Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Thread Title Search
Malawi Style Cob Curing. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2018, 07:42 AM #2561
SweetSue

SweetSue has a spectacular aura aboutSweetSue has a spectacular aura aboutSweetSue has a spectacular aura aboutSweetSue has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Hey, thanks for that. I'm wondering why you've got the inner tray inverted? Just did an experiment with an old heat mat that's been used to ferment heavy mason jars of Kombucha for a couple of years and it got the container up to 36c, so I'm thinking that a newer heat mat would maybe give me a few extra degrees, but I am wondering if I need to be too fundermentalist about hitting exactly 40c, and if a few degrees either way would work fine.
I'm thinking that crisscross stacking of the cobs would fit many more in than a yogurt maker. Great idea.
Anyone using BPA free plastic for cobbing?
I'm actually doing this right now Mick, without the inverted tray. I used an inverted plastic shoe box with wooden clothespins for spacers (to keep the bags off the mat itself), covered with two heavy bath towels, folded in half, and it's been holding at around 104 F, give or take a degree to either side, for 7 hours, with no interference on my part at all. When it gets too hot for my comfort I remove one single layer of towels and it stabilized back to 104.
SweetSue is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:06 AM #2562
SweetSue

SweetSue has a spectacular aura aboutSweetSue has a spectacular aura aboutSweetSue has a spectacular aura aboutSweetSue has a spectacular aura about
Maybe this will work.

https://https://www.icmag.com/ic/att...1&d=1521010881
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	449521

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:07 AM #2563
SweetSue

There ya go big guy.

Now I'm going back to bed.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 AM #2564
repuk
Altruistic Hazeist

repuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to behold
Wow! looks like you've been cobbing all your life! niiice!

Glad to see you added the attachment!

You should see your attached pictures in the Insert Pictures window, be sure to change the From: dropdown menu to Attachments.

Or, if you know the URL of the picture, to display it straight on the post you can create the forum code to display it by adding IMG blocks:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2018-03-14 a la(s) 09.35.49.png
Views:	192
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	449523

Last edited by repuk; 03-14-2018 at 10:14 AM..
repuk is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 10:03 AM #2565
Mick

Mick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud ofMick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSue View Post
I'm actually doing this right now Mick, without the inverted tray. I used an inverted plastic shoe box with wooden clothespins for spacers (to keep the bags off the mat itself), covered with two heavy bath towels, folded in half, and it's been holding at around 104 F, give or take a degree to either side, for 7 hours, with no interference on my part at all. When it gets too hot for my comfort I remove one single layer of towels and it stabilized back to 104.
Looks like an awesome, cheap solution that will work.
Organic corn is cheap this time of the year, so my freezer is filling up with corn soup
Congrats on getting a pic up.
Mick is offline Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 10:11 AM #2566
repuk
Altruistic Hazeist

repuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to beholdrepuk is a splendid one to behold
Couldn't resist SweetSue... hope you don't mind? I'm sure everyone here is willing to see your pictures of the craft!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C85B8315-B1C5-4837-9C9D-A0C75875CD58.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	449524 Click image for larger version

Name:	6B8E257C-2282-4FA0-B24C-B3C0C6D16CAB.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	449525 Click image for larger version

Name:	67F19AC7-DD78-40E1-962C-5FDF6FD8333B.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	449526 Click image for larger version

Name:	08AC4A8F-965F-45CA-A52D-0550EBF8D08B.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	449527

Last edited by repuk; 03-14-2018 at 10:23 AM..
repuk is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 AM #2567
repuk
Altruistic Hazeist

SweetSue 420Magazine Cobbing Pics

Congrats on the job! It's clearly seen the love and dedication you put into it, for your skills!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E37339E-FA9F-4D1D-9587-7670E051501B.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	449529 Click image for larger version

Name:	C7ABCAD3-3F05-4782-98E3-E92F7270C05E.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	449530 Click image for larger version

Name:	530670C8-CE9A-4907-8FB3-390298519312.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	449531
repuk is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM #2568
Tangwena

Tangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud ofTangwena has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by repuk View Post
View Image

View Image

View Image

Congrats on the job! It's clearly seen the love and dedication you put into it, for your skills!
Thanks my friend your fast becoming Mr fixit on this thread ha ha
Well those buds look good and sticky and your cobs look perfect.
But I was sought of expecting that isn't it.
Much respect my lady you are on your way and looking good from here.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM #2569
SweetSue

Thank you gentleman. Educator by training and nature, and I'm spearheading what I hope will be an army of cobbing enthusiasts. It was necessary to hit it right. Lol!

I had to make you all proud.

repuk, thank you especially for all your efforts. You've made all the difference in getting this done.

I'm trying not to disturb the sweat box for the first 24 hours, and it's really hard not to peak, but the box is sitting stable at YIKES! 107 F! I covered it at 4 AM and went to bed. I don't think a couple hours at a higher temp will matter.

led05, what I like most about this simple box method is how easy it is to control the temp. I simply slip one layer of the towel off or on and it stabilizes. It's already down to 104.5.

I'll drop some pictures later. I don't have the drop down menu choices you describe repuk on the Apple devices. Still feeling my way in the door.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:02 PM #2570
led05

led05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really nice
Cob Method Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Hey, thanks for that. I'm wondering why you've got the inner tray inverted? Just did an experiment with an old heat mat that's been used to ferment heavy mason jars of Kombucha for a couple of years and it got the container up to 36c, so I'm thinking that a newer heat mat would maybe give me a few extra degrees, but I am wondering if I need to be too fundermentalist about hitting exactly 40c, and if a few degrees either way would work fine.
I'm thinking that crisscross stacking of the cobs would fit many more in than a yogurt maker. Great idea.
Anyone using BPA free plastic for cobbing?
The inverted tray is so the cobs are more uniformly heated, limiting any direct contact to a heat source.

With that said I want to update my fav methods of cobbing:

New order -
1) Dehydrator - 2) Seed Mat & Dome - 3) Crock pot - 4) Yogurt Maker...

The question a couple days ago about the Dehydrator got me thinking more about the air movement and fan in my dehydrator and previous comments I made so it caused me to go out and do some additional testing, timing happens to work currently too

The past two days I've retested the Dehydrator vs the seed mat. Both can hold temps within 1 degree for an indefinite period of time. My Dehydrator though can hold this anywhere from 90F - 160F within one degree. I tested this time with two sensors and it was dead on to whatever temp I set it, when I tested it previously it had moved some, I think it was a faulty temp gauge. I actually also now think the moving air is a benefit and likely to create a more uniform process, think convection.

The time and temp is more about nuances and subtleties. As long as it's wet enough and warm enough > 90 IME, fermentation will start and do it's magic, all curing stages are key too.

I moved Dehydrator above Seed Mat as it has a much larger temp range which is equally accurate. It also doesn't have any off gassing and frankly I just hate the smell. I'm damn sure the Mason Jars and quality Vac bags I use don't let any air in/out but regardless the seed mat and the dome covering it start to smell like crap when heating up above 95F and if I don't need to breathe or smell it then I won't. The trade-off, electricity...

A crock pot just doesn't keep a tight enough temp range or allow for enough variability IME, even the digital ones.

I've bought and returned 2 yogurt makers. I wanted them to work but they are inaccurate, cheap, small and overall quality is terrible.

Thinking a little more.... I have a combo oven/range that is electric and the top range Gas (best of both) but those with a Gas oven and a Pilot.... Has anyone tested the temp in their oven closed with just the pilot on? Depending on your home temp I'd guess this could be an option too....? Anyone with a Gas Oven? Could be a nice option that folks already have, nice size ! Certainly good for stage 2 at the least

Last edited by led05; 03-14-2018 at 03:00 PM..
led05 is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.