What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I was going to go with LED but..

Easy7

Veteran
I'd go with name brands only unless they are a pioneer in some new area.

LED is great for veg and scrog or short sog. Light is a wave of vibrating particles. Lose some spectrum (a range of vibrations) and the whole wave loses potency of effect. Mostly in penitration.

Look into cmh 630s. Excellent for flowering or oreflowering veg. Too much for seedlings and mother plants unless you are a big rich fancy dealer. Otherwise why choose a 600 hps over 639 cmh? Cmh outperforms hps.

Spaventa

Veteran
I had a pretty low opinion of HPS when they were the best option. Now, with CMH, i'd have to dislike someone intensely to even give them a HPS rig for free. Its like giving someone a faulty gun or moonshine or both. Point is a lot of people got away with it, but with CMH now available cheap, you would have to be crazy or just not not know better.

stim

just a thought whatever digital ballast you do go with the fully sealed ones with no fan are thought of as higher quality gear they can run without the assist of cooling and are more well engineered higher quality units usually as a rule of thumb. CMH is probably your best bet.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The bud room runs various LED units, right now the favorite is Dwarf Star by Black Diamond.
At 230 watts each of excellent spectrum and no failures in three years the four Dwarf Stars feed almost a plant and a half, about 700 watts per plant. Standard in the past with other brands (Platinum, Black Dog, Advanced) has been a shade over 800 watts per plant.
Penetration is better than many, definitely kicks Black Dog's butt.
Photo is a six foot Blueberry, the lower buds are pushing an eighth ounce each. The foot long cola looks to be an ounce.

The room also has 1400 watts of CMH. Short plants like the CMH and tall plants like LED. Could just be the strain choices as only a few strains are used with any regularity.

Attachments

• Six feet of Blueberry is a shock, her sisters were under four.jpg
    Six feet of Blueberry is a shock, her sisters were under four.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 21
  • Top of Blueberry using a flash after hours..jpg
    Top of Blueberry using a flash after hours..jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 18

Spaventa

Veteran

I just googled it. Apparently theres an issue with its compliance and certification. You need to check the label apparently to see if yours is affected. It probably doesn't matter but I'd feel bad if I said nothing and then you come on here next week saying your light caught fire.
https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/led-check-viparspectra-600w.1432754/

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'm using a 400w hps with added blue in the bulb. Magnetic ballest. Been doing it this way for 18 years. Only thing I'd swap for is a dual ho t5. Cmh is a too expensive and b too many watts for my setup. Not seen an led that compares yet.

Spaventa

Veteran
I looked in to it it should be all good I hope.

There wasn't any reports of any actual problems, never mind any resulting in harm with them so I was playing safe to even mention it.
All that said, congrats on your upgrade to full spectrum high efficiency grow lighting, may your harvests be many :)