What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool Growers thead

steveoi812

This thread is for the discussion of the ins and outs of growing with rockwool as the medium, slabs, cubes, buckets drips and everything in between.

Show us whatcha got and telk us how you got there!

Rockwool growers unite!!!!

yohomz

Yea, my pH fluctuates more with the rockwool than it did with hydroton, but the rockwool definitely keeps the plants way more sturdy. This is the first run that I've used rockwool for flowering (I use it for cuttings all the time). My setup is an ebb & flow 3'x3' tray with rockwool slabs on the bottom and 4" cubes on the top. Seems to be working great so far...

yohomz

hmmm the largest flux... I think it's gone from 5.8 to 6 or 6.1 in 24 hours, which plants don't necessarily like, but I keep it under control and they are growing very rapidly.

steveoi812

Thats not too bad right? I mean thats within the proper parameters right? Or is it 5.8 to 6.0? Is that too much of a fluxuation...

yohomz

Any flux really isn't good, but it is bound to happen and it's important to keep it in check. The optimum pH for hydro is between 5.5 and 6.2. I like to keep mine between 5.6 and 5.8.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
the thing with rockwool is it has its own rules and needs, like IT IS important to pre soak and co0ndition in nutes around ph5.3 prior to use, and IT IS important to flush at least every 10 days to begin with, and maybe every 3-4 days in late bloom.... im talking about slabs and large cubes, not using them as a starter for other systems, but even then ur cubes need conditioning.... it makes me laugh when pplsay "oooh rockwool, i have to keep flushing for some reason theres a problem" but its not, flushing rockwool is standard operating procedure.....
cultilene and grodan websites have a lot of good info of correct treatment of rockwool

G

Harry Gypsna said:
IT IS important to flush at least every 10 days to begin with, and maybe every 3-4 days in late bloom.... im talking about slabs and large cubes, not using them as a starter for other systems, but even then ur cubes need conditioning.
Ooooops...the person that set me up never mentioned anything about regular flushing. I use slabs and if I use a tank of fresh pH adjusted water the EC will shoot right back up as the nutes retained in the slabs will get washed out initially then fed right back in as the flush continues. Are you talking about using something like Clearex?

Any flux really isn't good
It depends on how much it fluctuates. I like to see a little drift and do try to stay between 5.6 and 5.8 but I don't have any 'problem' with pH flux as mine is very stable. I use GH 3 part with Diamond Nectar and Kool Bloom to finish and can go through half a 110 gal res and my EC and pH are VERY stable. I just had to figure out what nute strength worked best. I do the initial slab soak in low pH water. I don't understand what people are talking about with pH problems and rockwool but am guessing it maybe has more to do with water quality and the types of nutes used.

Like Harry Gypsna said
the thing with rockwool is it has its own rules and needs
It's that simple.

yohomz

I flush every week with clearex. Every medium has its own rules and needs.

Last edited:

paulobaca

RW

RW

Im just a green horn but I only water my Rw 4 inch cubes everyother day. If I water them everyday my plants suffer and some are almost 2 months, more than 2 ft and they still only need water everyother day. It's almost as slow to dry as soil. I keep my cab at 70-76 F at 50-60% humidity. I've read things that say you should flood rock wool several times a day but my babies would certainly be dead if I did this.
Is flushing a slab difficult? I read from a dutch grower who doesnt use slabs for this reason.

G

paulobaca said:
Im just a green horn but I only water my Rw 4 inch cubes everyother day. If I water them everyday my plants suffer and some are almost 2 months, more than 2 ft and they still only need water everyother day. It's almost as slow to dry as soil. I keep my cab at 70-76 F at 50-60% humidity. I've read things that say you should flood rock wool several times a day but my babies would certainly be dead if I did this.
Is flushing a slab difficult? I read from a dutch grower who doesnt use slabs for this reason.
I water 4x a day 30 minutes each feeding and they just flourish. As for the soil thing it's a totally different ball game. Sure you want a good wet/dry cycle type thing in soil but not rockwool. What do you mean by flushing? There's different interpretations of what that is. Do you mean when you're almost done flowering and you want the nutes out?

paulobaca

Yeah I believe you mountain but Im not sure what Im doing wrong. Still most are doing well and Im going to slowly start feeding more and more.
Really confused bout this.

G

I water mothers every day, just enough to get some drainage, and when doing starts in 3" cubes water every other day early on to keep the cubes a little drier to drive the roots down faster and harder only watering the bottom portion of the cube in a flood and drain tray. Seems I get big fat roots coming out of the cubes this way. Once I put the cubes on the slabs I top water the cubes twice a day for about 5 days and only water the slabs twice a day just to keep them fresh and wet until the roots dig in then I go 4x a day in the slabs.

paulobaca

RW trouble

RW trouble

Mountain said:
I water 4x a day 30 minutes each feeding and they just flourish. As for the soil thing it's a totally different ball game. Sure you want a good wet/dry cycle type thing in soil but not rockwool. What do you mean by flushing? There's different interpretations of what that is. Do you mean when you're almost done flowering and you want the nutes out?

When I flush I use a tap/ro mix with cleerix (misspelled?) to get rid of the salt build up. I was flushing everyother feeding but now Im cutting back.

First time perpetual garden and started out in 4 inch rw cubes but now I'm putting all my girls 1 foot or taller in pots with broken up RW topped with hydroton and hand watering.

They seem to be doing really well except my 3 OGs that grew really fast and were doing well now seem to be suffering. I think that they were being underfed while my other girls (lil smaller ones- sour kush, pur erk, buba kush) were doing fine which is why I put em in pots so I can customize feeding.(the over watering comments early in early post goes back to when these girls were smaller and I almost killed em- so yeah mountain you're right). I'm gonna to increasewatering/feeding with less frequent flushing and increase the PPMs to 900-1000 because maybe these bigger og girls are starving for nutes. Also I think my other mid veggies and early 12/12'ers are ready for this. I was hand watering everyother day but I will increase to everyday with flushing once a week. Ive fed the sick 12/12 OG 2 days of veg 5-1-3.5 formula since I though it could be N deficnt. I will give one more day of veg form today and switch back to blossom. Of course the sick OG veggers are getting 900-1000 ppm veg formula at 5.85 PH.

Any suggestions? I really suck and could use help. Underwatering or over? Iron defcnt?
Roots look white and fine. 3 weeks ago this girl was fine.

This one in 12/12 and i was thinking of throwing it back into veg. Now Im thinking thats a bad idea. I should just try to repair and stick it out.

This another clone from the same plant but kept in under 24 and suffering the same symptoms.

This one is from a few weeks ago in veg. Looked much better.

G

I was flushing everyother feeding but now Im cutting back.
I have usually gone through an entire cycle once I put the cubes on the slabs without any flush at all and got close to 1 lb per 600...and the final smoke was awesome. Flushing like you've done is ill advised. I have very sweet water that comes out of the tap, no treatments, with a low EC of about 115 and pH of about 6.3 but a tad high with the calcium but still no problems. I use a GH program given by a commercial grower and only adjust EC at various stages of growth strain-to-strain.

Why are you breaking up rockwool then topping with hydroton? Just buy bags of the mini rockwool cubes. Hand watering is fine but once they get going I really recommend watering 4x daily. One problem you'll have if only watering every other is in the root zone the EC will increase as the plant pulls the moisture out but not the nutes. pH will also fluctuate badly. Hardy plants/genetics can take a regimen like this just fine though. I've seen someone get away, actually do quite well, with once a day hand waterings but a good runoff each feeding is recommended. Keep the root zone fresh especially as the plants get older cause those bigger girls have hungry appetites and you'll see some major root zone fluctuations by such infrequent waterings.

For one you need to stop thinking about the drainage 'problems' with rockwool. Too dry is no good, too many feed cycles is no good.

Got a friend who grows OG indoors and they're a bit finicky the way he does it. His outdoor OG's are flourishing though.

Last edited:

paulobaca

Hear ya

Hear ya

Thainks for the tips. Im feeding more now. twice a day because of my work schedule. I bought some broken up rw but I have a bunch of extra cubes and ran out of broken rw so I just mashed and cut some. Mountain do you cut back watering during 12/12 or still go 4x a day? Can you post your gh formula/schedule? Any other pple w/rw experience?

G

Mountain do you cut back watering during 12/12 or still go 4x a day?
It's always 4x per day 30 min per once in the slabs veg or bloom. I'm hella busy but will post the GH formula/schedule I use. You really can't go wrong with it.

Latest posts

Latest posts