What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

G

whats up fellow organic heads; I am in wk2 of my veg and my babies look great. some r as high as 2ft. I grew from seed and i am ready 2 start my advanced nute medium feed schedule. I have used just plain water at 6.5 ph and built my soil using potting soil, sphagum moss, light warrior, and perlite. my question is should I start with building more green in my garden i.e. N or microbes with sucanat 4 the trace elements?

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
BurnOne said:
LC’s Soiless Mix #1:
5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
...Check the link in my sig line below for cheap earthworm castings. Free shipping to the eastern USA.

[snip]

RECIPE #6
And finally Pure Blend Pro...
Pure Blend Pro veg formula for hydro/soil and Pure Blend Pro flower formula for Soil. Simply use as directed on the label. It's a stand-alone fertilizer. That means, everything you need is already in there so don't let the guy at the hydro store try to sell you something more.

Burn1

I'm going to run one or two very small plants in the veggie garden in 2.5-gallon pots using PBP Soil. Worms Way sells a 3-pack for $15... Grow, Bloom and Liquid Karma.

When they say "standalone"... is it standalone only if you buy their extras/supplemental products (i.e. Meta-K, etc.) or can you run just Grow during veg and then just Bloom (or Bloom/LK) through to harvest?

Thanks-

Dig

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rollindoughlow-
There are several other things you need in there besides N and trace elements. Add powdered dolomite lime to your final mix @ 2 tbs./gal. And you need humus. Use worm castings, homemade compost or mushroom compost. Check for recipes at the top of this thread. Kelp or seaweed will provide all the trace elements (micro and macro nutes) you'll need.
But to answer your question...Yes, now is the time to start feeding a balanced nute program. Again, check for recipes at the start of this thread.

Dignan-
That Botanicare 3 pack is all you'll need with a soiless mix like that.
Good luck.

Burn1

hey everyone- just harvested my girl in a 5gal pot. I left her guts on the stem cause she's got a fantastic fruity tart taste, of which I cannot get enough. The thing is, I didnt properly prepare the soil beforehand so I dont know whats in there, Just that its an all organic mix of peat, mom and pop soil mix, perlite, and MG organic choice, I believe, minus the nutrients used by my girl.

My problem lies in my misunderstanding of preparing the soil to pH balance itself.

I have the following soil ingredients: peat, perlite, bone meal, kelp meal, EWC, and dolomite lime. I also have grow, bloom, and topmax from the biobizz line.

Can any of you organic nutcases help me get her back on track? :joint:

cannigrow

SEnsiwolf, it sounds like you got what you need. Just pick a soil mix among the many, whether it be for veg, in which case you'd want to use more of that bone meal or something high N if you're planning on mixing it in the soil, or something with higher P like guano for flower. Powdered dolomite lime for cal/mg.Usually something like 50-60% soil, maybe split the rest between perlite and castings...more perlite if the peat doesn't already have it mixed in. You could also just mix the castings, perlite and soil, powdered lime add some Mike and use that as a base soil, then feed with teas...orrrr I guess you could make a few different soil mixes depending on what you wanna do. Others can tell you better than I can. My organic thumb is not yet green.

Anyways,

I just got 5 sour bubble bx4 beans popped and ready to plant. Tell me how this sounds for a starter mix.

I prepared this in clear 16 oz cups and used ewc, promix w/ extra extra perlite, and watered with a liter of water mixed with about 5ml LK. NOw the hitch: I sprinkled a little crushed up Plant Success (mike) in the middles of four cups, and covered it with a very thin layer of perlite. Then packed more mix on top and watered down in preparation for these very special seeds. Any thoughts? I really want to give them the best possible organic life.

Last edited:
I solved my problem with about 15oz of EWC and a tablespoon of kelp meal on top of the soil. I just watered like I normally do and about 3 days later, I started seeing new shoots and leaves have turned dark green. I feel like a successful farmer :joint:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Dignan said:
I'm going to run one or two very small plants in the veggie garden in 2.5-gallon pots using PBP Soil. Worms Way sells a 3-pack for $15... Grow, Bloom and Liquid Karma.

When they say "standalone"... is it standalone only if you buy their extras/supplemental products (i.e. Meta-K, etc.) or can you run just Grow during veg and then just Bloom (or Bloom/LK) through to harvest?

Thanks-

Dig

Hey Diggums,

It is completely stand alone, it MAY require additional Ca or Mg but you can just use dlime in the soil at 1TBS/gallon and you'll be set with only those 3.

S

boggah

hey B1--- i got the 3.8 cu/ft bale of promix bx i also have 30lbs of EWC and 23gallons of perlite. i'm not good at math, did i get enough EWC for LC's soiless mix2

Shifer

1 for soiless mix does dolomite have to be powdered cause i bought granule

2 whats the difference between compost, humus, black earth?

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
You can put your dolomite in a cheap blender and powder it, just do it outside or your better half will tear you a new one ;).
Pellets leave bigger pockets of lime in the soil, it can work but personally I would powder it.

S

V

vonforne

Shifer said:

As far as the lime is concerned Master Suby has the answer there. It is one I use quite often with a lot of amendments.

Now as far as the compost goes, it will contain some amount of NPK and can be tailored to fit a growers needs. It will contain micro-organism beneficial to the soil structure. It is also used as a soil conditioner.

Humus (forest) It is a stable organic compound, with aromatic nuclei, rich in free radicals. It will also provide fulvic and humic acids.

Black earth, a humus-rich soil with high nutrient content found in most parts of North America.

Any of these would be great soil additions. Or in a combination. They will provide a greater variety of soil micro-organisms.

V

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Shifer did you edit your post to add that #2 ? or did I just completely miss ? #2 lol.

Goos answer Vman.
S

V

vhGhost

Burn One - What do you think of the MSM mix? good for beginners ?

Last edited:
"prob already been said but I thought i should mention"
If you use pro mix you aren't full organic, it contains inorganic wetting agents. Im not saying it matters just wanted to point that out.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Your right, it is not 100% organic but then again there has always been and will always be a debate around what 100% organic realy means and what counts as organic. :spank:
Some debate using guano's is like eating shit, others consider dolomite lime and other types of lime inorganic, Christ some peeps still thing PbPrr lineup is organic and it's not. :bashhead:
Perlite is not organic :nono:

I think once your into the swing of soil recycling, making you own EWC and compost, feeding nothing but organic teas then you can safely call yourself a "purist".

I'm still working on it.

S

K

kokua

Suby said:
Christ some peeps still thing PbPrr lineup is organic and it's not. :bashhead:
Perlite is not organic :nono:

S

BurnOne said:
Dignan-
That Botanicare 3 pack is all you'll need with a soiless mix like that.
Good luck.

Burn1

Perlite might not be organically or naturally derived...but there isn't anything about perlite that is going to take away from your organic environment that you are creating in the soil. The micro biology isn't going to be compramised one iota from useing perlite or from the water retaining crystals that promix has in it.

You can grow fantastic tasting, perfectly clean herbs from using pure blend pro...its just not organic :) So that means you need to flush it out :joint:

I haven't heard anyone mention biobizz nutes...anyone esle using these. They are 100% OMRI certified organic and are a wonderful compliment to any soil food web.

The fungus is among us :)

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
boggah said:
hey B1--- i got the 3.8 cu/ft bale of promix bx i also have 30lbs of EWC and 23gallons of perlite. i'm not good at math, did i get enough EWC for LC's soiless mix2

Just use a coffee can or cooking pot for "parts" and use it till it's all gone. That should be enough for a lot of mix. Don't for get the powdered dolomite lime.
Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shifer said:

1- It MUST be powdered for quick release and complete mixing.
2- Nothing. It's all composted organic matter.
FP

Latest posts

Latest posts