What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenes for edibles

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I recall reading somewhere that not decarbing the source (pot/rosin/whatever) all the way can cause a delay effect.

I don't know if that's valid or not.

I added a few cocktails tonight to cap the mix but I'm not even sleepy. LMAO

If I do feel something from edibles, I usually know in the first hour or so.

ozzieAI

Veteran
I recall reading somewhere that not decarbing the source (pot/rosin/whatever) all the way can cause a delay effect.

I don't know if that's valid or not.

this could be a factor when you consider this experiment: https://marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/

Cannabis Trim @ 240F
Before Decarb 30 Min 60 Min Decarb
THCA 6.5% 2.9% .2%
THC .6% 4.8% 6.9%
CBDA .2% .2% .1%
CBD 0% 0% .1%
CBN 0% 0% 0%
Moisture 3.4% 4.5% 0%
Total 7.3% 7.9% 7.3%
Cannabanoids

There appears to exist some correlation between hypertension & decreased efficacy of cannabinoids. Although it is looking more like the cause of hypertension is important as well.

The other variable that is being observed is cortisol levels which I wouldn't expect anyone here to have accurate tests off hand for, although they have some OTC tests nowadays if anybody is interested but doesn't want to visit the doctor.

Adrenal fatigue is a possibility. Not totally conclusive but try the pupil test to get an idea of if this might be an issue for you.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
WFF how did you find dealing Buy-Terpenes.com? i am in OZ and need to order a minimum $1000 to get international shipping

I have done two orders with them (~$900), and their packing/handling is second to none. They individually wrap each bottle with multiple thick layers secured by rubber band. These go in ~3 gallon plastic bucket that is completely filled with foam to prevent movement. This bucket is then further secured with insert foam in a very tough outer box. It was one of the nicest shipped products that I have ever received.

As to getting over $1k, this seems like lot of money, but when you factor how many vape carts and edibles that you can make with 60-80oz of terpenes, it all becomes relative. I definitely recommend picking up at least 1oz of Alpha Bisabolol & Ocimene despite the high price. These two seemed to add depth (AB for indica and O for sativa) to the effects.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Very interesting discussion on the delay of effect onsetting. I was going to make a thread in the edibles section discussing this very topic. I am curious what people think about timing with food. I always thought it was better to take with a meal as it would help push it through the digestive system versus an empty stomach where it could sit for a while longer? If this true, would it be better to take before (to allow components to dissolve) or after?

What about quality of diet? I have seen a bit of evidence that edibles have quicker effect if you have a large amount of fat on your stomach, like from a fried steak and mashed potatoes covered in gravy. Do anyone think that skinny people with a high metabolism have a harder time feeling the effects? Might have to do with the way their bodies process fats.

I will state that I noticed quicker onset of effects when I started adding a decent amount of Sunflower Lecithin, and that effects come on even quicker when terpenes are added. I speculate that if you are already "high" with a decent amount of THC in your system, the quick onset with terpenes infused edibles is actually because the terpenes are processed through the liver quicker, similar to drinking alcohol. So, terpenes hit brain first, followed by THC. Too much terpenes and you have lingering effect, that if taken to the extreme could have very serious health effects. A spiked (high terpene) edible is fine as a one off, but if you or others consume edibles with terpenes every day, you really need to be responsible and lower the terpene ratio. These compounds should only be used by serious people that have respect for others.

G

Gr33nSanta

Ive been making pills using roughly 30 mg of rosin per pill which should be somewhere around 15 mg of thc per pill.

I press the bubble hash at low temps, 84 C, then I heat up olive oil and rosin together just enough to get an almost boil and to get rosin and olive oil to homogenize.
I then keep the olive oil hot enough so that it goes through the syringe easily but cool enough that it does not melt the syringe :)

I have made a few batches for friends, I do not like to eat so to be honest I have not even tried them but friends do like them. I do not think the decarb time matters, as long as you reach the temperature once.

ozzieAI

Veteran
i am using raw material in my caps mixed with coconut oil and lecithin, the terpenes used come via essential oils (safe for ingestion). i did another small tester batch where i added more oil and lecithin to see if that helped reduce the delay.

i always try and eat something with the caps as i have found this helps most of the time.

I do not think the decarb time matters, as long as you reach the temperature once.

i think along these lines as well as i do a very short decarb, a few minutes, with raw material mixed with the oil and lecithin.

I agree that an empty stomach probably isn't ideal as the oil will mostly sit in stomach acids. I've tried many different dosing schedules and find it's usually best mid meal.

I'm very interested in seeing this move forward.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
OK, I pulled the trigger on a batch of terps from Trueterpenes. I got everything you suggested except the Humulene.

I sure hope this helps. I'm just about ready to give up on edibles.

Thanks again WFF.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
OK, I pulled the trigger on a batch of terps from Trueterpenes. I got everything you suggested except the Humulene.

I sure hope this helps. I'm just about ready to give up on edibles.

Thanks again WFF.

Nice! I will eat my hat if you are disappointed. Do you like a sativa or indica type high? I can point you in the right direction on some recipes.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Get your fork and spoon ready. LOL

I'll take any high I can get. I get just about zero effect from cannabis. I don't know if it's a tolerance thing or if I just killed off all my CBx receptors in the 60's LOL

My first try will be with 1 gram of rosin. That's my current test level. I have tried a little more than a gram a couple times but I have done 1 gram enough times to know I get almost zero effect.

So, for 1 gram of rosin, how much terp should I add?

My SOP is to put the gram of rosin in a 10ml beaker and heat it on a hotplate at about 250F until it's decarbed (bubbles almost stop).

Then, as it cools, I add whatever addons I am using... oil, lecithin, whatever.

Then, I use a pipette to dispense it into 1 ml caps (size 00 I think). 1 gram and a little oil usually make 2 caps.

Thanks again for all the help and hand holding. If this works, I definitely owe ya a beer. LOL

And, if it doesn't work, I'll buy you a beer anyway....... to help wash down your hat.

LOL

ozzieAI

Veteran
wow RD now that is a tolerance...rosin comes in at around 75% THC so 1 gram would have 750mg of THC...i got completely shit faced on 200 mg yesterday

watching this closely as i have a friend who also has a very high tolerance who would like to lower his level so he can enjoy my caps as well...

good luck

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Last part made me bust out laughing. I think you are going to be quite surprised, as I know I was.

At such high doses, I really think that you need to lower the ratio of terpenes significantly. Maybe around 5-10%. So, 500mg (~1 gram rosin) would get 25-50mg of terpenes if to be taken in singe session. I would start here and work higher if minimal effect, but remember terpenes seem to have a cumulative effect. 50mg doses (meant for normal tolerance) might have a much higher ratio and get 20-30mg terpenes per to get the same extra punch.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
It might also be that you have a high tolerance to terpenes and require a larger dose, but I would still start with less and work up.

Try an extra hard decarb if you are getting no effect at all off a gram. I was under the same impression, eating cannabis wasn't working for me because of my high tolerance.... Not true, I ate 2 grams a few weeks ago that were decarbed hard (not a hundred percent how long or hot but much longer then I usually do) and damn I was not ready for that. I usually feel barely anything from a fat dose but this time I was stupefied and could barely move for the rest of the night. Next Time I make some I will be taking a lot less then two grams but I will be over decarbing from now on. Ps I used to just let the bubbles stop at 250 and call it good and everyone I gave them to got grate results and loved them. I would eat them and feel nothing blaming my high tolerance.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Ringo - Here are a few recipes for you to try, that have been modified with what you have. I did not include names as they are missing a few ingredients, but only ~5-10%. These make 3ml but you can adjust to any scale.

Sativa

β-Myrcene (59.63%) 1.788 ml
α-Pinene (17.39%) 0.522 ml
DLimonene (9.94%) 0.298 ml
β-Pinene (6.21%) 0.186 ml
Caryophyllene (5.59%) 0.167 ml
Linalool (1.24%) 0.037 ml

Hybrid

β-Caryophyllene (57.14%) 1.714 ml
DLimonene (22.98%) 0.689 ml
β-Myrcene (8.70%) 0.260 ml
Linalool (5.59%) 0.167 ml