What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ordering Grow Lights Online

Ajunta Pall

I was considering expanding my grow, and that means more lights. The cost at my local growstore would be almost double of what I've seen online, and that includes the shipping. My question is has anyone ordered oh say... anywhere between 4-6 lights (whole systems) at once and had them shipped without incident?

del...

exactly, mr thumb gave some excellent advice! unless you are licensed to use/grow in your state anonyminity is a must...and even IF you've been legalized i still suggest remaining under their radar. there was a time not all that long ago when it'd be cool to order from say...discount hydro...but it's just too much risk nowadays what with LEO getting hip to our ways and too many of us getting lazy with our personal security...

many people used to close their posts with a reminder...BSSF (be safe stay free).

good luck

Ajunta Pall

I wasn't planning on shipping them to my grow, because I'm way too paranoid for that. I've also thought of ordering from two or three places, but wonder if recieving too many packages from hydro stores will tip off the delivery man. Or would one large shipment, as conspicuous as it maybe, be less of a risk.

I'm not worried about getting things sent to my house, because where I live is spotless. All grow relate things are at grow location. But still, I would rather not garner any undue attention.

Y

yamaha_1fan

I ordered all 9 lights from one source in one shot. They came in brown boxes and nobody knew anything.

del...

and ordering that many together so close in time just might tip off the delivery person too. can't you order just one or two at a time and gradually build your room over a few months? it's the middle of summer anyways and that many lights going at once calls for some serious air conditioning!

casualtoker

man you guys are way too paranoid. I order from online hydroponics stores all the time. It's not illegal to buy or own hydro gear, nobody cares. LEO has much better avenues for tracking illegal grow ops.

Last edited:

skylined

Perhaps, perhaps not. Why take ANY un-necessary risks EVER though? Use money order, alias, and a safe house. Don't even take the gear outta the safe house the same week it gets delivered...this way you can make sure all is clean before you move it to your grow location. Best of luck, stay safe.

Peace,
~Skylined

Gottagrow

I would order maybe 1 or 2 at a time but owning a lights or any hydroponics products is NOT illegal and no judge would give a cop the time of day if he went in for a warrent with ( AHHH hes been buying grow lights) and even if they did any good lawyer could destroy that warrent. I order almost all my products online have for years but I also grow tomatos, lettuce and few other plants. Only things I dont get are too heavy to ship so I get those locally. Now on the other side of that coin if you are going to be running that many lights electrial use is going to be your problem. I don't know if electrial companies are in with the cops. I wish you all the good greens you can grow though and be safe.

Last edited:
J

jaw

use as much power as you like. just pay your bill. worry about getting caught from other angles, your girlfriend, your neighbors, the guy your selling too, the stank comming from your home. i would imagine the police need a search warrant to see your electric usage.

CaptainTrips

skylined said:
Perhaps, perhaps not. Why take ANY un-necessary risks EVER though? Use money order, alias, and a safe house. Don't even take the gear outta the safe house the same week it gets delivered...this way you can make sure all is clean before you move it to your grow location. Best of luck, stay safe.

Peace,
~Skylined

Well, getting hydro/grow equipment shipped to your place is a neccessary risk for some. A very low risk, for the most part.

casualtoker said:
man you guys are way too paranoid. I order from online hydroponics stores all the time. It's not illegal to buy or own hydro gear, nobody cares. LEO has much better avenues for tracking illegal grow ops.

I totally agree I'm in the same boat Cheaper Online then the local Hydro Shops!!!!!!

I Ordered 4 light and a lot of other Items thank god w/o issue!!!

Good Luck GL1

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
However you rationalize it always remember one thing and really the only thing that counts.. You cant undo a paper trail.

vta

Veteran
Verite said:
However you rationalize it always remember one thing and really the only thing that counts.. You cant undo a paper trail.

So very true! Thats why people should use those gift credit cards. You can get them at most check cashing places and can usually put up to $1000 on it.

CaptainTrips

CC gift cards require activation... I don't know all the details, but I just don't see the point. Might as well just go the whole nine yards and send cash/mo if you are that paranoid. And shipping itself, regardless of payment method, creates a paper trail.

vta

Veteran
CaptainTrips said:
CC gift cards require activation... I don't know all the details, but I just don't see the point. Might as well just go the whole nine yards and send cash/mo if you are that paranoid. And shipping itself, regardless of payment method, creates a paper trail.

Well the ones I get are Visa, up to $1000 and it is activated when they hand it to me. So for me the point is not having to use my credit card. Besides what if you have to activte it??? You call the 800 number on the card, enter the card info and its activated, so I dont see that as a problem. I also ship to a safe address. I also think that your idea of sending cash is not a good one.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I bought my fixtures, bulbs, and ballasts from an aquarium supply store online. For example, check out Champion Lighting. These stores typically don't carry HPS, but do have MH and CFL supplies.

CaptainTrips

vta said:
Well the ones I get are Visa, up to $1000 and it is activated when they hand it to me. So for me the point is not having to use my credit card. Besides what if you have to activte it??? You call the 800 number on the card, enter the card info and its activated, so I dont see that as a problem. I also ship to a safe address. I also think that your idea of sending cash is not a good one.

I wouldn't send cash.. some do. Others send money orders. As for a visa card, this presumable has to be registered to an address, otherwise most vendors won't accept it (address verification). If you don't have a safe address I dont see there being much diff. between using a gift card and a real cc.

casualtoker

Verite said:
You cant undo a paper trail.
True, but to subpoena that paper trail means they already have other evidence against you. Buying hydroponics gear online isn't going to get you busted, growing pot and getting rolled on will.

CaptainTrips said:
I wouldn't send cash.. some do. Others send money orders. As for a visa card, this presumable has to be registered to an address, otherwise most vendors won't accept it (address verification). If you don't have a safe address I dont see there being much diff. between using a gift card and a real cc.

hey man, it's the 21st century.
There are 12 million illegal aliens in this country.
There are a lot of grey areas to exploit if you look around.

The gift cards are activated over the phone , just by punching a number into the phone, for internet purchases, you have to go to the issuer's web site and enter the card number, a name and a zip code.

There are versions of browsers available that run off of a USB thumb drive, and don't use the hard drive (at the cyber cafe/library) at all.

JFGI.