What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Set up questions for 3x3x6 tent grow w/ 600 watt HPS

afman916

So I'm gearing up for my first grow and things are starting to fall into place. Seeds have arrived, tent and lighting procured, soil decided upon, just have to make one more Amazon order and then I should be good to go - well, as soon as I clear up a few lingering questions I have. That's where I'm hoping ya'll can help out!

Salient points: 3x3x6 tent, air cooled 600 watt HPS and MH, 6" inline fan and scrubber, 5 gallon smart pots, BAS soil (their kit along with the recommended base soil), various compost teas along the way. Strains are White Widow Skunk, OG Kush, Blue Dream, THC Snow, and Mazaar. All but Mazaar are fem.

Here are my main questions:

How many 5 gallon smart pots do you think I could get away with? I'd love to do 5, so I can grow one of each strain, but not sure if I'll run into space issues.

Somewhat related to the above - how long should I veg? Been reading a lot about veg and it's relation to yield, but honestly for my first grow I'm not looking to crush it on yield. If I end up with 6 zips or so I'll be happy. I've got a garden stand and am thinking about vegging under four 32watt T8s initially, for cost and convenience reasons. Also, planning on trying my hand at training of some sort (LST, manifolding) in an attempt to manage size and yield.

Any and all thoughts GREATLY appreciated! Really looking forward to getting started.