What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips

sunnyside

Plant Manager
Veteran
Often times its not the actual active ingredient that makes a product certifiable or not.

Your right tf...neem oil in itself is as natural as they come. There are a lot of neem products that have other ingredients added to make the neem work better or to stay emulsified etc. Those ingredients are what would make it not organic.

Last edited:

Sin Humo

There are a couple of active ingredients in Neem oil and whilst they've been used for thousands of years medicinally with no ill effect, does anyone know if they are ok when heated via a smoking method and ingested?
Still not found any Spinosad based products in the Uk - has anyone else?

BonsaiBud

OK YOU CAN DIE NOW THRIPS!
Turns out I've had these things for months. The probably stunted my Lowryder#2s.
I just saw them on the bagseed soil the other day and went right out today and got a bottle of spinosid for $10 bucks. I took the girls out of the box and sprayed them down good in my bathtub/shower. Next was the houseplants. A couple were obviously infested but I'm gonna get every plant in my house. Once the Bagseed dry I'll do my Satori. I haven't seen them...but I know how to bring them out: take veging plant out and spray well with water. Put it back in the box with the lights off for about 10 minutes, flick the lights on and watch em scramble for cover across the soil. That is how I spotted the infestation on my bagseed.

Thanks.

BonsaiBud

No, I have symphilids. I hope spinosad will kill em. It says it kills caterpillars and that is what these are. Small, white, move like caterpillars, have antenae, come up for waterings, about 1/20 inch long. Tobacco juice makes em jump, but I guess I never used enough. Guess I need to chew more:(
I mixed spinosad solution at 1/2 oz per quart and gave the plants a good watering. One major problem is that I have too much soil and not enough plant and so the soil stays moist too long. Anyway, I am out of denial and hitting these pests with everything that will possibly kill them. I hope to have healthy plants again soon. They are persisting with reveg. I just can't wait until the roots reach the bottom of the buckets.

G

Hmm...it seems I don't have Thrips but I might have spider mites. I have small holes. It might be light burn even. I'm going to take pics.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wing of Thrip

Wing of Thrip

Thrip wing stuck to my Menage-A-Blue...didn't see it when I shot the image..but found it in later processing of the macro..I had the bastards but the fly paper rolls helped me bunches....DD

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
PROPS for this thread, I wouldnt know what ta do if it wasnt for yall!
Heres a pic of the bottle I got, just ta contribute sumfa for all the help!
PICT0029-1.jpg

-YadadIGETMO-

S

split kooks

Spinosad is THE shit guys!
$28 for a quart of concentrate,
or $99 for a gallon..

by far the best investment IVE EVER MADE in gardening

Last edited:

Patsheba

I was looking for a pic in the caterpillar stage?

Or for this critter is that larvae stage?

It seems like everytime I get one bug under control, someone invents a whole new pest ...

Have found 2 new to us catepillars so far (outside) in the last week...

so this stuff should definatly kill them? have had a buddy begging me to find a way to kill his thrips lol. i never knew cuz i never had anything but mites.

CONSERVE- NATURALYTE Insect control by Southern Ag, containing 0.5% Spinosad in the Half-Pint (8 ounce) bottle. We also stock the 16 ounce, Pint size here in our eBay store!

USE ON: Vegetables, Ornamentals, Fruit Trees

CONTROLS: Fire Ants, Caterpillars, Worms, Leafminers, Leafrollers, Thrips, Gall Midges, Leaf-feeding Beetles, Fruit Flies, Colorado Potato Beetle, Corn Earworm.

RATE: Spray at 2 ounces per gallon of spray or drench at 2 ounces per gallon on Fire Ant Mounds.

APPLICATION: Mix with water and use as a thorough cover spray.

Last edited:

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll definitely chime in on the :yes: as well for the Spinosad. I've used it, and using it right now in flower and have never had any issues with taste.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
kokua thanks for the link and info...may I add my Fungus Gnat for ID..this is a fungus gnat although the file name is thrip...still a pest.....DD

Last edited:

del...

well, now i know what's been attacking my outdoor plants for the past couple of months! i suspected it was thrips but being that this is my 1st experience with these buggers i wasn't sure until seeing the pics of the critters and the damage they cause.

great info all...thanks much!

and now it's time to declare war on thrips...i'll be using a pyrethium pump spray concentrating on the bottom-side of the leaves.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
del...-forget about the pyrethium. Won't do it on the thrips. Do a search for Monterey Garden Insect Spray. It's got the Spinosad in it that will kill them. Spray 3 times or so, once every couple of days to get the adults, larvae, and new hatches. I tried a pytherium based spray and no results.

sarek

My expeience with Spinosad it that its GREATDoo all the other stuff y need to do, garbage out, clean asses, other plants? Do ya need em?

Read aout it and understad its use. Sorta fun

Latest posts

Latest posts