What's new

Growing for Family Coming Off Opiates...

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
My cousin suffered a back injury a few years ago and since has had several operations and been fed opiates from doctors who only want him coming back.

We have done a lot of planning and he has made the descision he wants to come off ALL drugs using cannabis.

I've researched and been given what I consider sound advice. I will be giving him canna milk. 3 ounces to a gallon simmered in a pressure cooker for several hours.

I think I'll start him on a tablespoon. He does smoke, though not as much these days. And I figure he has some tolerance.

I need all of your help. Anyone with ANY experience with this please chime in. But moreso, I need a STRONG INDICA. So any thoughts?

I'll first search out the proper strain. Then I plan to run it in a 600w SOG. This will also give us more time to prepare mentally.

The doctors want to put a morphine pump IN him, and that freaked him out and gave him a wake up call.

So strong indica for pain. Ideas?

Bubba,Sour bubble let them both go 70 days orally taken will out do any opiate. Not really that hard my wife did it cold turkey 240 mg morphine a day. If he makes up his mind to do it he can easily with herb and your help, good luck.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Here's the deal man. I have similar problems with the back. Marijuana is going to RELAX the muscles in his back, help any muscle spasms, dilate the blood vessels in his back allowing for increased blood flow to any muscles that may be "pinching" the vessels in and around his back allowing for increased circulation, and in my case, does help with nerve pain.. It may or may not help with the pain especially if that pain is intense as I expect it is. He may be able to get off the majority of the relaxers, anti inflammatorys, etc, but if it's really bad, to the point of needing a morphine pump, I refused it myself. he'll likely still to be on the opiates, but hopefully to a lessor level if he continues with them at all-it's really a case by case thing. I can't function with the pain levels I have without them. Don't like them but at the same time I don't like being confined to a bed either. If they test him and find marijuana in his system, they may deem him an abuser of illegal substances and refuse to treat further causing a different set of problem. I had a pain management doctor actually tell me he would not treat me even tho I am a state licensed mmj user. I shocked him by telling him I didn't want him to treat me, been there done that, but was required to go through him to see a surgeon.
Bottom line. it will help with secondary pain, ie, nerve, muscle spasams, etc, but the primary source with still remain and will have to be dealt with like it or not. Back pain is one of those things that you can talk about, but unless you have it as bad as he does you'll never understand it.
The hardest part is wrapping your head around the fact that this is the way it's gonna be and how you deal with it is what's gonna either make you or break you.
Purple Kush, Bubba Kush, Killer Queen, LUI , and recently, pre 98 Kali Mist helps me during the day a lot better thatn I thought it would, have helped me more than most I've grown. Sharon Widow at night.
Some strains. like a pheno of Jack Herer that goes around here sometimes, actually makes my back feel like I've been plugged into an electrical outlet and make the muscles spasm uncontrollably. Not a good thing for an already bad situation.
Heavy on the indicas, light on the sativas.
Maybe this has been more info than you asked for but it's my experience with it. My best to you family member. He has a hard road ahead of him.

Last edited:

erbium

julsbagell said:
Bubba,Sour bubble let them both go 70 days orally taken will out do any opiate. Not really that hard my wife did it cold turkey 240 mg morphine a day. If he makes up his mind to do it he can easily with herb and your help, good luck.

Damn, why the hell would you trivialize his situation? Ya know what? 240mg of morphine a day isn't much at all. It would be = 120mg of oxycodone if they didn't put the stuff in the morphine so people can't cook it - only 67 - 80% of the morphine is actually absorbed. There is a reason oxycodone goes for $60 - $80 for an 80mg pill when you can get 180mg of morphine for $15.

Looky, I trivialized your situation. Shitty to do to someone, huh?

You have no idea how long his family has been on it, how much of it, or what they are taking. Damn man, people get hooked on Vicodin and lose everything- they have "House" hooked on it. Hydrocodone is super weak compared to oxycodone but people are born with different amounts of receptors and make naturally smaller or larger amounts than other people. You know the term "runner's high"? Well, that is when over long periods of physical activity a person's body releases a natural opiate-like substance that has the same effect. People's bodies react differently. The brain makes more receptors to collect the opiate as people's doses increase.

When a person is kicking it is from those sensors not getting what they need and sending your body and mind into chaos. That is how they detox people in an hour - they put them under and burn our all the extra sensors to get your brain back to where it has just enough for your body to keep satisfied.

I don't want to be a dick but you have no idea what he and his are going through. He came here for help with a medical problem and to minimalize it seems wrong to me. Very wrong.

Free it!

peacenik

I can really sympathize with your patient, having been addicted to heroin & then methadone. It's not easy coming down & he's so fortunate to have a kind friend. For the most part it doesn't matter what form the opiates are in (pills, liquid, etc) as it has the same effects on the body. Sometimes when people are on pills, it's what's also called a "stomach addiction" as your body is used to processing the drugs through the digestive system.
Before I was able to grow my own, I was in a cooperative. Each week the members would fill out "effectiveness surveys" as to how well each strain worked on symptoms such as pain, nausea, etc. Indica strains were popular with folks with chronic pain & insomnia. I believe you're right in trying indicas to help with his withdrawls. But I think I'd also alternate with the sativas during the day. Keep his mind active, you know? Make some realistic goals for his treatment. Reward him, I know it sounds dumb but you need the encouragement.
You might want to also try tincture, even hash is a big help. It keeps your mind from focusing on the pain. The hardest part is just sleeping through the night, you know? I've known folks who've gone weeks without a real night's sleep while they're detoxing. Remember that it took a long time for him to get to this point so it's also going to take time to break this addiction.Honestly, I would wean him off the meds, don't go cold-turkey as it could lead to bigger problems.
And a little Imodium would be helpful as opiates really constipate you.
Good advice from Resinryder, they know what it's about. You wouldn't believe how many people end up on heroin, methadone clinics have alot of patients can't take the pills any longer. The doctors cut them off, next they're on the streets.
That quick detox uses the drug ibogaine & from what I've heard it's pretty successful. But very hard to find a place that will treat you, but do some research & see.
Our prayers are with you.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
ive heard white rhino is great for medicinal use.. a nice cannabinoid profile.

Gottagrow

I know from personal experience with narc addiction. I use about 80 mg a day of loratab. Since my 2 back surgerys I have not been able to be without them due to the pain. I smoke at night to help me sleep and to relieve pain. Withdrawls are very painful and take about week and a half to end. I would recommend Gabapentin (generic name) this seems to helps calm you down , stops you up and reduces the pain from withdrawl. Its not addictive, but is expensive. good luck

M

Mossad

Just eat the pain, it's a great hallucigen. Opiates rob weed and fasting to go nowhere all the time is just great (even though weed is so much better, tasting most of the time of cared for when grown).

Ya a pump, that is a nasty way to beat nature at living. Never feels good living, just a lot of anger; made at the people who brought us up.

Yes, opiates bring out truths in others; it's not love; the ganja misses the fear vibes where people just run into eachother (trees).

Interesting, so we have larger brains being "drug, chemical" addicts if we can produce new nuerons (also the ability to pass them on to next generations).
I recieved a few to many booze neurons, some kind of single organ the pineal gland refused it (but it's a stranger power, having it picked by another; not choosing your own illusions that are hard to mix).

tobacco, does this patient smoke or use any nicotene plants (never found out about other alkaloids in tobacco, they sure added some funny things in like well glue and paper and such).

I have way to much of the acetylcholine, right next to the muscaria (strange chemical, bio warfare).

Yes, they really evolved us into angry SOB's, what kind of patient is he she mental enough?

sorry for being rude, I am just not all there; some kind of did we die again?

resinryder

Veteran
Gottagrow said:
I would recommend Gabapentin (generic name) this seems to helps calm you down , stops you up and reduces the pain from withdrawl. Its not addictive, but is expensive. good luck

Gabapentin is the generic name for Neurontin. This is a good med for nerve pain. Was originally created for seizures and found to be good for nerve pain. Down side is it fucks with you. Makes you have suicidal thoughts. Shit threw me into a whirlwind mentally. Never had that problem with other meds. A lot of people have actually killed themselves and others while taking this med. Once I realized it was the med causing my problems I learned to get a grip on it and realized it wasn't me. Hope that made some sense. I've been on Neurontin now for about 10 years or so. Really can't function without it as my nerve pain is INTENSE!! It's a good med but you have to be ready for the side effects of it. Most doctors don't tell you about the side effects of this med, but, it is effective. Lyceria is supposed to be a really good med for this situation and replaces Neurontin but most insurance won't pay for it just yet, mine won't. May be worth a try for him.

resinryder

Veteran
Mossad said:
Just eat the pain, it's a great hallucigen. Opiates rob weed and fasting to go nowhere all the time is just great (even though weed is so much better, tasting most of the time of cared for when grown).

Ya a pump, that is a nasty way to beat nature at living. Never feels good living, just a lot of anger; made at the people who brought us up.

Yes, opiates bring out truths in others; it's not love; the ganja misses the fear vibes where people just run into eachother (trees).

Interesting, so we have larger brains being "drug, chemical" addicts if we can produce new nuerons (also the ability to pass them on to next generations).
I recieved a few to many booze neurons, some kind of single organ the pineal gland refused it (but it's a stranger power, having it picked by another; not choosing your own illusions that are hard to mix).

tobacco, does this patient smoke or use any nicotene plants (never found out about other alkaloids in tobacco, they sure added some funny things in like well glue and paper and such).

I have way to much of the acetylcholine, right next to the muscaria (strange chemical, bio warfare).

Yes, they really evolved us into angry SOB's, what kind of patient is he she mental enough?

For the record, I very rarely ever go off on anyone and keep it laid back, go with the flow, don't judge, and could generally care less about what people post, say, or do. But in this case I'm making an exception, so here goes.

JUST EAT THE PAIN????!!!! What a fuckin stupid thing to say. Bump your shin to hard why not cut the leg off...
Really dude, your post offers no advice whatsoever to the topic of the thread. You can't EAT THIS KIND OF PAIN. It fuckin takes over every aspect of your being. Sleeping wrong intensifies it, weather change intensifies it, high humidity intensifies it, moving the wrong way slightly intensifies it, and the list goes on and on of what you can and can't do. I can turn, move the wrong way and immediately fall to the ground where ever I am . It's apparent you don't understand the issue here. I'm personally insulted by your comments. You may be a nice person and have had good intentions, but damn man.
I truly hope you or anyone else never eperiences the kind of pain spoken about in this thread.
I think your last sentence sums it up-

Last edited:

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Eat the pain. Whattadick. I don't have the back pain, but I get brutal ass kicking, whimpering in a heap headaches, so I can relate to the pain level, but not the day to day all day pain. Being that I don't have access/insurance to pain meds, 2 big perc's or 1 'bigboy pain something' will ease the pain just enough to sleep, and a lil sleep can knock out the headache.

I'm a recovering alcoholic, and the desire to stop using (TRUE desire) is 90%+. The rest is 3days of hell then a year or so of routine, coupled with a 're-programming' of your buddy's mind. Life is good on the other side!

Good luck Art. What is the dosage for the 3zips/gallon of canna milk? That is 3z bud n leaf? Do ya simmer it, or let it sit? Shakey-shakey? My buddy had some, but didn't know how the dude made it, and he RAVES about it.

M

medical_shed

Cannabis really helps opiate pain relief to work better, many people can halve their opiate intake without increase in pain using cannabis. There's actually a super-painkiller in development that uses both.

Don't discount sativa doms either as they can be great for pain too just need to try a few different strains.

Good luck with it.

Charg5152

Is your friend physically addicted to opiates (ie getting "dope sick" in the mornings and when he is out of pills. If so, he may need to get some kind of medical help for the first 2-3 weeks (safe medical detox). Granted I don't know your friends condition and I can only speak from my own personal experiences a few years ago. I am a medical marijuana advocate and can honestly say that it does help with restlesness and "jimmy legs" associatted with withdrawal, but he may need more for the real bad stuff that goes on in the first couple weeks(vomiting, diahera, sweating). Marijuana will absolutely help with the later withdrawal symptoms (depression & anxiety). The situation and the amount of care/help a person needs is different for everyone.

from experience....best way to come off opiates is taking Xaboxen sp? or Zeboxan(rx from dr and very expensive but a miracle) and both sativas to help with the depression and fatigue and indicas mixed for the nausea. Hope that helps coming from an old back pt.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
I've been talking to alot of people and I think I'm the answer is not just one thing.

Milk will probably be used in the beggining, when things are worst.

I will always try and have plenty of edibles available to him as well, throughout.

Once he is off everything, hash made from strong indica for pain, and some sativa nugs to smoke for his mental.

Also some butter on standby for any type of spastic episode he may have to knock his ass out.

I think this will work.

I'm finding out exactly what he's on and I'll let you all know... (drug, dosage)

ladyluck

Originally Posted by julsbagell

I cannot get my options to work to wrap txt, add smilies etc...

julsbagell, Your wife was extremely lucky and I find it offensive that you say if he makes up his mind he can do it easily with herb and help. It may not have been hard for your wife but for the majority it is very tough!!
That being said I am glad your wife had an easier road than most and hope she is doing well!

I have also had major spine problems and several surgeries!
I was also on morphine for a long time and chose to try and come off it by myself and it I couldn't do it would go and seek further medical help. Fortunately for me, after several very very tough days I managed to do it.
It was certainly not easy and would probably not do it this way again if ever in the same position.
I now find I can limitly control some but not all of my pain with...
White Russian from serious seeds. It is an indica which in my opinion is better for pain relief. It helps to relax and create better blood flow, thus allowing some pain relief.
By the sound of your cousins injury he may never have total pain relief, as I do not but it is about getting some quality of life back.

Good on you for trying to help him
Good Luck!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depending on the amounts that have been taken, it may be a good idea to "wean" him off the pills. There can be some pretty heavy side effects if he has been taking large dosages.

If he has been you can cut him down to 1/2 the dose he has been taking for the first week, then to a quarter and finally nothing.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
ART - You should look into tinctures too, Smoking Moose has done a lot of work with med grade tinctures, he might be able to offer some insight. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

luciano28

If he is going cold turkey, its gonna be rough man, he is at least gonna need some Blood Pressure meds I think. The shit they gave us in county years ago was called Cattapress, probably not spelled right. But cold turkey is the way to go(with some help like BP meds and valium, lots and lots of Valium), methadone just gets you hooked on methadone, retarded.

For real though if hes a heavy user, weed aint gonna cut it the first 3-5 days.

Good Luck with your cousin Art. If he is ready to quit he probably will. "Sick and tired of being sick and tired"

Oxy's are the devil.

OCD

I have been through all of this (and I am still dealing with it) and let me tell you it will be the hardest thing your friend will ever have to do. Stong herb will help a little but if hes going to go cold turkey off the opiates, it is not going to be anywhere near enough. Even after the initial detox it takes many months if not years to be able to cope with life without the opiates. I would really suggest winging him off the opiates very slowly.Look into taking a medication called Suboxone. It is truly a miracle drug and it saved my life.When you switch frome the pain killers to suboxone there is no withdrawels at all. You will eventually have to stop taking the suboxone and there will be some withdrawels from that but no where near the intensity as the opiates.Everybody is different and Im no doctor but just trying to help.

Latest posts

Latest posts