Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Making your own kelp meal?

Thread Title Search
Making your own kelp meal? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2021, 05:06 PM #1
DanTheReggaeFan

DanTheReggaeFan is a jewel in the roughDanTheReggaeFan is a jewel in the roughDanTheReggaeFan is a jewel in the roughDanTheReggaeFan is a jewel in the roughDanTheReggaeFan is a jewel in the roughDanTheReggaeFan is a jewel in the roughDanTheReggaeFan is a jewel in the rough
Making your own kelp meal?

I've recently been getting more into organics and I've read great things about kelp meal. I live along the south coast of England so have pretty easy access to kelp that washes up along the shore. Does anyone know if I could use this to make my own kelp meal?

Is it even the right type of kelp? If it is how would I go about making it? Do I just try and wash of as much salts as I can, dry it then grind it up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
DanTheReggaeFan is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:17 PM #2
Cvh

Cvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivor
Cvh is online now Quote

Old 02-20-2021, 06:26 PM #3
Bud Green
I dig dirt

Bud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivor
Dan, as an organic gardener, I have no access to sea kelp as I live inland..

However, I would think that if you collect any of it, just soak it in a barrel of fresh water to remove the sea-water salt, and use it as mulch...

Or, after drying, chop it up then mix it into your garden soil..

Kelp contains all kinds of good micro-nutrients which will do your garden good.
Plus, as it decomposes, it will add organic plant material, like compost does, and make your soil composition better..

Isn't Mother Nature grand !
Bud Green is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:19 PM #4
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really niceMaple_Flail is just really nice
Maple_Flail is offline Quote

Old 02-20-2021, 07:22 PM #5
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivortrichrider is a survivor
i wouldn't even wash the salt off.

"I'm not always a dick...but when I am, I drink cheap beer".

trichrider is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:27 PM #6
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Green View Post
Dan, as an organic gardener, I have no access to sea kelp as I live inland..

However, I would think that if you collect any of it, just soak it in a barrel of fresh water to remove the sea-water salt, and use it as mulch...

Or, after drying, chop it up then mix it into your garden soil..

Kelp contains all kinds of good micro-nutrients which will do your garden good.
Plus, as it decomposes, it will add organic plant material, like compost, and make your soil composition better..

... I would add, you will have to do several rinses.

Some people understand when you tell them,
not to piss on an electric fence,
others have to find out for themselves. ~ Im'one

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
but be prepared for the worst.

Civilization is the history of conspiracy!
What is civilization but, a conspiracy,
for all of us to do better, working together!
~Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch..
Switcher56 is online now Quote

Old 02-20-2021, 07:39 PM #7
FletchF.Fletch

FletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to beholdFletchF.Fletch is a splendid one to behold
Rinse, and use as Mulch fresh or dry it and work it into the soil. Lots of great micronutrients

Also, play some Dennis Brown and Richie Spice today just for good measure.

Last edited by FletchF.Fletch; 02-20-2021 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Adding
FletchF.Fletch is online now Quote

Old 02-20-2021, 08:11 PM #8
Fitzera

Fitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud ofFitzera has much to be proud of
I've read to wash the salt off. My mother lives on the coast and she's collected kelp for her gardens and didn't wash. She's had no ill effect, but we're talking large gardens in the yard, not cannabis in pots or the like.

Personally I'd wash it just to be safe. I'm sure the plant matter itself is going to have sodium within it.

Real Gorilla Seeds testers Headbanger x OPG, C4DD x OPG and Seedsman Comparative grow the White OG
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=374419

Winter 2020 HPS/LED 5x5 Tent Supersoil Blumat and Chuck'n Grow Log
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368828

"Chuck'd Genetics"

IG: @chuckd_genetics
Fitzera is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:47 PM #9
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzera View Post
I've read to wash the salt off. My mother lives on the coast and she's collected kelp for her gardens and didn't wash. She's had no ill effect, but we're talking large gardens in the yard, not cannabis in pots or the like.

Personally I'd wash it just to be safe. I'm sure the plant matter itself is going to have sodium within it.
... IMO yes it will, hence several rinses.

Some people understand when you tell them,
not to piss on an electric fence,
others have to find out for themselves. ~ Im'one

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
but be prepared for the worst.

Civilization is the history of conspiracy!
What is civilization but, a conspiracy,
for all of us to do better, working together!
~Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch..
Switcher56 is online now Quote

Old 02-21-2021, 03:13 AM #10
40degsouth

40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light40degsouth is a glorious beacon of light
Hey everyone,
love the thread DanTheReggaeFan.
I’ve collected and used my own seaweeds for a very long time in all aspects of gardening. I have found that all seaweeds are not equal and the more “grassy” type takes a very long time to break down and sucks up a lot of nitrogen out of the soil if you mix it in; it’s fantastic as a mulch because it does take so long to break down.
One of the best ways I’ve found to use more kelpy gelatinous types is, as BudGreen said, to soak it in a barrel of water. The nutrients become available quickly and I’ll just keep filling it up with water as it becomes depleted.
I’ve used it in guerrilla spots, piled on top of itself, which works beautifully because it seems to adsorb moisture, perhaps atmospheric, and keep the surface and feeder roots wet with a sludgy, sticky paste.
I’ve dried it out, in the sun and ran it through a garden chipper and carried the chips into inland patches.
I’ve never washed the salt off, so l guess this is a personal thing. Tom Hill believes salt should be kept to an absolute minimum but Korean Natural Farming has a fermented seawater input, believing seawater and land are ying and yang.
Seawater and seaweed, containes 75 more elementals than is found on land.
From my readings, seaweed is a soil conditioner, so works very well in compost heaps and the like, feeding the micro herd and in cannabis applications some growers will only use it from transition onwards, in liquid feedings because they believe it stimulates flowering auxins.
Personally I’ve used it in my liquid feeds all the way through a plant’s life with excellent results; l also noticed Schrews saying he includes liquid seaweed with his feeds and l don’t think anyone here would argue with his methods.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
40degsouth is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.