What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question about reservoir in drip system

keylime

I have a low ceiling restriction, and love the drip system I have right now. Presently I have 2 trays 4ft by 4ft and 10 inches high. The bottom one being the reservoir, the top one is the plant tray. The top one is separated by a couple of 2x4's.... and of course the reservoir catches the unspent nutes back as it flows via gravity.

I would like to eliminate the bottom tray, which would give me a foot more height. I was thinking of using a plastic garbage can as a reservoir. However I need some help in figuring out the mechanics as I cannot use gravity to return the unspent nutes without some help.

Y

yamaha_1fan

I dont know they do it, and I have wondered myself. Just never taken a look or researched it. But people using buckets have the same issue. They obviously have to have a way to drain uphill back into the rez. If nobody replies, check out the DIY links and see if you can find a tutorial on buckets.

I am thinking a small res with a pump and float switch. When it fills up, it pumps back into the res.

D

DEDHEDFRED

Yamaha`s right keylime..........Bro of mine from the UK has a recirculating top fed with the main rez outside the grow area..........

The runoff drains to what he calls a "sump" rez that has an industrial electrical float switch set at a certain level and wired to a submersible pump that shoots the runoff back to the main rez when the solution reaches that set level.........

I run the same type float switches in my ebb and flow bucket rooms as a failsafe device to prevent flooding.....

Hope that helps......DHF.......... :joint: .......

Last edited:
Y

yamaha_1fan

I know people have posted links but I forget. Check aquarium type web sites and marine/boating supply sites

or I guess google

electric float switched

D

DEDHEDFRED

I buy mine local but aquahub.com will give you a good idea of what to look for......

Mine are in the $50 range but nearly indestructable........

Hope that helps..........

Peace...........DHF......... :joint: .........

Gottagrow

I don't know if this will help. But I just started using a drip setup. It consists of an ebb&flow table and res but with the table having a cover. The water drains into the table were it gravity feeds down to the main res. But I use standard 5' tall drains that I had for the ebb&flow setup. So water stays in the table till it hits 5' of hight (7in high table) this allows the roots to sit in water all the time (I run the pump 24-7) I guess it would be considered an DWC drip setup but the ladies are loving it. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Latest posts