What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hemp is early flowering?

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
So, I just saw a European agricultural legal grow, for CBD and seeds, iirc. They were harvested a week ago and I wonder, are all these hemp varieties that early?

burningfire

Veteran
no. hemp is like cannabis, it is cannabis, they are bred for multiple purposes.. fiber plants are towering plants that don't need to flower so it would make sense to have long season plants.. the opposite is true for seed plants.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hemp is harvested for the stalks, not the flowers, so it doesn't matter when the flowers finish.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Hemp can have a wide range of flowering characteristics, including short-day/auto/super-auto, flowering quickly or slowly. If you can have a look at Etienne Dr Meijer's 'Diversity in Cannabis' for a more detailed breakdown than you probably want.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
I don’t know if the available hemp seeds in Europe are distinguished between seed-, fiber- and flower strains. I tend to believe that's not the case. The farmer has probably just taken a thc low legal strain and is letting them flower and pollinate. The pics show big 4 meter plants with buds and seeds.

burningfire

Veteran
There's some rather famous varieties.. I don't know enough about the current market to know if they've been marketing a CBD rich variety.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I don’t know if the available hemp seeds in Europe are distinguished between seed-, fiber- and flower strains. I tend to believe that's not the case. The farmer has probably just taken a thc low legal strain and is letting them flower and pollinate. The pics show big 4 meter plants with buds and seeds.

In the EU they mostly grow EU subsidy approved varieties because subsidies are the life-blood of farming in the EU. Futura and Finola are the two EU Subsidised varieties I've seen used in the UK for CBD, often then produce as much THC as CBD though because they weren't bred for that purpose. You should look at Only Ornamental's thread as he is the expert around ICMag IMO
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=337523

If you want an in depth look Ivan Bocsa's Industrial Hemp goes into many varieties in specific detail including and he also talks about how Hungary optimized yield by moving away from "double use" (seed and fibre) varieties to instead using separate varieties for those purposes as in practice no hungarian farmers harvested both from one crop. You can also find a few other sources from/about his work if you have a quick google.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
In the EU they mostly grow EU subsidy approved varieties because subsidies are the life-blood of farming in the EU. Futura and Finola are the two EU Subsidised varieties I've seen used in the UK for CBD, often then produce as much THC as CBD though because they weren't bred for that purpose. You should look at Only Ornamental's thread as he is the expert around ICMag IMO
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=337523

If you want an in depth look Ivan Bocsa's Industrial Hemp goes into many varieties in specific detail including and he also talks about how Hungary optimized yield by moving away from "double use" (seed and fibre) varieties to instead using separate varieties for those purposes as in practice no hungarian farmers harvested both from one crop. You can also find a few other sources from/about his work if you have a quick google.

The farmer just replied to my inquiry. It is FINOLA. A finnish breed for short seasons and good for harvesting seeds because it's not too tall. They are harvesting flowers and leaves as early as July for tea and August till September for seeds. Sounds to me like a better starting point for outdoor breeding than the Lowryder stuff. It gets around 2 meters tall and has up to 5 % CBD and under 1 % THC.

burningfire

Veteran
The farmer just replied to my inquiry. It is FINOLA. A finnish breed for short seasons and good for harvesting seeds because it's not too tall. They are harvesting flowers and leaves as early as July for tea and August till September for seeds. Sounds to me like a better starting point for outdoor breeding than the Lowryder stuff. It gets around 2 meters tall and has up to 5 % CBD and under 1 % THC.

If it's hemp you want to grow, maybe.. otherwise if you want good CBD CBD/THC plants you should look into the Lebanese seeds and other short stature middle eastern hashplants, those things are superfast and will produce more cannabinoids

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lebanese is a fairly early plant as well. Probably finishing, for bud, in a similar time frame as FINOLA, for seed.
The 2 I grew finished mid Sept and beginning of Oct and they had some exotic flavors.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Ok thanks, will look into the Lebanese and HP. Any specific ones? Just may add we're talking about 50+... °N.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
So, I just saw a European agricultural legal grow, for CBD and seeds, iirc. They were harvested a week ago and I wonder, are all these hemp varieties that early?

Varieties like Fedora 17, Felina 32, Finola, Beniko etc are pretty early, but some Hungarian varieties like Tiborszallassi, Kompolti, Tisza or Italian like CS , Carmagnola too are pretty late.

paper thorn

Veteran
my friend has a hemp farm in AZ with a big greenhouse full of Spectrum 303 that is huge with 2 more months of veg coming. they're going to be monsters. hopefully it's good for smokable hemp.

Latest posts

Latest posts