What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If I want Pylon can I go cheap on Phantom?

heatherlonglee

From what I can see they seem to be the same product? Different prices and licenses? Any ideas or experience interchanging the two? I was thinking buy the Phantom follow the label directions from Pylon?

heatherlonglee

Thanks for the reply but yeah those aren't options for me. No thanks on smelly sulfur, who knows what the neighbors would say about that lol. Heat treatments, just not an option. Essential oils, I want them all dead. Pfr97 sounds interesting but trying to stay away from any product that says respirator needed on label; also pfr97 say on label to keep refrigerated (40-50f) for storage. No way thats going in my fridge!

heatherlonglee

I'm just using my own personal rational here; but this is how it goes. If the label says no respirator needed (though I may think this is foolish with larger plant# and size), and the label also says for fruiting vegetables, I'm not that scared of using it on a veg plant. If the chemical doesn't come with a need for respirator and is for vegetables or fruits I'm pretty ok with that in veg. For myself smoking weed for many years it's pretty obvious I've gotten plenty of insecticide exposure. Basically all long term commercial marijuana smokers have been exposed to plenty of crazy stuff. Something, anything possible would be linked by now in my opinion to long term weed smokers if insecticide in buds was a huge deal. Plenty of people have tried to find negative long term effects from weed, seems to me the insecticide use should have already given these people a huge door to find some long term problems to blame on weed. The problems could be from the insecticides used then easy blamed on weed by the propagandist's. It just hasn't happened, to me the risk seems very low. So yeah are they the same stuff, Pylon and Phantom?

heatherlonglee

How does that Sulfur and Essential Oils work together for you? Waiting the recommended 14-21 days? You ever tried this? Labels seem to say they don't mix? I would like the mites dead in veg; and soon, still figuring that out admittedly. Don't think that pfr97 stuff you recommended isn't some funky monkey type stuff, if it says respirator needed just to handle it. If you've infected some refrigerators with that stuff you better mark them with something clearly! lol
Infected food storage refrigerators from your house would scare me more honestly. Than this stuff your flaming for veg plants.

Seems pretty crazy to base your choices on the respirator requirement..

Bio insecticides like the pfr or ogbiowar have to cover their ass because of the rare chance they could infect your lungs if you have immune issues

Seriously, don't poison your mess on a whim! Chems have their place, but non toxic options like those mentioned / rosemary oil / mighty wash work very well

heatherlonglee

So only pfr and ogbiowar cover their asses? I'm supposed to take your word on this as fact? lol haha funny
It's seems pretty logical all pesticides companies/businesses work in the manner you describe.
I don't know much about the ogbiowar but from what I see on the web page looks like it could contain some stuff not listed? Are we sure ogbiowar is only what it says? Oh actually it doesn't say ingredients? You can keep using that! lol

heatherlonglee

Dude it says respirator not because it's to cover an ass; it says respirator because you need one. That is obvious and follows logic! Hopefully even you can understand that?

I was giving examples of BIO insecticides, as in living organisms capable of infecting your lungs.

Obviously this consideration doesn't apply to Chems in the same way.

Please don't use a respirator with your pylon. I'm pulling for Darwin on this one.

heatherlonglee

You seemed to suggest that a respirator wasn't needed because it was only a "rare chance" that it would harm you, "because of the rare chance they could infect your lungs if you have immune issues". Now also in your opinion these products are "capable of infecting your lungs". If it says respirator needed you better be using one. I'm unclear if you understand that? You come in spouting off about "rare" and "capable" just because they're Bio insecticides. If the label says respirator needed it's for a damn good reason! Not for reasons like capable and rare!

Care to comment on what ogbiowar really is? Looks like a company selling to weed growers quiet possibly doing whatever they want? Definitely seen that before in this industry; looks like same old smoke and mirrors to me? I think if it's a legit company and legit product it says whats inside? Not on the web site? It's pricey enough in my opinion to also contain something else. I'm supposed to feel safe using that?

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Three points--

First, Phantom does include this caveat: "DO NOT treat within a distance of one foot out from the drip line of edible plants."

Second, although the active ingredients are the same (21.45% Chlorfenapyr), the inert ingredients (the other 78.55%) are probably different. Not all inert ingredients are the same and vary in application for usage on tobacco and/or food crops.

Example, pyrethrin can be expensive (Evergreen $60/pint) and it also can be affordable (Riptide $100/half gallon)...both contain 5% pyrethrin (same active ingredient), both can be used near food plants/products, but Riptide contains PBO (non organic synergist that enhances pyrethrin effectiveness) and is a water based insecticide designed to be used on Ultra Low Volume foggers and misting systems. My pesticide dollars are spent on Riptide...not Evergreen, half price for basically the same amount of the active ingredient labeled to be used around food products.

Third, please investigate "half-life" information on your poisons. This particular product seems to measure half-life in "years" and "hundreds of days". There are other poisons that measure their half-life in "days"--those are the ones I would investigate...if I were to go the nuclear route.

And...Merry Christmas!

heatherlonglee

Spider Mites is the enemy though cross resistance to other common cannabis pests is preferred as I brought in a few infected clones that had plenty of problems. I had gotten pest free clones a few go rounds and started to think all the hype about bringing in outside plants being BS. lol Even worse is that when I got the clones I even thought that they looked like they had been kept outside. Not really considering the great/guaranteed possibility for more than one kind of pest. Only Spider Mites, Two spotter or similar found, but I'm no expert on identifying. I thought I saw a few days of Cyclem Mite damage 3 weeks back but not much to see since that could be blamed on them. Soil bound pest dependent on moisture should be kept at bay by my watering style, and that I grow in Pro Mix HP.

Pretty sure the infected clones had some kind of soil bound bugs, sadly I just through out the infected clones immediately didn't even bother to look. I doubt I have any other bugs at this point. I've hit them with Azadarachtin and Green Cleaner for about a month. Cyclem Mites or return of Spider Mites at this point would be my main fear that may arise after going into flower being a long stretch without any way to stop the mites. Not willing to consider spraying flowering plants with anything. Either I go into flower and never need any insecticide organic or chemical; or I kill the plants, bomb and start over. Plants look decent at this point but still may need nuclear options. Kind of feel like now that they're looking healthy clip them down smaller; then nuke them.

I have learned a ton about what a sick plant with insect problems looks like.
This posts thoughts seem out of order a bit. Sorry friends, enjoy!

Last edited:

HillMizer

The respirator bit is hilarious. Maybe I should go 'dro because I wouldn't need the respirator for 'tillin.

Stev3

Dated paper work posted in link, seems to suggest Pylon and Phantom same stuff. The quote (speaking about Phantom)below is found twice in the link.

"The formulated end product was previously reviewed under the name Pylon Miticide-Insecticide ..."

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/cadusafos-cyromazine/chlorfenapyr/chlorfenapyr.pdf

Pylon 8 oz contains .125 lbs of active ingredient

Phantom 1 Gal is 2 lbs of active ingredient

The math adds up to the same exact thing.....why is the price so different?

Latest posts

Latest posts