in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Winter rye cover crop

Thread Title Search
Winter rye cover crop Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2018, 03:27 AM #1
Tiresmoke19

Tiresmoke19 is on a distinguished road
Winter rye cover crop

So I've been thinking about months away From now when the tree leaves begin to drop and we near harvest our bud.... in my area the dark green canibis will really contrast with typical fall colors.

Winter rye or known as winter wheat stays bright green through winter. Anyone try blending themselves in with it? It's very cheap and grows by just tossing seed around. Looks like a normal grass to most. It would require planting about the time plants start to flower, not at initial planting of mj.

It would then be a fantastic mulch or thatch the next year.

Thoughts?
Tiresmoke19 is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 03:37 AM #2
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
I planted some winter rye along with red clover last Fall and the rye came up within a week of planting.

Can wait to see how it does once the snow melts.

Working on Something Sneaky

23 Days Left
troutman is online now Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 02:19 PM #3
Mtn. Nectar

Mtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of lightMtn. Nectar is a glorious beacon of light
one of the overlooked .....green manure crops......

best in growth.......
Mtn. Nectar is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM #4
Tiresmoke19

Only downfall I see is the rye eating up all the nitrogen, you guys have any issues with that? Mixing with red clover would be good to fixate free nitrogen from atmosphere but clover grows so slow

Old 03-14-2018, 05:41 PM #5
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond reputeTychoMonolyth has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I planted some winter rye along with red clover last Fall and the rye came up within a week of planting.

Can wait to see how it does once the snow melts.
Nice rabbit and deer food. Should distract them from your plants. They love the shoots.

I'm putting clover and Buckwheat (for pest prevention) May 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresmoke19 View Post
Only downfall I see is the rye eating up all the nitrogen, you guys have any issues with that? Mixing with red clover would be good to fixate free nitrogen from atmosphere but clover grows so slow
Hum... never thought of that but if you cut away a sq foot, it shouldn't be an issue. I think.

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895
TychoMonolyth is online now Quote

Old 03-15-2018, 04:19 AM #6
DuskrayTroubador

DuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to allDuskrayTroubador is a name known to all
Is the idea that winter rye will help the plants blend in?

Also, if one plants clover at the beginning of the season, could winter rye essentially be planted on top of it in August? Could you maybe cut out a few chunks of clover and throw rye in it its place?
haunted hill; then be sure, exalted to Jove’s high seat,
the great Sperm Whale shall lord it.

— HERMAN MELVILLE, from Moby Dick
DuskrayTroubador is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 AM #7
Tiresmoke19

My thought was for blend in yes as the winter rye stays green like some native grasses. Problem is those native grasses are usually in areas to wet for canibis.

Yes you can definitely over seed your clover with rye. I do a few acres of this for wildlife on my land. Great place to find shed antlers in spring!

Old 03-15-2018, 04:30 AM #8
Tiresmoke19

Rye is so easy to grow that I've had it grow a few inches tall in the box of my truck from a spilled bag

Old 03-15-2018, 04:44 AM #9
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
I planted the rye and clover to build up the soil. I'm not worried about how much nutrients are locked in the
plants while they are still alive. Eventually they will be returned to the soil. My regular plant fertilizers will help
me until then.

BTW: I applied an entire bag of lawn fertilizer on the area to help things along.

Once the snow melts, I'll be spreading dolomitic limestone to bring up the pH which is on the low side now.

Working on Something Sneaky

23 Days Left
troutman is online now Quote

Old 03-15-2018, 05:10 AM #10
Tiresmoke19

If your returning the green manure into soil anyways should look into tillage turnips. They pull up nutrients from deep and hold it up close to surface for next crop.

Rocky fields some smart farmers now plant fall turnips rather than plow and have to pick stones.