What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX's Workshop 2017

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
So I ended up having to dry trim the Zak Haze. My guess wasn't too bad, I had 38 grams of trimmed buds at 60-65 %RH in the jars. I had another 10 grams of very frosty trim. Not really enough to make bubble with.
picture.php

So let's press It! What follows is my current protocol. First re-press the trim/bud into 1.5"x1.5" pucks using the 600 lb pre-press. Then I put the puck in between the parchment paper which is in between the TFX (Teflon coated nylon sheet).
picture.php

The press is set for 95°C (about 200°F) and heated. The folded packet is aligned between the plates and pressure is applied slowly for about 20-30 seconds. I then rest for another 20 seconds and release. Here is the first press.
picture.php

The overall color is a little dark, I could probably press this cultivar at a lower temperature. Yields were good, about 17.5% from 10 grams of trim/popcorn. The flavor is delightful, fruity with a hint of pine and lemon. The high is stoney at the back of the head with a nice bit of energy. I can't wait to smoke a joint of the cured flowers.
picture.php

M

Mr. Sparkle

Nice, if i had the space for a press and wanted to spend the cash on building one id be down, but till then alcohol extraction for me.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I have been in need of some fresh fish fertilizer, so this weekend I did the dirty deed. First step is to get a fish, any fish. In my case I used an goldfish from my dad's pond that died. Next step is to weigh the fish. This one weighed about 500 grams.
picture.php

The next step is the worst part. I chopped up the fish in about eight pieces and put it in the blender. I have this blender specifically for blending fish smoothies.
picture.php

Add in about 3x the weight of the fish (about 1.5 liters) of water and 1/3 the weight of the fish (160 ml) of molasses and blend until you have a fish smoothie.
picture.php

Finally, I put the fish smoothie into two growlers with air locks and added the lactobacillus culture. These will spend at least two weeks fermenting. The lactobacillus will digest the fish into a form that the plant can use directly. This is added up to 15 ml/gal as a source of nitrogen and other micro nutrients.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Zak Haze at 12 daze flowering. I had to tied down the tops to keep them from rubbing the ceiling. They still have a other 7-10 days left on the stretch.
picture.php

CBD under the COBs got a bit too dry. The Juanita on the right took it better than the Cannatonic on the left. Both are at seven days flowering. Juanita takes a minimum of 11 weeks. I need to defoliate the bottom of the screen. They got a little full.
picture.php

The four Jilly Bean seedlings got transplanted and trained for mainlining. I had previously topped for two growth tips. Today I took the lower branches for clones, topped for four tops, and tied the two main branches down. They will go under the 150w CMH with the two auto flowers.
picture.php

M

Mr. Sparkle

mmm fermented fish smoothie, makes this smoothie in front of me taste extra good :puke: thanks for that lol

I always have wanted to try some jilly bean seeds, just have never gotten around to getting any, that plus with them supposedly being able to herm at a second glance according to sub cool due to the unknown orange skunk give to jill, make me hesitant to get them, just cause don't necessarily want that in future genetics, but ill definitely be watch to see how they turn out, smell and taste wise :good:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
mmm fermented fish smoothie, makes this smoothie in front of me taste extra good :puke: thanks for that lol

I always have wanted to try some jilly bean seeds, just have never gotten around to getting any, that plus with them supposedly being able to herm at a second glance according to sub cool due to the unknown orange skunk give to jill, make me hesitant to get them, just cause don't necessarily want that in future genetics, but ill definitely be watch to see how they turn out, smell and taste wise :good:

I'm hoping that won't be an issue. I wasn't impressed with th Agent Orange cut I ran. No real orange taste and the plant was temperamental. It uses the same orange velvet as Jilly Bean. One of the dispensaries here has a cut of it that tastes like biting into a tangerine! I hope to find something similar.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
So, my thermostat circuit in the storage cabinet has never worked right. Instead of kicking on the ventilation fan when either the veg or the flower chamber was too hot, only the flower chamber was working. I noticed my veg chamber running hotter now that I have the COBs, it was getting 100°F+ when the COBs were off, so I decides to fix it. I found the loose connection, but when fixing it I accidentally shorted out the thermostat for the flowering chamber. So now only the veg works! I ordered a new one, and it will be fixed soon. Lesson here, when working with electronics (even low voltage) it is best to discharge the circuit before working on it.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
It's been a while since my last update. I've been busy, then the holiday. Things are going smoothly if a bit slow. Zak Haze in the screens finished stretching and I did a major defoliation. One thing that seems apparent from these pictures is I need to lower that bulb a good six inches or so. Notice the heavier growth at the top of the screens.

Before
picture.php

After
picture.php

The Jilly Bean seedlings have recovered from their transplant, training, and topping. Now they are ready for their next round of training and topping. Another week and they should be ready to flip. I have some cuttings of each and am waiting for them to root.
picture.php

The CBD cab is kicking along still. I got the thermostat and replaced it. Now both areas will trigger the exhaust fan. Temps are comfortable at 68-77°F.

Cannatonic
picture.php

Juanita
picture.php

The fish fertilizer is finished and bottled up. It took on an orange or pink hue from the goldfish I used. I have been using nothing but my organic fertilizer for the last few rounds and have come up with my own "3 part" formula. First up is the fish fertilizer, I consider this my "micro" and use it through most of the cycle. Next up I have some cannabis leaf FPE, which I need to make more of. I consider this my "grow" and use it through veg and stretch. Finally I have the bannana, squash, and papaya FPE. This is my "flower" and I use it all through the flowering cycle. The feed schedule is split into four phases:

Veg:
10 ml/gal fish
10 ml/gal grow

Stretch:
10 ml/gal fish
5 ml/gal grow
5 ml/gal flower

Early flower:
10 ml/gal fish
10 ml/gal flower

Late flowering:
5 ml/gal fish
15 ml/gal flower

They get fed once a week with CalMag between feedings. The last week or two they get plain RO water.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
This summer has been hot and dry. The COB cab has gotten a bit more yellow than I would like for four weeks. Some of that is the spectrum of the lights, when I turn them off they look much better. I upped the fish fertilizer to 10 ml/gal and dropped the flower to 10 ml/gal. Otherwise buds are starting to form as normal. Here are some close up shots.

Juanita is going just like I wanted. Nice and full screen, maybe a bit taller than needed, but should yield well.
picture.php

Cannatonic is not as full or as tall. The buds seem a little fatter, more commercial leaning.
picture.php

I love cloning in the summer. All of the Jilly Bean clones rooted very well. I havent had 100% success rate in quite a while. I now have two of each so I can flower the seed plants soon. Hoping for a good male to female ratio.
picture.php

The Jilly Bean seed plants are still beening mainlined. Last time they were trained and topped for four growth tips. Now they have been trained and topped for eight. Once the tops get a few nodes, I will flower them. This technique definitely adds loads of time to veg. These seeds cracked about eight weeks ago. The slow growth was mostly due to neglect. The auto flowers should be finishing up any time now, so they will be a nice boon harvest.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I've picked up this idea from another forum in PsychedelicSam's thread, Another Tincture Thread, Try it You'll Like it. The concept is an oral spray similar to Sativex.

Well I have about 6 grams of food grade rosin. Long story short, I don't use filters for bud anymore. First I broke off 2.13 grams worth. I am intentionally trying to make this a bit more concentrated to see how far I can push potency before I get separation. I usually use about 1 to 1 1/2 grams per ounce of ethanol. By my estimate, this should be like reducing Sam's normal recipe by half.

I put it in a baby food jar and in my toaster oven at 240°F for about an hour, until the bubbling stopped. At first there were solvent bubbles (they look like soap bubbles) because I never purged the last of the ethanol. After a few minutes those stopped and the CO2 bubbles started up (they look like beer bubbles). Once that stopped, I gave it another 15 minutes or so and turned off the heat.

While it cooled, I gathered the rest of my supplies and smoked a joint of Zak Haze. I needed ethanol, vegetable glycerine, and peppermint extract. I also used a syringe to measure and a one ounce spray bottle.

Next I measured out 1/2 oz. (15 ml) of ethanol and added it to the decarbed rosin. A bit of heat may be needed to get everything to dissolve. The Green Dragon was then transferred to the spray bottle and I had to try a spray on my tongue. The taste was pleasant, floral with a bit of bitterness (it's pretty green). I removed the sprayer and took another two or three sprays to clear it out.

Another 1/2 oz. of vegetable glycerine and 1/2 teaspoon (1.5 ml) of peppermint extract were added to the spray bottle. This was shaken vigerously for a few minutes. I tried another spray on the tongue. Initially very minty like a breath spray, I may have used too much peppermint extract. The aftertaste was of the flowers with a sweetness to it, it was quite delicious.

I tried one more spray under the tongue. It stung a bit, but didn't leave my tongue feeling leathery like pure GD does. Potency is tough to judge right now. I've had about four or five sprays and a joint over the last two hours and am ready for bed. I'll try some in the morning on a clearer head and bioassay the potency.

Morning Update:

My spray bottle is Amber, so it's hard to tell how much clumping I got. There does look like some of the waxes stuck to the side of the bottle. I sometimes see that with just plaid GD. I should have winterized it, but I didn't have enough alcohol.

I did notice a distinct separation this morning. A quick shake mixed it back up easily. It has been in my pocket today and not separated. The volume of separation looks like the volume of the peppermint extract I added: a couple of ml at the top. The color of the separation is dark on top.

The potency seems pretty good. I took 4-5 sprays last night and over slept this morning. I took one spray sublingually this morning and it took the edge off. Another spray about 20 minutes later and I am comfortably medicated for work. I think I'll take one more and see where that takes me.

This spray came at a good time as I was just told I can't vape on campus anymore (it's a non-smoking campus). There is no way I am standing out in the desert sun (only 90°F today) with no shade to vape. The sublingual dosing burns a bit, but the glycerine coats it and stops that leathery, burnt feeling I get when I try GD sublingually.

I'm already thinking of ways to make it better next time. I would like to winterized the rosin, and use a better grade for a better flavor. I would like to try the more concentrated flavor oils, I have some lemon and a very lemony strain, Zak Haze, that would make a killer spray. I would also like to try this with the P3 (natural decarbed 1:1 THC:CBD) tincture as a "rescue" med. The only problem is I think I would have to keep it refrigerated to keep it inactive.

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and 1/2 teaspoon (1.5 ml) of peppermint extract were added to"

that got me saying 'uh-oh' :laughing:

why is my text white?!?!?!
[/FONT]

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Fuck! I think I may have killed my Tahoe OG mom. I waited too long to water her. I hope she pulls through, but I'm not too hopeful. Maybe with time and some TLC she will get well enough to clone and restart a new mom. I was so upset I didn't even get a picture.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Ok, I think I'm done pouting over losing my only elite clone, Tahoe OG. I'm watering and praying one tiny leaf will survive, but the outcome is questionable.

Quick update on the sublingual spray. It's working great! I have not vaped at work since I made it. It is discrete and effective! There is some research suggesting that sublingual dosing is the most efficient way to get cannabinoids into the bloodstream. I think that is the key to the success of this spray. In fact, I think it's time for a spray now!

The LED cab is at five weeks flowering. I normally take Juanita around 11 weeks, so a little less than 1/2 way there... The Cannatonic (left) is bulking up and filling in the area. Juanita is starting to fill in as well, just more smaller buds due to her branching. They are still a little bit on the yellow side, so Im still feeding a little extra fish fertilizer. They got 10 ml/gal fish and 15 ml/gal flowering fertilizer. I took three clones of Skywalker OG for next round.
picture.php

The Jilly Bean seed plants are all trained and should be ready for 12/12 this weekend. This is one of my best attempts at mainlining. They should each have eight colas. I'm hoping for three females after all this time and work. Regular seeds are nice, but what a waste of space and time when using this technique.
picture.php

Here are the Zak Haze at 6 weeks. I really need to lower that bulb another 6 inches or so. Notice the best buds are level with the bulb? They are frosting up now and the pistils are turning brown. I was reading up on this cultivar, not a lot of info, and someone said Zak Haze was a 10 week strain. When I got it I was told eight and took her at 8 weeks last time and am very pleased with the results. I was planning 9 weeks this time. Maybe I should give a couple an extra week on top of that.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The Bonsai moms were trimmed and watered. You can see the poor Tahoe mom that didnt take the extended drought very well.
picture.php

Close up of the Tahoe. I'm still watering and hoping one of those lower branches can make a comeback. It's a shame, I was planning my next round to clone and grow my OGs: Tahoe, Skywalker, and Deadhead. Now I'm dissapointed that I stopped the colesium, I would have had clones or a flowering plant to re-veg as a backup.
picture.php

Well, out with the old and in with the new. Jilly Bean & Bubba Kush S1 clones. The Bubba Kush S1 will go in after Zak Haze. The Jilly Bean will be saved for mothers. The seed plants will be flipped to 12/12 Sunday.
picture.php

Auto flowers were moved out of the CMH and put in the file cabinet. They will get a few days of darkness before getting the chop. I think I will do another round of autos in the filing cabinet next.
picture.php

I got some light bulb extenders for the CMH cab. They are something like 8" extensions. This brings the bulb to about the center of the screens. Ill snap a picture later. The Jilly Bean seed plants have been flipped to 12/12.