What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EYe protection - Welders goggles sfh 5

Mycel

So prior to my eyeballs getting baked in the sockets , I snagged some welders goggles . The lens says sfh 5 . Is this gonna be enough with bare bulb 1k? Or should I go with sfh 10 or ????

The sfh 5 pair I got seems to help , but still notice some bright spots after looking at the bulb.

G

grozzef

yeah i still get the bright spot with the bare 1ks and welders goggles so i just use em for when i'm doing a quick check(feel like a hen sometimes but i gotta check my babies) and turn em off for work and watering and just use regular ol incandescents

bobblehead

Veteran
lol... get a green light and go in during the dark period... or just turn the lights off for a minute if ya have to and use a fluorescent. sfh 5 is the standard recommended though.

bobblehead

Veteran
I've never used them, so I couldn't say... The extra protection is great, but would you be able to see the plans through them? If so, get them. Personally I'd go in there with the glowing hot orb turned off.

D

DHF

#5 welders glasses/goggles are the standard for workin in and around bare bulbs....any darker and yas can`t see shit....

And for the record....My old ass has backed into so many bare bulbs runnin krusty buckets for over 8 yrs , and guys.....it ain`t pretty....

More scorched hair , baseball caps and t-shirts than I care to remember....and Oh....

Branded permanently at least 3 times on the neck and both arms , maybe more.....

Got me some green eye tasklights and started workin my shit lights off when I switched to ebb and flow buckets and flip rooms....the rest was history....

Fuckabuncha Bright White Heat....work smarter not harder....

Peace...DHF.....:ying:.....

G

grozzef

lol dhf i feel ya, i got a few arm, back and dome brands. first brand was the worst though had to tell people at work something to explain the 6 inch red glowing burn on my forearm so i told them i was baking drunk and tripped into the oven lol.

icdog

I was just about to ask this question. For those who can't work when the lights are off what is the best protection?
I've done some searching and found some UVEX glasses that are supposed to be good. Do welders goggles block UV? Would you be able to see with 12k plus watts going with higher then 5 welders goggles?

At the moment I'm using glacier goggles that are supposed to block 100% UV. I'm looking for something stronger.

Lifebreather

Veteran
I have some 5's and two pairs that are higher.

The problem really isn't with the bulb light smacking you in the face, it's when the light leaks in from the sides of the glasses and also when it bounces off your cheekbones and up into your eyes.

I've tried everything aside from full wrap welding goggles, I still don't like going into my room w/lights on. Period.

Tfresh420

You can grab some at home depot pretty cheap, definitely should wear them for those of us who hand water and the lights need to be on. If not eyes will be hurting after a few weeks. Worth the investment.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah wear goggles or at least sunglasses...I make a point of NEVER looking at the lights but I really should get something stronger.

But Like Bobble I now do most of the work with the lights off.

Mycel

Thanks!

Just gonna use the goggles to go in to check or to turn off the lights . I Will be working in there with the lights off or at night ! Only got 2 eyeballs

el bee

Damn it. I planned on just a set of Oakleys, but it sounds like I'm gonna have to bump it up. I love just hanging out in the garden, but gotta protect them eyes.

I've yet to switch to bare bulb vert, but did notice temperary vision issues from a 250w MH and a 400w HPS before I started wearing my sunglasses. Crazy. I'll have to look into the green eye task lights. Thanks DHF

Someone should see if we could get a bulk discount for all us vertgoers! There will only be more buyers as people begin to realize that the best light in the galaxy doesn't have a reflector!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I'd do a little digging.

Seems to me that the shade 5 will work for preventing damage to your eyes.... unless you're actually staring right into the bulb. You may see spots.. but only for a few seconds. Definitely check with an ophthalmologist to be sure.... any doc with welders for patients should know offhand about the difference in eye damage between spots for a few seconds and spots for a 'while'... at least I hope they would. Hell, find an eye-doc that smokes... you'd be surprised how many do. Ask them directly :)

In a garden with just a few lights.... train yourself to look 'around' the lamps as much as possible and use the goggles. It will take time so don't expect to be perfect right off the bat.

In a several k garden I would turn the lights off on the side of the room I was working on for 10 minutes before working with regular room lights. Other half/section of the room is turned off 10 minutes before I'm done with the current section and so forth. Though not always possible, it's best to train yourself to work with the working hid's behind you as much as possible. (not recommended when you're right next to a lit lamp though as the burned ones of us have pointed out)

The plants can stand the lights being off for a little while without losing production to any noticeable degree. You'll appreciate the lowered amount of heat while working as well. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Latest posts

Latest posts