What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hash oil techniques and solvents for non BHO hash oil?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the US benzene is the chemical name for a highly carcinogenic compound. "Because benzene is a human carcinogen, most non-industrial applications have been limited."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

And petroleum benzine is a relatively unknown, and loosely defined term for a petroleum faction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_ether

Petroleum ether
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Benzine" redirects here. It is not to be confused with Benzene.

Petroleum ether is the petroleum fraction consisting of aliphatic hydrocarbons and boiling in the range 35‒60 °C; commonly used as a laboratory solvent. The term ether is used only figuratively, signifying extreme lightness and volatility."

"The very lightest, most volatile liquid hydrocarbon solvents that can be bought from laboratory chemical suppliers may also be offered under the name petroleum ether."

"Petroleum ether bears normally a descriptive suffix giving the boiling range. Thus, from the leading international laboratory chemical suppliers it is possible to buy various petroleum ethers with boiling ranges such as 30-50 °C, 40-60 °C, 50-70 °C, 60-80 °C, etc. In the United States, laboratory grade aliphatic hydrocarbon solvents with boiling ranges as high as 100-140 °C may be called petroleum ether, rather than petroleum spirit."

"Ligroin is assigned the CAS Registry Number 8032-32-4, which is also applied to many other products, particularly the lower boiling ones, called petroleum spirit, petroleum ether, and petroleum benzine. "Naphtha" has the CAS Registry Number 8030-30-6, which also covers petroleum benzine and petroleum ether: that is, the lower boiling point non-aromatic hydrocarbon solvents.

DIN 51630 provides for petroleum spirit (also called spezialbenzine or petrolether) which is described as "a special boiling-point spirit commonly used in laboratory applications, having high volatility and low aromatics content." Its initial boiling point is above 25 °C, its final boiling point up to 80 °C."

So what is the "benzine" Rick Simpson is referring to in this video? (or see the attached screenshot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZK-1hQ9QbQ

He could be referring to light petroleum ether, but from the Wiki quotes above you can see this could be anything from the 35-60C faction, which is just pentane and hexane to broader factions up to naphtha.

Benzene (the carcinogenic compound) has a boiling point of 80C, so a petroleum benzine (petroleum ether) faction below 80C (35-60C) doesn't contain benzene.

White gas, Coleman Fuel, naphtha, and lighter fluid can't say they're near 100% anything on their MSDS's. In spite of what Rick says, they are crude solvents in that they contain benzene, and even minute residual traces (> 2 ppm) of benzene have been declared unacceptable by the FDA.

FDA USP <467> Residual Solvent classification lists,

https://www.usp.org/sites/default/files/usp_pdf/EN/USPNF/generalChapter467Current.pdf

Petroleum ether (35-60C)
https://www.rightpricechemicals.com/buy-petroleum-ether-35-60-ligroin-online.html

Pentane (36C)
https://www.rightpricechemicals.com/buy-n-pentane-99-online.html

Hexane (69C)
https://www.rightpricechemicals.com/buy-hexanes-online.html

Benzene (80C) highly carcinogenic!!!
https://www.rightpricechemicals.com/buy-benzene-reagent-acs.html

Otherwise, right on Rick!!! :biggrin:

I just discovered Rick Simpson's take on this from several years ago.

Rick Simpson
July 7, 2013

Has Arno Hazekamp gone nuts or what? Has he ever produced an extremely potent and sedative 95-98% THC oil with olive oil? Really?

Show me the lab results if you have them, Arno. If you don't, don't give people such stupid and irresponsible advice. You don't know the difference between light and heavy naphtha, you use Coleman fuel which we don't recommend, and you pretend to be an expert in extraction methods and you draw conclusions? Based on what? This is really ridiculous and this piece of false information is going to kill patients worldwide and Arno Hazekamp will be directly responsible for that.

Congratulations, Arno. You don't have a clue about what you caused by these outrageous and stupid lies. You are just another "scientist" who follows from wrong assumptions, that's all there is to it. You should have asked what to do, you would not make a fool out of yourself.

Your advice is wrong. Coleman fuel is not what we recommend and if you took the time to read our instructions, you would see that piece of information right there. We recommend pure light naphtha. That means pure, no additives. And you made a scientific study about a solvent we don't recommend or use because it has additives in it.
Why exactly did you do that? To prove that Coleman fuel is not a solvent we recommend? Is this why you went to a university? You can't read the instructions and follow them? Is it really so difficult for you? You are a scientist and you don't know that there are additives in Coleman fuel?

How many terminal patients have you cured to be able to draw conclusions about "the best way" to make Rick Simpson Oil, Arno? You have never seen the RSO, you don't know what it is and you make studies about it. If you knew what the RSO is, you would never write such nonsense like you did. Bye. JB

Exacting About Extracting, Backes Backs Olive Oil

Michael Backes kicked off an informative discussion about extraction methods with a recent post that quoted in full an FAQ piece by Arno Hazekamp. Here’s why Backes, who is director of research & development at the Los Angeles Patients & Caregivers Group, backs olive oil.

“I speak with hundreds of persons with cancer about cannabis. Nearly all of them ask me about using cannabis oil to cure their cancer. Here’s what I tell them…

The majority of oncologists in United States recommend cannabis to their patients, whether they live in medical cannabis states or not. That’s reality. They typically recommend it for symptomatic relief of the side effects of cancer treatment. Ask any oncologist. Oncologists have been recommending cannabis to people with cancer since the ’80s. It’s not some suppressed medicine.

Cancer has been around for as long as we’ve been around. Cannabis has been around as a medicine for thousands of years. Cannabis was not considered a cancer treatment, back in the day. It may be preventative of some cancers, then and now. It might also encourage a few cancers, too. Cannabis may provide promising treatments for a variety of tumors. But… it may also encourage certain types of cancer and it would be nice to know which ones it kills or slows and which ones it encourages. Medical science doesn’t know, so caution is definitely advised.

Cannabis oil for topical treatment of some forms of skin cancer looks like a very promising treatment and appears to have been effective for many people with certain forms of skin cancer. Will it work for all skin cancers? No, it won’t. Skin cancers come in too many forms and not all will respond to cannabinoid therapy.

High dose oral cannabinoid therapy with cannabis oil is going to down regulate parts of the endocannabinoid system resulting in reduced cannabinoid receptor density. There is no one that can currently tell us what reducing that receptor density does.

It may be that high dose cannabinoid therapy with cannabis oil retards the proliferation of some types of cancer and tumors. It may be that low dose cannabinoid therapy cures others. It may be that certain cannabinoids kill certain cancers and encourage other cancers. This isn’t a simple problem, so don’t listen to simpletons for advice when dealing with it.

Cannabis oil is an unproven treatment for cancer. It is not a cure for cancer. A cure for cancer is considered something that keeps you cancer-free for five years. There aren’t enough people that have treated their cancer with cannabis oil and are cancer-free to make the assertion that cannabis oil is a cure.

If you want to self-experiment with cannabis oil on your cancer, that is your right. It may not be your right to experiment on someone else.

The question is what is the most effective delivery method for cannabis oil therapy, oral, oromucosal, inhaled, or topical. Likely depends on the specific form of cancer and whether the cancer has spread.

Not all cannabis oil is the same. The difference depends on the cannabis variety from which it was extracted. Cannabis extractions that were sold as medicine in the 19th and early 20th centuries by big pharma were extracted from varieties of cannabis that are not widely available today. And the difference between yesterday’s cannabis and today’s cannabis is an important difference, when it comes to medicinal chemistry.

Cannabis oil that is available in most dispensaries is high-THC with no CBD whatsoever. CBD is not easy to find, but it is getting easier. CBD is not responsible for the “indica” effect (like a well-meaning person told me at a dispensary last week).

Cannabis oils made with solvents other than ethanol are difficult to purge of solvent residues. Solvent residues can be unsafe and some could potentially interfere with immune function required to fight off certain forms of cancer.

The safest way to make cannabis oil is not with Rick Simpson’s recipe. It’s with olive oil. And you won’t blow yourself up making infused olive oil and it’s cheaper than using solvents. Preferably make the oil from cannabis that has been lab screened for bacteria and molds. Never infuse raw cannabis into olive oil without pasteurizing the finished product. Anerobic pathogenic bacteria can thrive in olive oil.

Cannabis infused olive oil is highly perishable. It needs to be kept very cold and in the dark.

And lastly, I am not doctor and I don’t pretend to be one. I do believe that people have the right to treat themselves. I do not believe that people have some innate right to practice medicine on others.

Here’s a great new FAQ on cannabis oil from researcher Arno Hazekamp that was posted today, May 5, 2013 on the International Association for Cannabis as Medicine website . Definitely worth a read. My only suggestion would be to do his suggested infusion in a pressure cooker, since pressure cooking will kill any pathogen on the cannabis.

What is the best and healthiest way to produce cannabis oil?

by Dr. Arno Hazekamp

What is Cannabis oil?
Concentrated cannabis extracts, also known as Cannabis oils because of their sticky and viscous appearance, are increasingly mentioned by self-medicating patients as a cure for cancer. In general, preparation methods for Cannabis oil are relatively simple and do not require particular instruments. The purpose of the extraction, often followed by a solvent evaporation step, is to make cannabinoids and other beneficial components such as terpenes available in a highly concentrated form. Cannabis oil is usually taken orally, by ingesting a small number of drops several times a day. Please find here some information on the question whether cannabis can cure cancer.

How is Cannabis oil prepared?
Various methods have been described for the preparation of Cannabis oil. The most popular method, as described by former (skin)cancer patient Rick Simpson from Canada, suggests the use of naphtha or petroleum ether as a solvent for the extraction. Following the success of Simpson oil, a number of related recipes have sprung up, emphasizing small but significant changes to the original recipe. Examples include focusing on safer solvents such as ethanol, or preventing exposure to organic solvents altogether, by using olive oil.

What is naphtha or petroleum-ether?
In general, petroleum-ether and naphtha refer to very similar products, even though different names may be used around the world; e.g. in some countries naphtha is equivalent to diesel or kerosene fuel. Both solvents are a mixture of petroleum hydrocarbons (PHCs), often available in a wide range of qualities. All the solvent components should be considered harmful and flammable, and some of them, such as hexane and benzene, may be neurotoxic. Both naphtha and petroleum-ether are considered potential cancer hazards according to their manufacturers. Moreover, products sold as naphtha may contain added impurities (e.g. Coleman® fuel) which may have harmful properties of their own.

Are residual solvents a health risk?
Although Cannabis oils are usually concentrated by evaporating the solvents that were used for extraction, this does not completely eliminate residual solvents. As a result of sample viscosity, the more concentrated an extract becomes, the more difficult it will be to remove the residual solvent from it. In such a case, applying more heat will increase solvent evaporation, but simultaneously more beneficial components (such as cannabinoids or terpenes) may be lost as well. The use of non-toxic solvents should therefore always be advised, so that potential residues are not harmful to health.

What is the best and healthiest way to prepare Cannabis oil?
Recently, an analytical study (link to the article will follow here in a few days) was performed to compare several generally used preparation methods on the basis of cannabinoids, terpenes, and residual solvent components. Solvents tested included ethanol, naphtha, petroleum-ether, and olive oil. Based on this study, the following recommendations can be made:

As extraction solvents, ethanol and olive oil were shown to perform the best, extracting the full range of terpenes and cannabinoids present in cannabis plant material very efficiently. Additionally these solvents are safe for consumption.
Unfortunately, pure ethanol also extracts large amounts of chlorophyll from cannabis material, which will give the final extract a distinct green, and often unpleasant, taste. Removing chlorophyll by filtering the ethanol extract over activated charcoal was found to be effective, but it also removed a large proportion of cannabinoids and terpenes, and is therefore not advised. Additionally, in many countries consumption-grade ethanol is an expensive solvent, as a result of added tax on alcohol products.

Of the solvents tested, this leaves olive oil as the most optimal choice for preparation of cannabis oil for self-medication. Olive oil is cheap, not flammable or toxic, and the oil needs to be heated up only to 100°C (by placing a glass jar containing the product in boiling water for 1-2 hours) so no overheating of the oil can occur. After cooling down and filtering the oil it is immediately ready for consumption. As a trade-off, however, olive oil extract cannot be concentrated by evaporation, which means patients will need to consume a larger volume of it in order to get the same therapeutic results.

Preheating of cannabis to ‘activate’ (decarboxylate) the cannabinoids may result in loss of terpenes as a result of evaporation. If the full range of terpenes is desired in the final Cannabis oil, dried buds and leaves can be used directly for extraction, without preheating.

About the author
Dr Arno Hazekamp is a phytochemical researcher at the Department of Plant Metabolomics of Leiden University, The Netherlands. He also coordinates the R&D program at Bedrocan BV. This FAQ was posted on the invaluable IACM website, where you’ll also find a relevant paper by Luigi Romano and Hazekamp, Cannabis Oil: chemical evaluation of an upcoming cannabis-based medicine.

http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/en_2013_01_1.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/ricksimpsonofficial/posts/535157236531420

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Coleman fuel distillation. Since the water distiller has already proven itself by others to be up to ethanol usage, I grabbed a can of Coleman fuel from the garage to give it a challenge. I was all ready to go, and I see the can says it contains rust inhibitor. I just checked Rick Simpson's site, and he clearly states Coleman fuel contains rust inhibitor, but that naphtha is readily available without it.

The silicone gasket swelled up as expected.
You're going to blow up using that water distiller. :peek:

Silicone exposed to certain solvents like Hexane will kill a silicone seal.

I'll stick with my lab glass still with PTFE joint seals.
Hexane Solvents for Silicone Swelling

Silicone swelling provides several advantages over the previously mentioned methods. However, this method is not always the first that comes to engineers’ minds. This may be because one class of silicone swelling agents—hexane solvents—can have a higher up-front cost than options such as silicone oils or IPA. Also, hexane solvents are made of organic materials and are extremely aggressive solvents overall. Although they are very effective at swelling silicone, they also contain volatile organic compounds (VOC), which are regulated in many areas because they contribute to the formation of ground-level smog. VOCs are flammable and have a strong scent. Hexane solvents may remove ink markings on the parts, and they can also affect the elasticity of the material, possibly making it brittle or altering the physical properties of the silicone part.
Taken from here:

https://www.mddionline.com/swell-solutions-designing-silicone

I haven't played with Coleman fuel. But I think I found away to remove lots of the color from it prior to distilling. I read that the color in Coleman fuel is water soluble also. So I imagine Coleman fuel placed in a separatory funnel with water would allow a person to remove the color after multiple water rinses. While keeping the top layer which is finally distilled.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ I'm replacing all the seals with PTFE, thanks for the silicone/hexane swelling info. The 3/8" ID PTFE tubing from China came, stiff stuff. I'm waiting on a slightly smaller diameter length of PTFE tubing to arrive from overseas. The plan is to make a ring with the larger tubing connected internally with a short piece of the smaller tubing.

If I can get the seals to seal, I will have a device with which to prove whether large commercial solvent recycler units are suitable for use in cannabis oil production.

https://www.beccainc.com/solvent-distillation-recycling-equipment/

troutman

Seed Whore
If I can get the seals to seal, I will have a device with which to prove whether large commercial solvent recycler units are suitable for use in cannabis oil production.
Solvent recycling should already be their goal so as to cut costs and be environmentally friendly.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Cheap and easy but no solvent would be the rosin method. Parchment paper. Quality bud. And a hair straightener that goes to 300 f°..
Hope that helps I eat the chips afterwards too

MedicalMilitia

OK, let me preface this by saying, no I am not a chemist, and yes, just using solvents bought cheaply can make for some level of risk and toxicity, but done properly, that risk should be very minimal I don't wanna get into the inevitable "OMG never touch this random toxic thing!" kind of posts. If you don't feel comfortable with product made the way its being discussed in the thread, fine, but we don't need to hear that over and over I'm just interested in cheap, easy and relatively safe ways to make concentrates, from our actual experiences.

Now I'm no grower or expert either, but I know what I've tried and how it worked. I also know some of the hazards and pitfalls and have put myself at considerable risk over the years I've cooked harder drugs in the past, have over 10 years clean now, but I just wanna stress, that yes, safety matters to me, but cost effectiveness, ease and product results are what matter most to me For me, this can be recreational but is primarily a medicine, and I have to make it count, because I can't afford to just buy all I need as some can.

I primarily started experimenting because I got a friend with good source of cheap trim and bottom leaf from a volume grower I live in a trailer, so bubble hash is very impractical, as i have no freezer, just a slot that keeps things frozen sort of and ices over. So we pick the stuff for the buds and smoke em I don't see the point in wasting buds making oils I hear the "quality in is quality out" mantra and its somewhat valid, but i like the buds as they are and even bottom leaf alone (from quality strain plants) has enough cannibanoids to make this worthwhile. Plus, for me, the more bottom leaf the better, as it adds all that wonderful CBD to the product, and while yield is lower with leaf, Id argue that potency isn't as big a deal as folks say IMO, you get just as high off a similar amount, its just buds are tastier, higher yield and sure maybe somewhat more potent, but not so it matters to me.

Anyway, that said, we do blow BHO when we can afford to and when we can get together to do it, we do it outside safely as we can, but I can tell you other than quality of product, I have nothing I like about the process.

So I've done QWISO many times over the years and never come up with a product you could put in a dabber that didn't look black and taste nasty I hear cold is key, tried it, still was never happy with vaping the end product, stony, but bad nasty taste and dark color Would consider trying activated charcoal, but yeah, just never found this to make anything better than smoking quality Throw it on a bud, smoke it, then it taste fine.

So, recently I tried three batches with three paint store solvents, each 1 US quart and all around $10usd each, Denatured Alcohol (basically 90% ethyl, 10% methyl to make it relatively anhydrous), VM&P Naptha (Zippo Fuel essentially or paint and varnish thinner), and Acetone. All branded Sunnyside, available with ease locally, and all evap cleanly Yes, again, I know its industrial grade, but ease and cost count to some of us, and AFAIK, its safe, no residual solvent smells, tastes. Id bet some cash a commercial lab would test my stuff and find it acceptable as far as end product. I think the real hazard here is heated purging and fume inhalation. Heated purging is a necessity for me, as I live in trailer with cats Air evapping would not only expose my buddies to fumes, but they'd be sure to spill sticky product.

Simple method, keep weed and jar and solvent (except Naptha) in top slot of fridge at freezing temp, cold as I can couple hours, Naptha you warm in a water bath for the extraction, comes in a nice metal can, easily fit in my rice cooker I use for purging. I don't eat it so no de-carbing, and I think the heated purge does some of it anyway, but also no grinding, just dry crumbled de-stemmed stuff is ideal Stems contribute little and just act like sponges retaining solvent and reducing yields. Soaks should be short as possible with gentle agitations and and washes I do not separate the washes, but rather evap them together. Then I simply strain it off with a screen and coffee filter (screen over filter to keep plant material out of coffee filter), this allows you to collect kief from filter later and makes it filter quicker.

I think purging is where the health risk is The fumes can be awful. Denatured alcohol is better, though not at all pleasant, its only 10% toxic by volume anyway. Naptha I almost like the smell of, but would you willingly huff gas? Sure boiling naptha is awful for ya, not to mention flammable as hell, and acetone is the worst! Eventually I wanna build a closed system so as to recover solvents and for safety. In any case, for now I boil in a rice cooker on high outdoors I set a flat screen on the pan, with a small desk fan on top for weight and to blow fumes and walk away till about 2/3 is purged, usually about 20 min, I assume around 100c Then I take it on my lap with the fan to agitate and of course hot pads on, just slowly agitating as it boils off When it gets very thick, you can let it go to "warm" to finish and its good to stir and pop bubbles the help the purge You can also use a few drops of distilled water, because it boils at higher temp than the solvents, and helps finish the purge.

So the results I got were, that DN Alcohol, had highest yield, but lowest taste and color quality, the potency was very close, but way too much chlorophyll and sugars got through, not at all vapable.

Naptha made a nice product, with decent yield, deep brown in color Not "good taste" but entirely vapable and some who tried it liked it, but not me. :(

Acetone had the lowest yield, but I also had less than a bottle and less weed, but that cant account for the small yield entirely. I used the same weed and like 2/3 as much weed and solvent, and came out with slightly less than half as much. May try longer soak in fridge, but am open to suggestions? The quality tho! Very potent and tasty! A delight to vape, damn near BHO quality, just bit darker brown and nice and translucent.

Since writing the above I have read more about filtration maybe being the problem with alcohol and taste? It was suggested to use a 0 micron filter or less, but IDK, where to get cheaply? Experience anyone? Definitely willing to experiment more with it, as I get a usable product, just wanna refine for taste.

So anyway, my goal was a nice oil, vapes and tastes like BHO without the vessel, cost and risk of BHO Acetone is my new solvent of choice, because I got exactly that, but the whole purpose of this thread was to share experience, and develop methods to improve on, so have at please, I look forward to learning!

I use either 99% Iso or 94% Ethanol(highest proof available near me). But Naphtha is also a good solvent if it is available.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Naphtha keeps coming up, and here in the US naphtha is VM&P naphtha, or camp fuel like Coleman with unacceptable additives. Naphtha really needs to be purged well, but the same goes for hexane, and high purity hexane is readily available in any quantity you want for cheap. Pentane would be preferable as it is less toxic, but is more difficult to purchase, and is priced comparable to 100% ethanol.

My Solvents and Polarity list should include hexane, so check out the price versus quality of what I just ordered for $77/gallon delivered (I attached the assay results,)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hexane-1-G...201491?hash=item3afc222d93:g:sWsAAOSwry1aSI0A

The second shipment from China of PTFE tubing arrived. I included pictures of how they send it. There were no kinks in the two pieces sent, but you can see the kinks in the 3/8" ID piece I tried forming into a 10" circle. The 3/8" OD piece formed into a decent ring to use as the a lid seal for my distiller, but is too stiff, imo about 25% stiffer than nylon, and it doesn't bounce back into shape. I'm going to try nylon instead, a ~3/8" OD piece of nylon tubing I had on hand is shown in the pictures. I just ordered a longer length of 3/8" OD 'nylon 101' tubing to continue my project. Nylon is nearly as chemical resistant as PTFE, and it's high temperature range should be adequate to handle any solvent recovery temperatures.

But you guys know all about the stiffness/kinkiness of PTFE tubing, huh!?? :biggrin:

"New Stainless Steel Braided PTFE Hoses with Black Kink Resistant Coating

May 30 2017

We are constantly improving our equipment to raise the bar on standards for the Terpenator©.

All standard hoses are still the same stainless steel braided PTFE lines, but have been upgraded with a kink-resistant coating to prevent damage and prolong the life of each hose, therefore reducing maintenance costs, downtime, and subsequently lost profits. Check out our hoses."

https://terppextractors.com/blogs/news

Here's where I scored the PTFE tubing,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1mm-20mm-W...-Pipe-Size-Length-Selectable-Lot/301928034934

It has it's purposes, odd there is no US supplier.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_12d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_12d.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P1040370.jpg
    P1040370.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 24
  • P1040371.jpg
    P1040371.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 35
  • P1040372.jpg
    P1040372.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_12e.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_12e.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 27
  • fullsizeoutput_131.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_131.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P1040378.jpg
    P1040378.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 23
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Hexane has been reported to be three times as acutely toxic to mice as is pentane."

From the hexane entry found in Volume 2, pages 900-904 of The Encyclopedia of Toxicology, third edition 2014, Philip Wexler.

Library Genesis has free downloads,

https://gen.lib.rus.ec

Here's a link to a search result for the title, click on a mirror of the download you want, and then click on "GET" at the top of the new page to start the download. Closing other windows/tabs helps speed things along.

https://gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?r...open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=0&column=def

According to the FDA USP <467> Residual Solvents guideline, hexane is more toxic (290 ppm residual limit) than cyclohexane (3,880 ppm,) methanol (3,000 ppm,) toluene (890 ppm,) and xylene (2,170 ppm.)

Link to FDA USP <467> Residual Solvents,

https://hmc.usp.org/sites/default/files/documents/HMC/GCs-Pdfs/c467.pdf

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.45.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.45.53 PM.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.45.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.45.25 PM.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.43.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.43.46 PM.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're going to purchase hexane, you need to understand the difference between that which is nearly all n-hexane with the remainder being hexane isomers, and that which is mostly n-hexane with the remainder also being hexane isomers. Huge difference in price, and the tech grade is good enough for extractions as long as it is low in impurities like benzene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane

Pictures of how they shipped the hexane.

$77/gallon,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hexane-1-G...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Attachments

• P1040388.jpg
    P1040388.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 26
  • P1040384.jpg
    P1040384.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 31
  • P1040383.jpg
    P1040383.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1040382.jpg
    P1040382.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 28
  • fullsizeoutput_13c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_13c.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 30

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Relative density (specific gravity) readings of my solvents in parenthesis, the standard precedes it for comparison. I took my readings at ~70F as it was close to room temperature, but it states on the hydrometers they were calibrated at 60F.

cyclohexane C6H12 110-82-7 80.74C/177.33F 0.006 0.7781 @ 20C/68F (0.776)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclohexane

iso-pentane C5H12 78-78-4 27.8 to 28.2C/81.9 to 82.7F 0.006 0.6201 @ 20C/68F (0.6225)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopentane

n-pentane C5H12 109-66-0 35.9 to 36.3C/96.5 to 97.3F 0.009 0.6262 @ 20C/68F (0.629)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentane

hexane C6H14 110-54-3 68.5 to 69.1C/155.2 to 156.3F 0.009 0.659 @ 20C/68F (0.6725)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane

n-heptane C7H16 142-82-5 98.38C/209.08F 0.012 0.6838 @ 20C/68F (0.6985)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heptane

iso-octane C8H18 540-84-1 99.30C/210.74F N/A** 0.69194 @ 20C/68F (0.6945)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,2,4-Trimethylpentane

xylene C8H10 1330-20-7 138.5C/281.3F 0.074 0.86-0.88 @ 20C/68F (0.8690)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene

methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) C5H12O 1634-04-4 55.2C/131.4F 0.124 0.7405 @ 20C/68F (0.745)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_tert-butyl_ether

anisole C7H8O 100-66-3 154C/309F 0.198 0.995 @ 20C/68F (0.9951)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisole

ethyl propionate C5H10O2 105-37-3 98.9C/210.0F 0.204*** 0.8917 @ 20C/68F (0.893)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_propionate

propyl acetate C5H10O2 109-60-4 102C/216F 0.210 0.886 @ 20C/68F (0.891)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propyl_acetate

ethyl acetate C4H8O2 141-78-6 77.1C/170.8F 0.228 0.902 @ 20C/68F (0.906)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_acetate

dimethyl carbonate C3H6O3 616-38-6 90C/194F 0.232 1.0636 @ 25C/77F (1.0705)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_carbonate

n-butyl acetate C6H12O2 123-86-4 126.1C/259.0F 0.241 0.8825 @ 20C/68F 0.8825 @ 20C/68F (0.8835)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl_acetate

methyl acetate C3H6O2 79-20-9 56.9C/134.4F 0.253 0.9342 @ 20C/68F (0.9385)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_acetate

methyl iso-butyl ketone (MIBK) C6H12O 108-10-1 117 to 118C/243 to 244F 0.269 0.8042 @ 20C/68F (0.8055)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_isobutyl_ketone

ethyl formate C3H6O2 109-94-4 54.0C/129.2F 0.315 0.917 @ 20C/68F (0.929)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_formate

ethyl butyrate C6H12O2 105-54-4 120 to 121C/248 to 250F N/A** 0.879 @ 20C/68F (0.8795)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_butyrate

n-amyl acetate C7H14O2 628-63-7 149C/300F N/A** 0.8756 @ 20C/68F (0.8771)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyl_acetate

iso-amyl acetate C7H14O2 123-92-2 142C/288F N/A** 0.876 @ 20C/68F (0.8735)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoamyl_acetate

methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) C4H8O 78-93-3 79.64C/175.35F 0.327 0.805 @ 20C/68F (0.810)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

acetone C3H6O 67-64-1 56.05C/132.89F 0.355 0.7845 @ 20C/68F (0.795)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

iso-propyl alcohol C3H8O 67-63-0 82.6C/180.7F 0.546 0.785 @ 20C/68F (0.796)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

iso-butyl alcohol C4H10O 78-83-1 107.89C/226.20F 0.552 0.802 @ 20C/68F (0.8055)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobutanol

n-butyl alcohol C4H10O 71-36-3 117.7C/243.9F 0.586 0.8098 @ 20C/68F (0.8125)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Butanol

benzyl alcohol C7H8O 100-51-6 205.3C/401.5F 0.608 1.419 @ 24C/75.2F (no hydrometer for this range)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzyl_alcohol

n-propyl alcohol C3H8O 71-23-8 97 to 98C/206 to 208F 0.617 0.803 @ 20C/68F (0.808)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Propanol

ethanol C2H6O 64-17-5 78.24 ± 0.09C/172.83 ± 0.16F 0.654 0.7893 @ 20C/68F (0.8115)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

methanol CH4O 67-56-1 64.7C/148.5F 0.762 0.792 @ 20C/68F (0.7945)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

I keep my working solvents in a near air tight cedar/hope chest. The purpose of a flammable storage cabinet is not to contain an explosion, but to shield the flammable chemicals from an external fire/explosion.

"In case of a building fire, these cabinets protect the contents inside them."

https://www.labconco.com/product/solvent-storage-cabinets/1027

https://www.ehs.berkeley.edu/sites/...azardous-materials/chemicalstoragebooklet.pdf

Attachments

• P1040392.jpg
    P1040392.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 37
  • P1040394.jpg
    P1040394.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P1040395.jpg
    P1040395.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 32
  • P1040396.jpg
    P1040396.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many of the solvents I acquired came from Consolidated Chemical & Solvents. A few days ago this appeared at the top of their site's Home page,

"I am sorry for the inconvenience, we are having trouble at our facility and will be closed for a little while"

https://www.consolidated-chemical.com/main.sc

They had a fire last year and came back a couple of weeks later, today I found this,

Bucks County explosions: 'Field craft' led police to chemical company owner, DA says

Matt Coughlin - Contact Reporter
Of The Morning Call June 29, 2018 7:30 PM

“Field craft” — a term commonly used to describe the work of spies — led police to suspect a Milford Township chemical company owner was behind a spree of at least 30 overnight explosions across upper Bucks County since April.

Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub said Friday the technique led investigators to suspect David Surman Jr., 30, of Milford Township was involved in the explosions. He said investigators blanketed the area where the bombs were going off with “general surveillance,” noting it’s a large geographical area in Upper Bucks, but not heavily traveled.

Weintraub declined to get specific but said “predictive analysis, skill and luck,” played a role in the investigation.

Surman was arrested about 3:45 a.m. Thursday after authorities served search warrants at his home at 2470 Old Bethlehem Pike and his business at 2240 Spinnerstown Road, Consolidated Chemical & Solvents.

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking...emical-company-owner-folo-20180629-story.html

The video has more info, he was busted for meth and explosives.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I added acetonitrile to my cache of solvents, here's the post up of the purchase,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8362083&postcount=17

Also, I found I made an error of consequence, Kleen Strip and Sunnysides's xylene MSDS's state their xylene contains cumene!!

MG Chemical's xylene MSDS doesn't show it listed, but who knows???

The FDA Q3C Residual Solvent standards state a max of 2,170 ppm for xylene, and only 70 ppm for cumene.

Here are data sheets with and without the cumin listed as examples of how I became confused and somehow missed the cumene.

https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/pdfs/SDS_82232.pdf

https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/info_sheets/Xylol 822 Product Data Sheet.pdf

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many of the solvents I acquired came from Consolidated Chemical & Solvents. A few days ago this appeared at the top of their site's Home page,

"I am sorry for the inconvenience, we are having trouble at our facility and will be closed for a little while"

https://www.consolidated-chemical.com/main.sc

They had a fire last year and came back a couple of weeks later, today I found this,

Bucks County explosions: 'Field craft' led police to chemical company owner, DA says

Matt Coughlin - Contact Reporter
Of The Morning Call June 29, 2018 7:30 PM

“Field craft” — a term commonly used to describe the work of spies — led police to suspect a Milford Township chemical company owner was behind a spree of at least 30 overnight explosions across upper Bucks County since April.

Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub said Friday the technique led investigators to suspect David Surman Jr., 30, of Milford Township was involved in the explosions. He said investigators blanketed the area where the bombs were going off with “general surveillance,” noting it’s a large geographical area in Upper Bucks, but not heavily traveled.

Weintraub declined to get specific but said “predictive analysis, skill and luck,” played a role in the investigation.

Surman was arrested about 3:45 a.m. Thursday after authorities served search warrants at his home at 2470 Old Bethlehem Pike and his business at 2240 Spinnerstown Road, Consolidated Chemical & Solvents.

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking...emical-company-owner-folo-20180629-story.html

The video has more info, he was busted for meth and explosives.

WFM! Consolidated Chemical & Solvents is back!!! :dance013:

Their site has returned to normal, and they're again selling at Amazon.

I wish the owner well, and hope he gets off with a slap on the butt and probation, what a dumb stunt.