Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Leds causing stress

Thread Title Search
Leds causing stress Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2021, 01:21 AM #1
RedBeardy5

RedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura about
Leds causing stress

So I bought a hlg650r and everytime I put the plants under it they turn pale and droop. I tried hanging them 3ft above the canopy on low and everytime they droop. I then put them under my hps light and they perk back up. Nothing I try seems to work. Does anybody else have this problem? I'm thinking the red is stressing them, but then why are they recovering under hid lights.
RedBeardy5 is offline Quote

Old 02-14-2021, 01:37 AM #2
Hold Your Fire
Finding my way back home

Hold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivorHold Your Fire is a survivor
I have the same experience.

From what I have cobbled together, under LED's plants like it warmer and more nutes, maybe just calcium is often required.

My plants went to crap under my spider Farmer and recovered fully under hid's

My lights on temp right now in the middle of winter is 68-72F.

Lights off 62-63. We have had night time temps -5 to 10 above lately and I'm in the basement.

LED is now back in the box until I can get temps to 80, and figure out what else might be required.
Hold Your Fire is offline Quote

Old 02-14-2021, 02:17 AM #3
unregistered190

unregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivor
unregistered190 has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
I believe some plants are more sensitive than others to the brightness or spectrum of LEDs, has it been your experience with multiple strains or just one?

I have been running LEDs in small tents for years now and haven’t really had any issues I would attribute directly to the lights.

Maybe dim them down some or raise them higher above the canopy at first.

You will get them figured out and once you do you probably won’t look back
unregistered190 is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:24 AM #4
RedBeardy5

RedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura aboutRedBeardy5 has a spectacular aura about
Thats intresting. I did notice they do better when its around 85. I just harvested so my rooms are colder. Ill keep everyone updated.
RedBeardy5 is offline Quote

Old 02-14-2021, 12:40 PM #5
Koondense

Koondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivorKoondense is a survivor
Koondense has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
There is almost no infrared in the leds so keep the space hotter compared to hps, the plants will love it.

Cheers
Koondense is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:41 PM #6
f-e

f-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant future
Might be Mg. It's a common deficiency with LEDs and is necessary to form green. A subtle thinning of the leaf tips with a tendency to turn to the side is a good sign of this. Not twisting, they remain flat and healthy looking, but are not totally straight. Having the last 20mm veering off to the side just 10 degrees perhaps. Its the best sign to look for as nothing else does it.
f-e is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:53 PM #7
gatts

gatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nicegatts is just really nice
Def think its variant dependent too. My Nice Chunk looked a bit stressed, the first cut of her performed way better. 2 Skunks looked stressed but the Skywalker was fine. Same tent, germ times and nutes.
Running 2xSP250's in a 4x4 veg. Had to lift them to 1m of the canopy, the girls love it.
gatts is offline Quote

Old 02-14-2021, 02:48 PM #8
f-e

f-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant futuref-e has a brilliant future
There is no doubt it's strain dependent and that they can become accustomed to it over time.

It won't be long until we are buying seeds from breeders that work under LED's and as such produce the goods we need. Making HID growers do the moaning
f-e is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:22 PM #9
Muleskinner

Muleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really nice
IMO this is probably simple light shock. With LED's it can be difficult to judge the brightness on the canopy without a PAR meter. Most LED's provide far more blue & red wavelengths than HID. The brightness may look similar to your eyes but the plants are getting blasted.

I would allow 2-3 weeks for plants to get accustomed to the more intense LED light. Start with the light WAY far away or dim it way down. If 3 feet isn't working try 4 or 5 feet. Then increase the brightness on the canopy every few days until you're up to full power. The pro LED fixtures I was using needed the plants to start 55-60" inches away - 5 feet - but after a few weeks the tips of the plants could grow within 15 inches no problem. These were only 320 watt fixtures.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:46 AM #10
Horselover Fat

Horselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud of
I think if your plants get stressed under leds it's because they are not getting their other demands met. High light levels require other limiting factors to be met and it isn't as easy as with lower intensity. It may be that the plant's root system is not large enough or the feed isn't optimal.
Horselover Fat is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.