What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone notice how slow forums became?

Sunshineinabag

When strangers ( who don't have a clue about local issues btw) come to my town to rage about things 1500 miles away...then start smashing and vandalizing anything they can get away with.........fuken move along chitbirds.
Things aren't slow here it's just not a liberal ass grab session sowwwy

Klompen

There are a few things at play here. The fact that the kids these days have to have stuff compatible with their phones or they won't do it at all is a big issue. That is a big part of what killed Myspace(Facebook was more phone-friendly).

Then there's the political stuff. In most of the USA, its not highly controversial to suggest police shouldn't kill unarmed people who aren't resisting; Unfortunately here it seems like this is way more debatable than it is in the general public. Like I have seen so many other places: Far right trolls take over a site and drive everyone else away except for a handful of feisty leftists who won't give up no matter what, and then the place becomes an echo chamber more or less and they get the false notion that their ideas are actually popular.

There's also legalization. Who wants to come look at tiny grow journals from illegal states when they can see whole warehouses full of pot in Colorado or whatever.... I mean there's some of us who would, but apparently not enough.

Tynehead Tom

people call me far right LOL
because I don't (politically) hate trump
because I despise the social progressive liberal/democrat left
because my head is usually shaved and I am white
because I drive a 30 year old 3/4 ton 4x4 pick up
because I firmly grounded by the good lord's bible
because I believe every human has the right to defend life (not talking about abortion)
because I believe in the responsible use and ownership of firearms for protection of life and for hunting and sporting reasons.
and I want "less" government intrusion into my life.

on top of that I will be a weed growing outlaw till the day I die.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont mean slow loading, i mean lack of participation, nothings happening for hours, then 1 reply to one thread.

Remember Overgrow? Youd make a thread and within 10 minutes thered be 20 replies

Over grows claim to fame was being first. I loved that site. Icmag at it's peak was busier, and I think better. People who lurked at OG became contributing members here after OG was taken down. As did og members and people who never saw og.

People are busy in the Fall with harvesting, school,etc. :tiphat:
Shiiit...harvest season is the best season for pics online!

The fires/evacuations should also result in a loss of personal grows and product headed to dispensaries.:cry:

I suspect a lot of ICMag Family members will be affected, whether directly or indirectly :hide:
I can tell you a ton of former members are affected.
icmag is much better place now, than it ever was.. around 2007 ogk hype started here, and there were only og kush threads popping every 10 minutes, ogk this and og kush then - and usually it was pretty disgusting, after 2010/2012 all these hypers disappeared.. yeah! much much better now. thank you instagram you keep those hypers and followers of seed sellers there. I say less crowd, more real people..
While I agree that OG was the most talked about, and that some of those convos got NASTY, I'll take x-amount of deserved hype vs 100x-amount of undeserved hype that goes on today. And THOSE hypers were/are not only some of the best growers ever seen online, they are cannabis historians with a clear view of our collective past. In no way, shape or form was losing these folks from our community a good thing.

I am really disturbed that Far-right conspiracy theories are being pushed at speakers corner. NOT a good look for a weed site and likely to drive many people away.

As someone who contributes towards this website, it makes me feel like a hypocrite, because i strongly object to the viewpoint and feel it is completely inappropriate content for IC.

VG
The invasion of "regular" republicans into the cannabis scene was bad enough, but these new ones literally ruin any forum on any subject they touch. And the VAST majority are either too young or ignorant to understand WHY american growers/consumers despise everything about the conservative movement.
Ok snowflake.
You ever take time to notice that conservatives much more accurately reflect the buzzword groupspeak culture they've tried so hard to create?
- Perhaps you need to post some far-left conspiracy theories in the Speakers Corner - to make what balance you seem to feel it needs then? -

- If you strongly object to members discussing whatever theories and/or hypothesis surrounding current events, politics or religion - whether they be deemed left or right or straight up the middle - then I suggest you stay out of that area of the site - for peace of mind -

- I'm not about to censor anyone for their political or religious beliefs - and would rather hear them talk about it - and discuss/debate around them -
No need for far left conspiracies. No time. When dealing with right wingers, every minute of every day is not enough time to rebutt all the horseshit spewed out of their dirty lower class mouths.

It's not a super popular opinion, but I place icmag as the #1 cannabis forums in history. The participation factor put it over the top. The history contained there may have been the purest form, but it all pretty much transferred here, along with so many users. The history contained here is a larger body, even with what's been lost.

Someone made a point about the newbs nowadays always wanting their hands held. And it's true, and it's a valid point. 15 years ago, newbs would study the question, look for the answer, and PRETEND they hadn't, so they weren't called lazy or stupid when they asked. Nowadays, people don't even research for the most part, they DO want to just have people coach them day to day thru the entire process. This doesn't reflect a difference in upbringing or ability, it's a difference in culture. When I was 18 you didn't ask questions of non blood relatives regarding cannabis cultivation because it could lead to a 20-40 year prison sentence, or worse! So you bought Jorge cervantes' book and hunkered down w a highlighter. There were no forums. No help. The main problem I see in this regard isnt that the hand hold culture exists(created by cannabis sites like this by the way), it's that you've got growers w 5 or 8 yrs experience answering the questions instead of people with 20-30 yrs. I don't spend all my time here insulting conservatives like some people think, I explore. And I see some of y'all "experts" that I wouldn't even let unzip one my tents!

And most importantly, forums are no longer the safe harbor for the outlaws. Safe harbor is not needed nearly as much. Outlaws built this culture and industry, not legal growers.

Cannabis culture is being remade as we speak. If 15 years ago(and these #'s are strictly fabricated for ease of conversation) there were say...50 million smokers and say 100k knowledgeable growers, today there are 250 million smokers and....25 million growers. There is a 20 yr learning curve to being a "cannabist"...so according to my metaphorical numbers, we have to wait for all you muthrfukrs to catch up. Newbs ARE the culture now. Sheer numbers determine that newbs RUN almost the ENTIRE legal cannabis culture. The vast majority of "experts" now running this shit coast to coast would have been destroyed here on icmag 15 years ago for saying what they say and posting what they post. I mean shredded! So badly they probably woulda quit smoking dope entirely.
Quit wishing for something that will never, ever, come back. The golden age of online Canna is over. Take advantage of what you can here, try to avoid conservatives, and read some godamn books on cannabis cultivation. If your ADD or newly minted autism diagnosis makes that difficult, read just ONE.(Jorge's) cuz that's all the og's everyone laments losing ever had and it worked out for our generation fine.

Wild Seed

I think a large part of the problem online generally is that everyone jumps to conclusions about whether someone is right or left, nice or nasty, mad or sane, etc. The forced divisiveness of the external social theatre has infected every corner of the internet, just as we see here. That's partly why I started the 'whats your type' thread, to better understand each others thinking without the politics.

I like that IC enables discussion of serious issues within a specific subculture and community, but serious subjects can be taken too seriously by some. I think assuming certain types of debate are automatically hateful or far right or whatever other label minimizes the value of the insights and ideas they offer. However, I might agree that certain subjects needn't be sticky, if only because they might be perceived to be artificially promoted on behalf of the diverse community and interests here.

Otherwise, many younger potential members are on IG or elsewhere. Smoke reports are now rare, commercialization more common. Legalization has normalized weed, and many only require the information available from a bud-tender or terpene profile. And social politics, within and beyond this community, are fast filling the void.

The history of Cannabis is going through great change, and I'd hope that the forefathers of this hobby who reside here can stay involved and united for the road ahead.

Great outdoors

Over grows claim to fame was being first. I loved that site. Icmag at it's peak was busier, and I think better. People who lurked at OG became contributing members here after OG was taken down. As did og members and people who never saw og.

Shiiit...harvest season is the best season for pics online!

I can tell you a ton of former members are affected.

While I agree that OG was the most talked about, and that some of those convos got NASTY, I'll take x-amount of deserved hype vs 100x-amount of undeserved hype that goes on today. And THOSE hypers were/are not only some of the best growers ever seen online, they are cannabis historians with a clear view of our collective past. In no way, shape or form was losing these folks from our community a good thing.

The invasion of "regular" republicans into the cannabis scene was bad enough, but these new ones literally ruin any forum on any subject they touch. And the VAST majority are either too young or ignorant to understand WHY american growers/consumers despise everything about the conservative movement.

You ever take time to notice that conservatives much more accurately reflect the buzzword groupspeak culture they've tried so hard to create?

No need for far left conspiracies. No time. When dealing with right wingers, every minute of every day is not enough time to rebutt all the horseshit spewed out of their dirty lower class mouths.

It's not a super popular opinion, but I place icmag as the #1 cannabis forums in history. The participation factor put it over the top. The history contained there may have been the purest form, but it all pretty much transferred here, along with so many users. The history contained here is a larger body, even with what's been lost.

Someone made a point about the newbs nowadays always wanting their hands held. And it's true, and it's a valid point. 15 years ago, newbs would study the question, look for the answer, and PRETEND they hadn't, so they weren't called lazy or stupid when they asked. Nowadays, people don't even research for the most part, they DO want to just have people coach them day to day thru the entire process. This doesn't reflect a difference in upbringing or ability, it's a difference in culture. When I was 18 you didn't ask questions of non blood relatives regarding cannabis cultivation because it could lead to a 20-40 year prison sentence, or worse! So you bought Jorge cervantes' book and hunkered down w a highlighter. There were no forums. No help. The main problem I see in this regard isnt that the hand hold culture exists(created by cannabis sites like this by the way), it's that you've got growers w 5 or 8 yrs experience answering the questions instead of people with 20-30 yrs. I don't spend all my time here insulting conservatives like some people think, I explore. And I see some of y'all "experts" that I wouldn't even let unzip one my tents!

And most importantly, forums are no longer the safe harbor for the outlaws. Safe harbor is not needed nearly as much. Outlaws built this culture and industry, not legal growers.

Cannabis culture is being remade as we speak. If 15 years ago(and these #'s are strictly fabricated for ease of conversation) there were say...50 million smokers and say 100k knowledgeable growers, today there are 250 million smokers and....25 million growers. There is a 20 yr learning curve to being a "cannabist"...so according to my metaphorical numbers, we have to wait for all you muthrfukrs to catch up. Newbs ARE the culture now. Sheer numbers determine that newbs RUN almost the ENTIRE legal cannabis culture. The vast majority of "experts" now running this shit coast to coast would have been destroyed here on icmag 15 years ago for saying what they say and posting what they post. I mean shredded! So badly they probably woulda quit smoking dope entirely.
Quit wishing for something that will never, ever, come back. The golden age of online Canna is over. Take advantage of what you can here, try to avoid conservatives, and read some godamn books on cannabis cultivation. If your ADD or newly minted autism diagnosis makes that difficult, read just ONE.(Jorge's) cuz that's all the og's everyone laments losing ever had and it worked out for our generation fine.

That was the best post I have read here. Couldn't agree with you more on pretty much everything you said here.
Like you I am way old school and have been growing for close to 40yrs. I live in BC and would only think of joining on a weed website because it is now legal in Canada.

I joined this site initially thinking because it was international, and the terms and conditions said stay out of political and religious discussion it would be a good place to discuss some cutting edge growing techniques and research, etc. But it seems most the traffic here is the same political Trump shit as every other forum out there these days.
To the days when weed growing was so outlaw no right winger would be caught dead close to it. I think once they discovered the money in it, it was all over.

rolandomota

Veteran
In the end only you can prevent forest fires.
What I'm trying to to say is only you can determine if you like something or not so why seek others opinions most of the time their wrong anyway only you can decide from experience.
I get lazy as fuck anyway once harvest comes around and I'm rolling in buds I always convince myself to not post shit for what I say?
I feel guilty sure but again I don't have to post shit it's a free world

JDubsocal

I don't come to this site for politics. I don't come here to argue. I come here to research this vault of knowledge to learn how to get the most of what I can when growing, and I have learned lots. I appreciate everyone who contributes their success and failures. Reading current and older threads taught me what to look out for when growing my own. But I have noticed a slow down in the few short years I have been on here. Doesn't bother me. Means most of the a-holes are trolling other platforms so good riddance!

This might be turning into a smaller community but it is still my favorite by far. Thank you experienced growers for all the kindness you have shown, with tips, and awesome plants. Maybe someday I will find the thread on how to post pictures correctly!

Attachments

• 20200906_175018.jpg
    20200906_175018.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 23

Hubbleman

Veteran
I think Gypsy needs some direct marketing and advertising.

Spread the word around the world about this awesome cannabis site.

ps. it would be even more awesome if not for childish moderation tactics

Hubbleman

Veteran
I know.
Back in 2006 when OG was busted

All people flocked to ICMag. And Gypsy had leverage to impose his laws. Now that it cooled down, things becoming a bit better, no more members to ban and cripple the site

Sunshineinabag

There are a few things at play here. The fact that the kids these days have to have stuff compatible with their phones or they won't do it at all is a big issue. That is a big part of what killed Myspace(Facebook was more phone-friendly).

Then there's the political stuff. In most of the USA, its not highly controversial to suggest police shouldn't kill unarmed people who aren't resisting; Unfortunately here it seems like this is way more debatable than it is in the general public. Like I have seen so many other places: Far right trolls take over a site and drive everyone else away except for a handful of feisty leftists who won't give up no matter what, and then the place becomes an echo chamber more or less and they get the false notion that their ideas are actually popular.

There's also legalization. Who wants to come look at tiny grow journals from illegal states when they can see whole warehouses full of pot in Colorado or whatever.... I mean there's some of us who would, but apparently not enough.

Big grows are overrated unless you have ocd lol

Sunshineinabag

I don't come to this site for politics. I don't come here to argue. I come here to research this vault of knowledge to learn how to get the most of what I can when growing, and I have learned lots. I appreciate everyone who contributes their success and failures. Reading current and older threads taught me what to look out for when growing my own. But I have noticed a slow down in the few short years I have been on here. Doesn't bother me. Means most of the a-holes are trolling other platforms so good riddance!

This might be turning into a smaller community but it is still my favorite by far. Thank you experienced growers for all the kindness you have shown, with tips, and awesome plants. Maybe someday I will find the thread on how to post pictures correctly!
Many thx for this insight brother.
Can you show me how to grow upside down plants like in your pic? Lolol just joshing ya:dance:

Latest posts

Latest posts