What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Self breeding question

Hello,
i've heard about self polenization. So you can make seeds with only one plant, and feminized seeds on the more.
So why there are no G13 seeds for instance?
Thanks

What I wanna know is, if you self pollinate; it's feminized right?

So if I take female pollen from mother "A" and pollinate some other strain "B", is the new cross feminized? Does it have to be identical genes to make feminized seeds?

Forgive me, I did badly in biology. I think me and op have the same question only worded different.

B

Benny106

If you use pollen from a female the seeds produced will be mostly female.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello,
i've heard about self polenization. So you can make seeds with only one plant, and feminized seeds on the more.
Thanks

We do that all the time..If the pollen comes from a female plant the seeds will be fem. There's plenty of g13 fem/s1 seeds made today .
G13 X G13= Fem s1
XXX x G13=Fem

lLucky

Yeah fem x fem = fem, but sometimes you'll get a "male"

lots and lots of breeders make seeds this way

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah fem x fem = fem, but sometimes you'll get a "male"

lots and lots of breeders make seeds this way

IMO id bet it's not a male. Odds are pollen contamination or a reg seed got mixed in. Unfortunately all that claim to have found 1 never got it tested. Its very rare to find 1.

lLucky

IMO id bet it's not a male. Odds are pollen contamination or a reg seed got mixed in. Unfortunately all that claim to have found 1 never got it tested. Its very rare to find 1.

I thought it was known to happen, but very rarely.. and that the plant was actually still a female just exhibiting strong male traits.. but yeah random pollen could always be a factor

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
G13 is better when outcrossed. Selling doesn't recreate the plant you started with, or even its parents, but new plants with limited gene pools. The chaps have answered the rest of the question.

Amynamous

Hello,
Thanks

With “normal” outcrossing, we can pick and choose the genes we want to pass down to the next generation by selecting parents that contain the genetic traits we want to pass on. Typically, dominant genes get expressed.
With selfing, it is much easier for recessive traits to get passed to the next generation. The recessive traits are unknown and could easily lead to poor results. This isn’t a big deal for hobby breeders that chuck pollen for their own amusement and for basic preservation. But if i am spending a small fortune for seeds, i want seeds that grow true. It would be wiser too create female pollen and chuck it on a healthy sibling or even a parent, or an aunt.

G13 is better when outcrossed. Selling doesn't recreate the plant you started with, or even its parents, but new plants with limited gene pools.

Like a degeneretion? Like fucking between the same family members? I can anderstand..
I've grown some seeds that were giving very weird buds, like malformation.

Thanks

I've got an example : i've got 2 females of the same strain, very good, and i want to make female seeds because cloning is difficult. The seeds i'll get, are they going to be as good as the parents?
Other try : i love a strain, but the breeder is dead, the seeds are almost sold out, only regular, and it's hard to clone this strain. What could i do?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got an example : i've got 2 females of the same strain, very good, and i want to make female seeds because cloning is difficult. The seeds i'll get, are they going to be as good as the parents?
Other try : i love a strain, but the breeder is dead, the seeds are almost sold out, only regular, and it's hard to clone this strain. What could i do?

Yes, there will be phenos as good or better. It can take just a few seeds to find or many. I make a lot of fem seeds all the time. Some of my best keepers came from Fem seeds.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If you think cloning is difficult, you don't want to try making femmed seeds. You could reveg, but that's hugely inefficient.

The question you're asking is if Einstein had had kids, would they be any good at physics.
Get a crystal ball.
The answer will be different with every seed you pop.

The more seeds you pop, the greater the chance of finding one that meets your criteria. Its cheaper to make seeds than to buy them.

Cloning is not hard

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It takes time learning how to do it well. Even I have issues from time to time. Ive learned there are techniques that work if another doesn't .

lLucky

Thanks for the link Hammerhead I'll be saving that as well, I've only used other methods for fem seeds not STS.

Latest posts

Latest posts