What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pittmoss. Has anyone tried it?

h.h.

Veteran
I didn't keep any notes.
A bag of PM is about 12-13 gallons.
I used an equal amount of sphagnum peat moss that had been screened through a 3/8" screen to remove the bigger stuff.
Five gallons of good worm castings.
Parboiled rice hulls.
Pumice.
3/8" zeolite.
green sand (more zeolite).
Soybean meal.
Neem/karanja meal.
Fish meal.
Yucca extract.
Oyster shell flour.
Crab meal.
Insect frasse.
Kelp.
Biochar.
Marine char.
Oatmeal.
Chia.
Epsoma Organic vegetable fertilizer.

Some of the stuff was fermented in an EM-1 type fermentation.

Sea90, in very weak amounts.
Fulvic acid.
Pine bark extract.
Yeast flakes.

Started in straight Pittmoss.
Moved to 12 gallon fabric pots under 6,500k cfl. 24/7 light.
Decided to move them into the garage during sub freezing weather causing damage.
Severe topping to remove damage.
Added HPS, then some cheap screw in blurple LED lights.
Added 5 x 5 tent with 400w of 3,500k COB lights.
Added 200w 3,000k along with 200w 1750k COB lights.
Today added 240w 3,000k quantum boards.

Tangerine Dream auto seed from Growers Choice.
Picture @ 61 days.

growingcrazy

What are your thoughts on what it feels like compared to soil after a round? Any added compaction?

Thank you for the grow details! Now we know it functions in a soil-less medium at least.

h.h.

Veteran
No compaction. It's still a pretty loose mix.

I added the chia to one of the ferments before using it. I thought would keep it from sprouting.
About a month in, I dug my hand into the pots just to get a feel of it all and found chia growing down deep in the soil. I thought it would cause problems, but it never did. My opinion is that it was just so well aerated, even a couple inches down, the chia had everything it needed.

I have no real complaints except price. I think I can get another round out of it. It's blended in. Hard to tell it's in there except for texture.
I may have to re amend after that, but I don't expect it to ruin the mix if and when it does break down.
Won't know til I get there.
I'm on my 4th bag and imagine I'll be getting more if need be.
Makes for an easy soil. Perhaps to easy for some. It holds moisture. I don't add a lot of nutrients. I don't need to water a lot.