What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Colorado marijuana death?

theother

Oh man, that sucks for his family. I have kind of wondered what is gonna happen when joe blow can just pop into a store anywhere and grab some great nug. I have a feeling some people are gonna start getting pretty anxious....

We have to remember, what makes our day all sunny and bright can send the uninitiated into fits of terror and anxiety. Time will tell I guess. I hope people learn to pace themselves.

MIway

Veteran
super hard for me to relate. smoked weed before cigs, before alcohol even... never ever been out of my mind from weed. fell asleep a whole bunch of times, but...?

theother

I went for a long period without smoking much if any, (was busy, I know its a crappy excuse, but I was just always super busy). When I came back let me tell you, that shit is strong. I took a b load and just honestly drifted around my head for awhile. Even with a good number 10+ years of everyday usage behind me, it was still incredibly powerful after that break. I think most of us are just gonna get a little quiet for awhile or whatever. The danger probably comes from people with underlying un diagnosed mental illness or no background in mind altering substances.

Last edited:

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
I think edibles are nice and strong, and for someone who doesnt even smoke to go straight to edibles is kind of ridiculous.
Hopefully people will be cautious and not over do it on their first go, or think because they smoked years and years ago they can just go right back where they were before. Even a short break can really take the tolerance down a lot. This stuff is strong. Weird it caused that reaction in him, but as theother said there was probably an underlying mental condition that caused an irrational excited state when he ate the cookies.

HydroManiac

I haven't been able to smoke in almost 4 years when the day comes that i do I can imagine it is going to be like getting high for the 1st time

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I think the reason this did not happen during prohibition is that people don't like to bring heat to themselves so they aren't letting people do shit like eat powerful edibles without babysitting or knowing the person could handle it

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Edibles can be overpowering for someone who hasn't gotten high in a while (or at all). They're awesome when the dose is right, but the right dose for a daily toker can be 50 or 100 times higher than the right dose for a newbie.

I had an "overdose" experience my first time making brownies. I basically rode it out in bed for 3 full days. I would have not have been safe out in public. I've heard lots of stories like that since then. Lots of people try edibles once, have a scary experience, and never try weed again. An accidental death is shitty but completely possible for someone new to weed. People new to weed should start tiny with edibles and only have them in a safe place.

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
a bit of pepper in the edibles it's the indian kitchen secret for a trip without raceheart/pressure problems.

justpassnthru

Veteran
If it were Marijuana intoxication he would have been crapping and peeing all over. It is difficult to believe that he would jump off a building as a result of mmj intoxication from a brownie alone. Could have been a flashback of some other drug or mental disease. jpt

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The other stories I read made it sound like an accident. Weed can have a tendency to heighten emotions, though. It's possible someone could be suicidal if they were already in a major depression before a "bad trip" with a strong edible.

People die every day from alcohol, whether it's from an accident, overdose, or chronic abuse. Weed is 100% safe physically, but consuming way too much is unpleasant. Stories like this are extremely rare but possible. Stories about the millions of people who die from alcohol or tobacco don't usually make the news.

Lung.Butter

Maybe the guy had a massive panic attack and thought he was fried for life. Its not that uncommon for people to kill themselves on hallucinogenic substances.

I've seen some people totally lose it on weed over the years.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
He had to have been insane or something man. He never smoked weed before and was like I'll take sour diesel and super silver haze

The haze/Sativa's get you every time. Most of the time I'msmoking it and half way through a jar iI'm like oh I'm not getting high because its a sativa, but I did make a sculpture and a blanket fort

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
i usually cant walk after eating two of the cookies i make and i rarely eat them there so strong and im big cannabis user. eating weed can be as intense and scary and up to the same level as shrooms LSD etc.

I call it 'bath salt syndrome'.

When a drug can be bought over the counter and legally it has a tendency to attract users who otherwise wouldn't try it.

Eating too much of a potent edible can make even experienced users uncomfortable.