What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats wrong with my light!!???

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
Hey all...Ive got a FloraLux 250 watt HPS, enclosed ballast grow light...The bulb had been fine, but all of a sudden, the light wont turn on when the timer kicks in...Ive tried screwin the bulb in & out a bit, but to no avail..Sometimes, if I put the plug in & out of the socket a bunch of times, itll kick on, but no more...Anybody have any electical knowledge?? Any help would be appreciated!!!Thanks all..Peace :rasta: :badday: :joint:

- Z

C

cellardweller

sounds like a loose connection in the ballast box me thinks..
be careful..

PharmaCan

Veteran
Sounds like it could be a problem with the cord end or socket.

First, plug the ballast into a receptacle or extension cord that you know works. If the light works properly, the problem should be in the socket you were using before - the timer socket or receptacle connected to the timer.

To double check this, take any other lamp and plug it into the timer/timed receptacle. See if that lamp works or not. If it doesn't work, you have isolated at least one of your problems.

If the HID light does not turn on when plugged into another source, the problem is probably in your cord end (plug), as that is where it seems to have originated. At this point I'd check the other end of the cord to see if it is getting voltage, but it might be easier for you to just replace the cord end. If you have a meter and the knowledge to open the ballast, you can check the voltage and connections in there. But that really seems a little bit over your head, so try the other things I suggested first and if that doesn't isolate the problem, ask again.

PC

Gottagrow

I have the exact problem with my 250 MH. I think its the bulb but I don't have another 250 to check it out. I do have a 400 mh but I don't want to risk the bulb or the ballast. Do you see any sparks inside the bulb? Mine has a small blue spark that just stays on till I play with the bulb and get it to fire. On the check it with a meter I wouldn't I shorted out my very expensive automotive meter. The voltage coming from the ballast is way above the 600 volts max.

PharmaCan

Veteran
Gottagrow said:
I have the exact problem with my 250 MH. I think its the bulb but I don't have another 250 to check it out. I do have a 400 mh but I don't want to risk the bulb or the ballast. Do you see any sparks inside the bulb? Mine has a small blue spark that just stays on till I play with the bulb and get it to fire. On the check it with a meter I wouldn't I shorted out my very expensive automotive meter. The voltage coming from the ballast is way above the 600 volts max.

I was referring, of course, to checking the line voltage at the end of the power cord. I should think this would be fairly obvious as we are discussing a possible problem with the cord. 120v/240v isn't going to fry any meter. A prudent person would check the rated output of the ballast and make sure their meter will handle it before frying their meter. I dunno - I've always found a minute or two of reading to be much easier than working to earn money to buy a new meter.

...but to each his/her own.

PC

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
try unscrewing and recrewing in the bulb. make sure its tight and free of oil??
sorry man. hope u figure it out.

CDM

sounds like the starter cap is going out. the cap gives a little extra boost to get it going