What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Problem.. Rotten Smelling DWC RES but NO SLIME!

NW Wheeze

What queequeg152 said x100.

I was too lazy to get all science-y with it. But I think I will buy a test kit, that way I can give hard data instead of anecdotal "this works for me" data.

I would like to know what would be a good "benchmark" kit? An 'industry standard' type kit, maybe that exists?

queequeg152

Veteran
What queequeg152 said x100.

I was too lazy to get all science-y with it. But I think I will buy a test kit, that way I can give hard data instead of anecdotal "this works for me" data.

I would like to know what would be a good "benchmark" kit? An 'industry standard' type kit, maybe that exists?

hm. no such "kit" exists as far as i know. i know what you are saying tho. like a standard testing procedure backed up by the EPA or some such thing.

the taylor reagent kits are the most popular kits with the pool folks. the reagents are all replaceable... the instructions are heavily waterproofed, its just a nice put together kit. the one i used and still use for years now is the 2006. its like 70 bucks new maby more now... but you dont need 90% of what it includes. hadness reagents, cyanuric acid, acid demand and ph testers etc.

DPD based reagents are the standard means to test chlorine. there ARE standards for particular applications like in waste water treatment systems. but this is usually with respect to equipment specifications. i cannot comment on other industries, as water and waste water treatment are the only ones i have firsthand experience with.

HAACH and other companies provide colorimetric chlorine analyzers and all sorts of expensive fun equipment for that task. far and away over kill for this task. if you want steady state chlorine dosing, just get a solenoid pump. hell even a syringe pump would work.

there are some other means to monitor chlorine levels, such as the ampeometric sensors(ORP), but they are problematic for a number of reasons. also expensive, and more suited for online monitoring of a critical process like an aeration basin or lagoon or some such thing.

TLDR

just get that kit i linked. taylor products are pretty much the standard the whole pool community recommends.

NW Wheeze

Dang queequeg. You should change your handle to Deuce Bigalow. He carried a water test kit in a fanny pack IIRC.

I should add that to the "you know you are a grower" thread.

I love all the educated people around here. Lots to learn! Thank you for the info, it will not be wasted.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Thanks for sharing your experience and info.. :biggrin: Every 3-4 days is perfect... I add back water/newts every 2 days.. so every other watering I could add the pool shock solution to it... but would it be the entire volume of the RES? as all the chlorine has gone... Getting a test kit (queequeg mentioned) to make sure I keep a perfect level of chlorine would be the best method.
SGS
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6686952&postcount=159
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6686959&postcount=160
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6700071&postcount=161
:tiphat:

queequeg152

Veteran
haha wtf. that last one is advocating chlorine dioxide?

the last wwtp i worked on(phase 1 100,000gpd) , they wouldn't even put in a chlorine dioxide system because of how "scary" the shit is...

what is the context of that last link? they are referencing dump tanks? i dont understand what theymean.

all clo2 systems ive put my eyes on used ejectors. idk wtf a dump tank is.

Last edited:

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
haha wtf. that last one is advocating chlorine dioxide?

the last wwtp i worked on(phase 1 100,000gpd) , they wouldn't even put in a chlorine dioxide system because of how "scary" the shit is...

what is the context of that last link? they are referencing dump tanks? i dont understand what theymean.

all clo2 systems ive put my eyes on used ejectors. idk wtf a dump tank is.
http://postharvest.tfrec.wsu.edu/PC2004B.pdf
:tiphat:

fido

its more important to maintain a known level of disinfection for a known about of time.

if you have a gigantic algal bloom 1 gram of 12% bleach solution will not have the same effect as that of say, 1 gram of bleach added to a very light bloom.

i ran and maintained my moms pool my entire youth, and even now and then when she throws her hands up.

IMO treat any recirculating reservoir like a pool. get a test kit, any reasonable DPD reagent, titration test kit.they cost nothing. shock to 10 ppm, and maintain single digit 1 or 2, for a few hours there after.

if you have a biofilm issue, which is common with poorly sanitized low light environments... almost no level of transient chlorine treatment will kill it completely.
you must either hold a huge shock, like 30 50 ppm for a long time, or brush everything down, breaking up the film, where after low level chlorine treatments will kill it off.

im posting this info because id like you to buy a reagent kit. Only with a kit will you be able to verify the amount of free chlorine. you can do the math all day long, but at the end of that day, only a test kit will verify the efficacy of what you are doing.

in a pool you can kinda...sorta( but not really) treat the pools ability to hold free chlorine over night, as a crude chemical oxygen demand test. when you can hold a chlorine level over night, the user can safely infer that there is little to no oxidizable organic material left in the pool (asshole mircobes or algae).

tl;dr

get a cheap DPD titration test kit. they cost nothing. if you like i can point you to a very good test kit... id link it but i admit to not reading the forum policy regarding links.

thanks good info