What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ebb n Flow with Peat Moss?

Ursus

I would 100% prefer to do my very first ebb n flow with coco but, that damn stuff is impossible to find around me. The closest thing I have is peat moss. Will this make for a good ebb n flow medium? Or will it become too saturated? Thanks in advance!! :dance013:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I'm quite curious to hear other people's answers.

I currently grow in peat/sphagnum and getting ready to switch to coco when I start my E&F table. I water via submersion, so the plant gets lowered into a bucket of water+nutes until it is completely underwater. Then I wait for the bubbles to stop emerging from the soil.

So I don't really think over-saturated is the issue. If it was, my plants would never grow.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason you want coco over peat moss is that you want it to dry out faster so that you can feed more often.

I can go 2-3 days between watering in bio bizz lite mix (sphagnum/peat/perlite) with 30% added perlite. In coco the experts seem to recommend twice daily watering.

You could always order some coco online...

Ursus

Thanks for the post Anti. I've just wanted to get my hands on some coco to see how it fairs in my applications. This is my first ebb n flow like I said, and my method would be more like yours since I only have a shitty timer that only can do 1 on/off per day. I wonder if I could get away with flooding it once per day without it drying out :thinking: because if it did, I could always add some organic compost to "clump" the soil a little more.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Thanks for the post Anti. I've just wanted to get my hands on some coco to see how it fairs in my applications. This is my first ebb n flow like I said, and my method would be more like yours since I only have a shitty timer that only can do 1 on/off per day. I wonder if I could get away with flooding it once per day without it drying out :thinking: because if it did, I could always add some organic compost to "clump" the soil a little more.

You can get a heavy duty- two outlet 20 program per week digital timer with battery backup for ~$15 at Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever is in your area, or you could order it online if there's NOTHING. Doubt anybody's gonna raise any eyebrows over something like that.

Then you can schedule as many on cycles as you need.

Definitely worth the $15 investment.

Still hoping one of the experts can pop by and enlighten us as to the definitive answer.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Like Anti said, it would hold too much moisture.
Holding too much moisture in hydro can cause other problems that will migrate to your res, roots, etc. Honestly not worth the headache.
Perlite-floats. No problem if top fed with drippers tho.
Hydronton rocks-people love em people hate em. Make sure to waste the dust off really good before using
Rockwool cubes-work fine
Coco-great medium as well
Rocks-need to have rocks that do not release mineral deposits as they get wet.

Zealious

river rock... lava rock...
You can find both at lowes/HD when you go to get your new timer.

Peat could work But it might fuck with your ph.. its a bit acidic.

Thats just my opinion but im a little new to the hydro thing...

Im doing ebb as well with hydroton and im having a problem with water sitting in my table. its pissing me off.. I just dont like stagnet water.. I placed a little fan pointed right at the table ... it does help evaporate most of the water but I wish there was a beter way since I feel like im evaporating nutrients and money at the same time...

anyone know a cure?

while were at it... h2o2.. YEs or no? if so how much.. think ive hard something like a tsp per gal or mabye it was a tbl per 10 gal..

Crush

I would 100% prefer to do my very first ebb n flow with coco but, that damn stuff is impossible to find around me. The closest thing I have is peat moss. Will this make for a good ebb n flow medium? Or will it become too saturated? Thanks in advance!! :dance013:

You can't use that.

Use either rockwool or hydrotron/lavarock pellets.

Personally I'm not a fan of rockwool.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I clone in sphagnum moss, so I see no reason why you can't grow in peat moss.

SPHAGNUM MOSS CLONES

picture.php

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
One more thing, the green tinge is not mould, that's its natural colour.

Crush

care to elaborate a little more? :thank you:

Peat moss is very acidic (PH of 4.5 or so) and holds a LOT of water.

The roots have hairs on them that need to breath in oxygen. There are tiny air bubbles in the soil mix that the roots can breath from.

When you over water, especially with perlite as it's very prone to over-watering, you smother the roots with water and they can not transfer nutrients up to the plant. The roots absolutely need air.

Most people kill their plants by over watering than under watering. Over watering actually stresses the plant and slows growth a lot. Also, there is root rot that can happen due to over watering. The people using DWC often get root rot if the system isn't designed correctly. Peat moss will cause your roots to 'sit in water' if you have a constant drip going on it.

What makes hydroponic media special, is that there's 'always air' no matter how much you water.

Rockwool I just don't like because it's expensive and it's 'evidence' if it gets found in your garbage. It also causes PH issues in the reservoir or at least it used to back in the day.