everything...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
My heart goes out to any of those folks who are out of bud in addition to everything else they are going through. :yeahthats

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
smoke filling the air here in western WA. cannot put the old hound outside, he can barely breath as it is. poor bastard.
many arson arrests being reported.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com...ted-and-planned-attack/?utm_source=whatfinger

what kind of person would intentionally cause fires that damage and destroy peoples lives? rhetorical question...i've already a good idea. mrs. rider suggested burning them at the stake.

What kind of person would release an arsonist so they could set more fires? Liberalism is a disease.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political...rting-7-fires-police-recover-molotov-cocktail

And now local Portland media is reporting that a 45-year old man has been arrested for starting at least seven brush fires near a major highway: "A man arrested Sunday afternoon for allegedly starting a small brush fire along Interstate 205 was arrested again hours after he was released from jail after he allegedly started six more small fires," according to a Portland Police statement.

Nannymouse

We were discussing this 'blame' thing with the fires. Why do you not think that arsons are from just one subset of humans? I would think that the fire-bug tendencies are found in any group. Even gender-partiers of all types. Lightening and power lines will soon be labelled as affiliated with political leanings. Anyone who thinks it's just one party that has arsons is just not educated on the subject. And i would add that many with the arson complex end up as fire fighters. Suppose it's okay to call fire fighting a disease? If you need to vent about liberals, that's okay with me, just do it WELL. That one was pretty lame. The 'umbrella man' that was starting fires in the riots was supposedly 'conservative' trying to make it look like protesters. Why to people hone in on ONE specific event and then blame the whole 'other side'? Why do people continue to post and repost just to fan the flames?

I do tend to lean to the liberal end of the spectrum, i don't claim to be perfect, or that liberalism is perfect. I tend to see liberalism, in general, as foreward thinking, and conservatism is 'stay the same'. Nothing stays the same, so in limiting oneself to not going forward the only direction to go, is back. I know it's more complicated than that, but that's the main idea that guides my decision.

just had to tell a liberal to calm down, cuz they had the idea that it was conservatives that were doing all the arson. As in, helping the 'end of the world' happen. The name calling and finger pointing are not helping.

May everyone stay safe, do what you can to help others, and treat people like you would like to be treated. There is a reason for having more than one party, let them be.

Nannymouse

flylow, i feel your pain. What kind of person would let a person run free who has intentionally let hundreds of thousands of 'his' people die? So, i do understand your pain.

Discussing this with a liberal, i was given an article on the Reichstag Fire, as evidence of how the Nazi's used events to their advantage.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Missed my point entirely about politics - cause I didn't have one. There was an arsonist and he got let loose to keep doing it by a liberal. They probably gave him back his matches (and cigs and lighter) too. We have had arsonists for years. I used to live in the SoCal hills and fires were the real deal. Arsonists have even been found to be firefighters, who needed overtime.

I am surprised that real terrorists don't set more fires, and glad they don't.

What is a real terrorist?

Nannymouse

well, then, my bad! apologies and all that. carry on...

Gosh, i do feel bad about the loss of life, livelyhoods, residences. Then there's the mud slides to worry about, afterward.

St. Phatty

My heart goes out to any of those folks who are out of bud in addition to everything else they are going through. :yeahthats

Bud will get you through times of no Wildfire better than Wildfire will get you through times of no Bud ?

not sure that came out right.

Bud will get you through times of Wildfire better than Wildfire will get you through times of no Bud ?

OK well got 1/2 of it right.

Nannymouse

Probably he got let loose because he, by law, is innocent until proven guilty, and he made bail. Now, we could go ultra conservative and just keep letting cops be the judge and jury? NO? so where is the logical medium? Take his lighter and matches away, and let him go?

I really don't know. Just keep accused arsonists until trial, while letting accused rapists, child molesters, alcoholic drivers, out on bail?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran

I really don't know. Just keep accused arsonists until trial, while letting accused rapists, child molesters, alcoholic drivers, out on bail?

...... arson, alcoholism, child molestation and maybe even rape are all examples of mental compulsions for the most part and are very hard, if not impossible to control by those afflicted.

But as you've noted elsewhere, the State mental hospitals were all closed years ago. :tiphat:

Tynehead Tom

in 2017 my entire town got evacuated, as did many parts of BC.
We had the Gustafson Fire threatening town form the north. Many homes and buildings destroyed north of town. South of us the Elephant Hill Fire was moving fast and they evacuated thousands. We were on immediate alert for the entire summer and there were days I had the entire truck, camper , trailer, atv and boat all loaded and parked by the front gate.
A bigger interior city an hour to the north of us was also threatened by multiple fires coming in from west, south and east. Many thousands evacuated and they all were traffic controlled thru my town and right past my house. Was an endless line of confused and hopeless looking people doing 15 to 20 miles an hour past my driveway.

My wife was evacuated with the essential hospital staff and all patients in care to a town 3 hours south of us. My wife spent july to end of september living out of a hotel and working at the hospital there. I stayed home with the dogs and a greenhouse full of plants..... praying the fires would not reach the lake and force me out. Me and a friend used our 4x4's to run the back roads with supplies for friends who decided to stay and protect thier properties. Was crazy times but we made it thru.
The cariboo wildfires of 2017 came 10km from my house at the northwest (gustafson fire) and the massive Elephant hill fire that seemed totally unstoppable , was snuffed out at 11km to the south of me. Considering the fire was moving up to 15km a day straight for us with the high wind blowing it north.

was crazy times that still affect me today. Watching the fires in California, Oregon, Washington States gives me goosebumps and knots in my gut. You don't know the feeling you get when you know a big fire is headed your way for real.

I am outside of a little town called 100 mile house in the BC interior and I can not even see the other side of the lake due to the smoke from the fires burning in the USA. Crazy!!

be safe my friends