What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can changing light sources mid veg affect anything?

Guitarofozz

I had one hps light which I used in my tent to keep plants in 12/12. I had a veg room that was lit with a T5 with some cfls for supplemental light. Well I came across a buddy getting rid of an hps light so I grabbed it. Changes the T5 and cfls out from the veg room and hung up the hps. Other than explosive growth, I see no problems. Had to make some changes for air cooling the light and for the heat of the light itself compared to a t5.

I then took the t5 and made a little cloning station.

So now:
1000w HPS air cooled in 4x4 tent for budding.
Closet is all panda film lined and has a 600w HPS air cooled
Cloning station with 2', 4 tube t5 panel and a humidifier.

WelderDan

Veteran
I always vegged with floro shop lights and switched over to MH or HPS for a couple weeks after they were big enough to take the extra intensity then flipped.

Slabs

The only difference will be your electricity bill especially if youre running that extra HPS 18-24 hours a day. But hell, if you can swing it then swing it brotha! Best of luck!

Slabs

thinking more on it, a 600w isn't much more than running t5s. choose to ignore my warnings I may have smoked before this lol!

DeMonet

Yep, explosive growth should be the only difference! Enjoy having sturdier, bigger plants with not so much spindly to them.

Good luck!