What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root Ball Medicine for Pain, Inflammation and More?

Bobby Boucher

My next question would be..

Which compounds are we actually after in the root system that aren't in the rest of the plant?

ie, is my root based topical going to be more effective than my trim based topical?

Which leads into question two, which solvents are (or aren't) the desirable compounds readily dissolvable in?

ie, would a prolonged alcohol extraction yield more of the desirables than a prolonged butane extraction?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The linked article has the info on which compounds we're working with. The compounds in the roots are different than in the plant, and affect the body a different way. Combining both will combine the usefulness of both. Useful if you need a combination of their effects, but not sure if it's extra beneficial in any way. Time will tell I guess.

Thicker roots? I'd make sure they're fully saturated with water (soaking works) before freezing them. Dry them out again and they break up a lot easier. As for extractions, I've only done olive oil with a pressure cooker so far. Just finished a quart this afternoon. :)

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
just made my first coconut oil infusion/extraction. overnight in a crockpot,
light amber color. haven't tried it yet tho'.
i made it for the Mrs., she has arthritis pretty bad. hoping for the miracle of pain relief for her.
will report here the results, if any, of any analgesic effect.
be well.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
OK... I got these roots as clean as I can. I cut them up with scissors nice and small. I ended up with about an ounce of roots. I put this in a crock pot with about a cup of coconut oil. It has been cooking on low (about 180F for 12 hours. I ordered beeswax and it will be here today. How much beeswax do I add? This is what I got...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSQ6PGD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll strain the roots and add the beeswax.

However, it sounds like a better idea to take it roots and all and wrap it in cheesecloth to make a pad to place on the area of pain.

I have to go back and read that paper again but as I recall, it only works on analgesic pain. Much of my pain is nerve damage pain and I recall reading that it's not for that kind of pain. I also have arthritis head to toe so I can try some joints. Also, some muscle pain in the lower back. Should work great there. Bone spurs everywhere. Might work there.

Truth is, I don't expect it to work at all, anywhere. Cannabis just doesn't seem to do anything for me. Not sure if it's tolerance or that I don't have B1 receptors. LOL

However, this application should not be affected by my tolerance issues so.... keeping fingers crossed.

Douglas.Curtis

If you want the relief to go deep into your knee, elbow, hip, etc... you will want to leave out the wax. I'll only note this one more time, beeswax reduces how deep and quickly the oil can penetrate.

Your goal is to get it deep into the skin, so it enters the capillaries. Your normal blood flow will carry it to the internal tissue of the surrounding area.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Cool, I'll skip the wax. Thanks.

Perhaps we would want to add certain terps that open pores. Certain pepper (capistan ?sp) can open skin pores. I recall the recipe for "Holy Annointing Oil" had an ingredient to open the pores, no?

Just tossing it out.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey gang, I have a question about this.

I was reading the paper that was posted and the reference papers used for that. And, if I understand properly, all the ancient references said they boiled in water to extract the water soluble components from the roots.

Why are we using oil to extract water soluble compounds?

I read that for some burns and topical they mixed it with oil AFTER the extraction but the extraction was by pulverizing (and/or boiling water)..

There are various traditional methods of preparing cannabis root for therapeutic use. The raw cannabis roots can be prepared by pounding and crushing the fresh root to extract its juices.10,13,14 There are numerous mentions of cannabis root preparations in water, especially boiling water,1,2,4–6,8,14 which suggest that early formulators were attempting to extract the water-soluble compounds in the roots.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
The oil also does a fantastic job of extraction, and oil mixes with oil significantly better than it does with water.
wink.gif

That's my point. The stuff we are extracting from the roots is WATER soluble. NOT oil.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made some wrapping in cheesecloth, pounding with mallet, into coconut oil/water and simmered 12 hrs in crock pot.
Friends and customers really like it!!
Added arnica oil with it, frankincense oil for added inflammation relief.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis preparations, made by pounding the raw root into a juice and mixing it with fat, have been used topically to soothe skin burns. In 1542, the German physician Leonard Fuchs wrote of hemp: “the raw root, pounded and wrapped, is good for the burn.”

In 1640, Parkinson described the qualities of hemp as “cold and dry” and, in addition to recommending it for inflammation, noted that “the decoction of the root and the fresh juice mixed with oil or butter [is] good for any place that had been burnt by fire.” And in 1758, the French author Mercandier wrote about hemp in Traitè du Chanvre, indicating that the root ‘‘pounded and ground fresh, with butter in a mortar, one applies it to burns, which it soothes infinitely, provided it is often renewed.”

https://www.projectcbd.org/culture/cannabis-roots-traditional-medicine-modern-science

Douglas.Curtis

That's my point. The stuff we are extracting from the roots is WATER soluble. NOT oil.
Actually, in this particular case, "AND oil." ;)

Oil is a fabulous carrier, water is not. Olive oil and essential oils mix superbly well, and penetrate deep into the skin. Oil and essential oils is, well, oil and water.

I'm not saying you have to use oil for your extractions. Use whatever you want. I have experience with olive oil and essential oil based mixes, and gave up the water combos years ago. Efficacy and efficiency wins for me. :)

Bobby Boucher

I’m going to have a buttload of hydro roots here any moment, and if there’s no consensus, I might have to try a half dozen different techniques here..

denatured alcohol extraction, pc water extraction, pc olive oil extraction, crock pot coconut oil extraction, cold press root juice extraction, and possibly a butane extraction.

Might just pulverize it in all into a glass jar and let it sit in ethanol for a month before collecting and boofing the resulting resins. Not like anybody wants to watch me bumble through all these experiments I wouldn’t even be able to quantify.

:fartyparty:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
You are going to Boof the collected resins from the roots?
In that case, I'd definitely add oil for lubrication.