What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield issues on Closed loop column

Sirdizz

hey guys I’ve had the fortune of being able to use 6”x48” column to extract but seem to be pulling very small yields even with a lot of tane. Anyone else finding this problem?

Are you running bi flow? Or just top down wash? If you're not doing a bottom flood, you're likely experiencing channeling, especially with a column that wide.

CaptainCL

Starting material quality is the biggest factor that determines yield. If you are flooding from the top here are three suggestions to increase yield:
-Getting columns extremely cold so butane perfuses through the plant material more thoroughly. Though this could potentially decrease overall yield because non target elements are excluded from the end product when you get the column extremely cold, a more thorough soak ultimately solvates more target elements.
-Using a higher pressure hydrocarbon mixture by adding propane, isobutane, or nitrogen into your gas source. The higher the pressure, the more evenly the solvent perfuses through the plant material.
-Use a showerhead end cap. These may cause the butane to evenly spread at the point of injection, but their effect be negligible [I suspect the butane spreads at the point of injection as soon as it hits plant material]. I've never tested yield on identical material with and without a showerhead end cap, but I like using them.

If you really want to get everything out of it, bottom flood and do multiple floods.

CaptainCL

pulverizing your material to achieve a really even homogenous pack with a column that wide. Sorry for the triple post.

packing tighter will leave less channels for solvent when top spraying. Packing matters very little when bottom flooding if you use enough solvent to get the job done. We prefer 3-4lbs of solvent per pound of material.

Latest posts

Latest posts