What's new

cooling a 600 HPS

LifeLess

Veteran
Was wondering if these fans would be able to cool a 600w hps in a aircooled hood. These fans are 100 cfm each. If not what would be the min cfm.

eyes

Veteran
uh,no.good for an intake for a active vent in a very small cab.look at the inline fans like fantech(home depot),solar and pauler fans(very quiet),elicient or vortex(some say these are great but loud.use insulated duct in a duct and duct muffler along with fan isolation chamber),sunleaves inline fan,can fan(also inline).use the search and type in inline fans.

the 600 is gonna put out some serious heat.id go 192 cfm and above for that .theres a thread on different type of fans.axial,inline.mixed vent and there realitive uses and static pressures and ratings.

maryj315

i have a 250 cfm on 2 1000 and when i just had 1 i used a 195 cfm 4 inch vortex.that said if the light is going in a sealed cab and those are 100 cfm apiece try it might work never know my guess is no.

samba

I'd say NO... but if you had the 1 for hood and one for cab and next to a open window and temps REALLY low outside,maybe... But I'd still say no, sorry.
I'd say go for something in the 600m2/h and you'll be good, thats what I use...
600 ((cubic meters) per hour) = 353.146667 (cubic feet) per minute

vortex 6 inch youll be able to have it eight inches from your tops. dont go small and always suck air dont push it through.

ima be blunt dude and say heellll no. i have a 6" vortex to cool my 600, and like buddy said i can get it within 8 or 12" and feel no heat i can touch my cool tube also it's warm not too hot. it could get cooler but i have a filter hooked up also

Gottagrow

Not saying you couldn't use less but I use a 270 cfm pulling air through a CF and my 600 cools very nicely in my tent. Just my 2 cents those little teny tiny fans won't help at all.

skylined

I just hooked an 8 inch honeywell vortex room fan so it blows air right across under the reflector. It works great but also bear in mind I have a very powerful 6 inch inline fan tied to the carbon filter for extraction, I believe it's in the 350-450 cfm range. Honestly though, most efficient is to get a sealed reflector and just air cool it that way. If you don't have the whole air cooling set up though just get a fan or two to blow right under the reflector - just make sure you have good extraction. Oh, btw - those two fans will certainly not be adequate whatsoever for a 600. Best of luck.

BSSF,
~Skylined

LifeLess

Veteran
Thnx for all the replys. Looks like im going with my 465 cfm fan. Really need to be stealthy but what the hell. Thnx again Peace LL

my 6" vortex isnt very loud i have it hooked up this way filter>fan>light also when i need it be @ its quietest i have a speed controller an i put it on low. i just sounds like i have a normal fan going not some high speed jet

samba

Try using a muffler. That will help with sound but it takes up space...
Try doing a search and you'll find some DIY...

jdog12

what if he used one of those fans for intake and one for exhaust of his air cooled hood? the high cfms that those lil fans can pull can be surprising. Would they be enough for a 400 watt? Ive been looking in to how to cool a 400 watt lately. Don't have one, but just trying to get some ideas.

EDIT: Oh damn, 24v, where did you find those?? I haven't seen any 24v ac adapters.

Last edited:

jdog12

straight reggie said:

Wanted to do light ventilation separate from room ventilation and then use a lower cfm fan to pull air from the room out through a carbon filter (i hear it's good to not use too many cfm for your filter as it needs to have time to go through the carbon filtration to effectively do its job (but then again, I've only done one grow in the past with fluorescent lights).

From the looks of that thread, it seems as though the stanley blower allows air to go in through both sides, not just one. This seems like it would make what I said above a bit difficult.

jdog12

straight reggie said:
well your gonna need some power if your gonna suck or pull through a filter and cool your light no? im not fully understanding your setup

Don't have a setup just yet, when I do, I will probably do a micro with CFLs, but want to research HID as I will probably end up going to that in the future anyways.

what i'm saying is for a 400 watt hps i would like a cool tube/air cooled hood with ducting going to opposite sides of the cab. If computer fans would work (you can get 120mm fans pulling 115+ cfm) then one fan sucking air out through the light/ducting and the other fan sucking air in through light/ducting on opposite sides.. that way if one fan dies, at least the other is there to help it. I've heard inline fans are kind of loud, but don't know for sure, I'm just looking at my options.

I would then have a lower CFM (maybe 80cfm) computer fan exhausting air out of the grow cab through a carbon filter. the ventilation for light and grow cab would be completely separate.

Now, from reading the stanley blower mod it seems as though air goes in not one, but both sides of the unit and out through the top(square thing).... if you wanted to do the separate light/room ventilation, how would you set up the stanley blower? Because you could set it up with the ducting to the side of the fan like in the mod and the top pointed outside the cab (and the ducting going to other side of the cab would allow for passive air flow), but wouldn't it still blow out air that came in from the second side? (the one that's not hooked up to ducting)and if this is true, air from grow room would get out without being filtered through carbon filter, and that would be bad.

You understand what I'm getting at?

Last edited:
yeah i got cha, my mind is just working differently. so you would use 3 fans as opposed to my 1. and you rather scrub the air for the entire room as opposed to just the cab. is that correct? iono just seems like more work. like with my cab i have the filter inside of it so the air coming out is carbon scrubbed. or even if you cant fit a filter in the cab you can put it on the outside.

with the stanley it only has an intake on one side not both. and the exhaust is on top. this is how i would set it up because ive one to cool a 400W but did not have a filter @ the time. i had ducting attached to the intake (remember only one side) then got a flange type thing to fit the square exhaust and had ducting on that. with all that attached its pretty damn quiet my friend.

at the moment i just use my stanley to keep fresh air moving in my room. since the air coming out the box is carbon fresh i can keep the door to the room open so the hot air from my 600W doesnt build up

peep my setup minus the ghetto way i raised my plants lmfao. i gotta get more ducting so that i can lower my light. but see my carbon scrubber begind that white fan

jdog12

straight reggie said:
yeah i got cha, my mind is just working differently. so you would use 3 fans as opposed to my 1. and you rather scrub the air for the entire room as opposed to just the cab. is that correct? iono just seems like more work. like with my cab i have the filter inside of it so the air coming out is carbon scrubbed. or even if you cant fit a filter in the cab you can put it on the outside.

with the stanley it only has an intake on one side not both. and the exhaust is on top. this is how i would set it up because ive one to cool a 400W but did not have a filter @ the time. i had ducting attached to the intake (remember only one side) then got a flange type thing to fit the square exhaust and had ducting on that. with all that attached its pretty damn quiet my friend.

at the moment i just use my stanley to keep fresh air moving in my room. since the air coming out the box is carbon fresh i can keep the door to the room open so the hot air from my 600W doesnt build up

peep my setup minus the ghetto way i raised my plants lmfao. i gotta get more ducting so that i can lower my light. but see my carbon scrubber begind that white fan

No, i edited my previous post, because the wording was still a bit confusing.. no fans for the room, just 3 in the grow cab... 2 for intake and exhaust for the light, 1 for exhaust through carbon filter while the intake would be passive.

In the stanley blower mod thread it says:

"this model fan pulls air from separate sides so the one side that has the duct can pull heat from the cool tubes, the open side can be used to remove heat and stale air from the room."

is there a different model that pulls air from just one side? If so, that would be the winner right there... What kinda fan do you have in that picture on the ducting? How bad is the noise on it?

this is the other side of the stanley, it has that lil vent on the bottom and when i put my hand over it i can fell a lil bit of air sucking in and i mean barely. hardly considered an intake if you ask me

i have a vortex 6" fan 449cfm cooling a 600W. like ive said before i have a speed controller on it. and @ its lowest speed it sounds a little bit above the sound your AC makes when its on. the stanley @ high speed by its self makes alot more noise than my vortex with everything hooked up lmao. but for a 400W my fan would be overkill. i just went big initialy cause i always knew i would upgrade my light, feel me? with my light in my cab i manage to keep temps under 85F

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts